Author Topic: 1843 Marriage  (Read 2777 times)

Offline wildgoose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
1843 Marriage
« on: Friday 24 April 09 14:44 BST (UK) »
I have a reference from a Scottish birth certificate to a marriage 13 7 1843, Kells, County Antrim, Ireland
John MCDONALD & Jane MALCOLM.  They were most likely Presbyterian or Cof I

Is there anyway confirm this as both parties, particularly the mother,  seem to use different names on different documents.

John's children are recorded as McDONEL
Jane is recorded as a MALCOLM, MEEGHAN or MEAGHAN
on her dc her mothers name is GILLESPIE but on her marriage cert. it is a CUPPLES
All information taken from my personal database compiled from original sources - Crown Copyright acknowledge as stated.
Family names:SPINK (WRY), GOODWIN (DBY), PRATT (SCT & WRY), WILDGOOSE (DBY), STRETTON (LEI & DBY), MARTIN(ANS), NICOLL(ANS), McKENNA(TYR), STRAIN(DON), WALLACE(FIF), RAE(STI), PENMAN(STI) & CAPPIE(ELN).

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: 1843 Marriage
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 April 09 11:38 BST (UK) »
Can I ask, if there was more than one child born in Scotland, have you checked details on each birth certificate as to the date/place of marriage to see if it is consistent?

Also, I have come across numerous instances of Scottish death certificates where there is a discrepancy in the parents name/s of the deceased. Usually research has however borne out the parents name/s given on deceased's marriage certificate as being more accurate. Bear in mind that unlike at time of marriage, the person notifying the death may not be an immediate relative and even if so, may not have known or recall their grandparents/parents-in-law (or otherwise) name/s.

"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: 1843 Marriage
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 April 09 11:41 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at IGI. A parent search there records children born in Kells area in right timescale to a John McDonald and Jane Malcolm, albeit they are 'submitted' records so no source information.

For the timescale, Church records may indeed exist that would confirm such a marriage, but it is knowing which church to look at.

Re the IGI info. Would it be your own research that would be appearing there or are you aware of anyone researching same line?
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline wildgoose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
1843 Marriage
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 April 09 12:15 BST (UK) »
 I have looked at the IGI which is were I got my original info from for the date of marriage.  This was confirmed by the bc of their only Scottish born child (that I have found so far).  The reason for my original enquiry was the discrepencies with the surnames.  Now in Scotland the marriages I have relating to the is family are all either C of S or Free Presbyterian.

Birth cert. No.151
James McDONALD
b.1863, Feb 27th, Armadale, Bathgate, WLN
f.John MCDONALD, Coal miner
m.Jane McDONALD, ms MALCOLM
marr.1843, Jul 13th, Kells, County Antrim, Ireland
inf.John McDONALD, father
reg.1863, Mar 18th, Bathgate, WLN

Marriage cert. No.25
1869, Jun 18th, Bathgate, WLN
banns, Church of Scotland
sign.Daniel HAUGHAN, Coal miner, widr., 42
ures.Armadale
f.Robert HAUGHAN, Labourer, decd.
m.Jane HAUGHAN, ms ANDERSON, decd.
sign.Janet MEGHAN, wid., 41.
ures.Armadale
f.Alexander MEGHAN, Labourer, decd.
m.Jane MEGHAN, ms CUPPLES, decd.
min.? Joseph MIL?
wits.Robert SMITH & Jessie FLETCHER
reg.1869, Jun 18th, Bathgate, WLN

All information taken from my personal database compiled from original sources - Crown Copyright acknowledge as stated.
Family names:SPINK (WRY), GOODWIN (DBY), PRATT (SCT & WRY), WILDGOOSE (DBY), STRETTON (LEI & DBY), MARTIN(ANS), NICOLL(ANS), McKENNA(TYR), STRAIN(DON), WALLACE(FIF), RAE(STI), PENMAN(STI) & CAPPIE(ELN).