Author Topic: Lookup request  (Read 2309 times)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Look up please
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 24 November 07 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi poppymilly

IGI coverage of churches in Clerkenwell is limited, registers that have survived have been deposited at the LMA.

What search did you ask the LMA to undertake?

When did the supposed parents William and Elizabeth Bachelor marry in Clerkenwell.

(sorry I don't have access at home to the trees on Ancestry)

Have all the trees on Ancestry been copied from one to another without someone else querying the facts?

The LMA reading room is currently closed due to major refurbishment until the end of January 2008.

If you can wait until January, I'll have a look for you. If you can clarify the date of marriage it would help.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline poppymilly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 25 November 07 23:09 GMT (UK) »
hi i asked the LMA to search the baptism fore thomas andrew hendrick someone on ancestry suggest that his parents married on the 14 feb 1764 in sussex
however one of the children was born  in1781 it seems along time to wait to have children
i cant think of anywher else to look
poppymilly
Hi poppymilly

IGI coverage of churches in Clerkenwell is limited, registers that have survived have been deposited at the LMA.

What search did you ask the LMA to undertake?

When did the supposed parents William and Elizabeth Bachelor marry in Clerkenwell.

(sorry I don't have access at home to the trees on Ancestry)

Have all the trees on Ancestry been copied from one to another without someone else querying the facts?

The LMA reading room is currently closed due to major refurbishment until the end of January 2008.

If you can wait until January, I'll have a look for you. If you can clarify the date of marriage it would help.

Dawn
Hendricks from london
Bourlets from london

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 26 November 07 15:56 GMT (UK) »
i am trying to confirm who his parents are william hendrick and elizabeth batchelor marriage cert says St james clerkenwell vitness robert box

someone on ancestry suggest that his parents married on the 14 feb 1764 in sussex
however one of the children was born  in1781 it seems along time to wait to have children

Hi poppymilly

You are posting replies with 'conflicting' information.

Clerkenwell is not in Sussex.

1764-1781 to have children is perfectly possible, very little in the way of birth control back then, some of my ancestors were having children every year or so for 20 years, not that they all survived, 8-11 is the average.

May I suggest you go back to your notes and let us know what you have found out for definite for yourself with regard to Thomas Andrew, his siblings, and his supposed parents William & Elizabeth. Exact names, dates and places would be good.

Dawn

Chandler-Chelsea

Offline poppymilly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 27 November 07 15:35 GMT (UK) »
hi
i have thomas andrew hendrick death cert 25 feb 1853 westmooreland shoreditch he was burried at abney park
1851 census states st lukes middlesex thomas hendrick
1841 census states st lukes middlesex thomas hendrick
marriage 18 nov 1810 thomas andrew hendrick of clerkenwell in london
this is all the definate info i have on thomas andrew hendrick
i am trying to confirm who his parents are william hendrick and elizabeth batchelor marriage cert says St james clerkenwell vitness robert box

someone on ancestry suggest that his parents married on the 14 feb 1764 in sussex

Hi poppymilly

You are posting replies with 'conflicting' information.

Clerkenwell is not in Sussex.

1764-1781 to have children is perfectly possible, very little in the way of birth control back then, some of my ancestors were having children every year or so for 20 years, not that they all survived, 8-11 is the average.

May I suggest you go back to your notes and let us know what you have found out for definite for yourself with regard to Thomas Andrew, his siblings, and his supposed parents William & Elizabeth. Exact names, dates and places would be good.

Dawn

Hendricks from london
Bourlets from london

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 27 November 07 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi poppymilly

Thanks for that, it does help when other people are looking out for things.

Have you noticed on ancestry 2 people have posted a possible sibling called William, with father William Hendrick and Elizabeth BaTchelor as mother?
He has a birth/baptism date of 26 July 1785
Interestingly, his parents marriage is suggested as Sussex or Kent.

May I suggest that you post a message first on the Sussex board asking for a marriage index look-up for William Hendrick and Elizabeth Ba(T)chelor for 17th February 1764.

I know there are many people with access to this info on CD,although it's not complete it's a good place to start. You'll most probably get an answer almost immediately, even if it's a No

If this draws a blank, ask for the same on the Kent board but don't do both at the same time. I don't know if a Kent marriage index exists.

Dawn

Chandler-Chelsea

Offline poppymilly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 28 November 07 21:26 GMT (UK) »
hi posted message in sussex and then in kent results have come back and they have not been found do you think people make info up?
Hi poppymilly

Thanks for that, it does help when other people are looking out for things.

Have you noticed on ancestry 2 people have posted a possible sibling called William, with father William Hendrick and Elizabeth BaTchelor as mother?
He has a birth/baptism date of 26 July 1785
Interestingly, his parents marriage is suggested as Sussex or Kent.

May I suggest that you post a message first on the Sussex board asking for a marriage index look-up for William Hendrick and Elizabeth Ba(T)chelor for 17th February 1764.

I know there are many people with access to this info on CD,although it's not complete it's a good place to start. You'll most probably get an answer almost immediately, even if it's a No

If this draws a blank, ask for the same on the Kent board but don't do both at the same time. I don't know if a Kent marriage index exists.

Dawn

Hendricks from london
Bourlets from london

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 28 November 07 22:29 GMT (UK) »
hi posted message in sussex and then in kent results have come back and they have not been found do you think people make info up?

There's usually an element of truth but it's finding it.

Let me have a think about all this, I'm out all day Thursday but should get back to you Friday.

In the meantime if anyone else wants to join in, please feel free.

Dawn

Chandler-Chelsea

Offline poppymilly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 29 November 07 18:24 GMT (UK) »

thank

There's usually an element of truth but it's finding it.

Let me have a think about all this, I'm out all day Thursday but should get back to you Friday.

In the meantime if anyone else wants to join in, please feel free.

Dawn

Hendricks from london
Bourlets from london

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 30 November 07 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi poppymilly

It is suggested on one of the Ancestry family trees, that Thomas Andrew Hendrick 1783 comes from St Lukes, Finsbury. This should be followed up if it hasn't already.

The registers have been deposited at the London Metropolian Archives which is closed to the public until January 2008 while major refurbishment is done. However according to their catalogue the originals are not available, but if some of the registers have been transcribed onto the IGI there should be a film.

From the IGI there is a baptism for Elizabeth Batchelor 7 February 1764 St Michaels, Lewes, Sussex mother Elizabeth, no father.

I think this may be too much of a coincidence with a suggested marriage date of 14 February 1764.

Re: the marriage indexes, although they don't cover all the parishes in all of the county, they are a good place to start. I have the Surrey marriage index and again William & Elizabeth aren't there. Also Boyds and Pallots indexes don't give 100% coverage, but they aren't there either.

So where to go now?

Wait for the LMA to re-open and get St Lukes registers checked out unless this is what you have already paid them to look at. From my own experience a lot of baptisms that are in registers don't make it onto the IGI for whatever reasons. However before 1813 you may not get much more than a childs name and a father.

William & Elizabeths marriage will provve more tricky. You may be lucky and find it at St Lukes, if not it means going through each register for an ever increasing area until it turns up.

In the meantime I suggest you contact everyone on Ancestry who has your Thomas on a tree, explain you are trying to prove a marriage date for William & Elizabeth and ask them for parish names for the dates they have posted. Again you may be lucky, someone might have it on file but not on the internet.

I'll be at the LMA in January so can do the Finsbury look-up for you then.

Dawn

Chandler-Chelsea