Author Topic: NITH DROWNING  (Read 2645 times)

Offline bob galloway

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
NITH DROWNING
« on: Thursday 23 April 09 15:35 BST (UK) »
Looking for archive news item or similar on Ninian Galloway who at age 17 years drowned in the River Nith just above the boathouse on or about July 4th 1894. Any help appreciated.
Galloway family originating Ayrshire then Lochmaben Dumfrieshire but also in Dumfries,Saltcoats,Ayrshire.Other Dumfriesshire surnames of Richardson,Clarke,Carlyle McIlwraith.Laidlaw from Crawford.Robertson and Taylor ,Buchan originating Banff and Peterhead and Fraserburgh.Ayrshire names of Keegans,Goudie and Galt.

Offline lesleyegreen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: NITH DROWNING
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 May 09 17:37 BST (UK) »
Hi
I managed to get the information you require from the Ewart Library in Dumfries, however the quality of microfiche and print out was poor so I have transcribed the article and attached it. The article took nearly a whole column in the Dumfries and Galloway Standard so there are 4 pages of handwritten transcripts. I will send them in 2 posts. Hope you can read my scrawl.
Regards
Lesley :o
Dumfriesshire-Green, Currie, Strong, Beattie, Dryden, Steel, Carmichael, Baird.
Ireland/Lanarkshire- Canavan, McConkey, Hillis
Ayrshire- Lang, Russell, Pollock

Offline lesleyegreen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 May 09 17:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Again
Here are the next two attachments.
Regards Lesley
Dumfriesshire-Green, Currie, Strong, Beattie, Dryden, Steel, Carmichael, Baird.
Ireland/Lanarkshire- Canavan, McConkey, Hillis
Ayrshire- Lang, Russell, Pollock

Offline bob galloway

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 May 09 14:23 BST (UK) »
Leslie,I have just got back form a two week holiday and switched on my computer.Thank you very very much for the trouble you have taken on my behalf.I have not had a chance to read the article yet but look forward to it now.Many thanks again. Bob
Galloway family originating Ayrshire then Lochmaben Dumfrieshire but also in Dumfries,Saltcoats,Ayrshire.Other Dumfriesshire surnames of Richardson,Clarke,Carlyle McIlwraith.Laidlaw from Crawford.Robertson and Taylor ,Buchan originating Banff and Peterhead and Fraserburgh.Ayrshire names of Keegans,Goudie and Galt.

Offline bob galloway

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 May 09 10:50 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to lesleyegreen for not only finding the article in question but for writing out by hand four pages of text from a cloudy microfiche.This kind of effort for another subscriber is inspiring and I am forever grateful.Bob Galloway