Author Topic: Identifying Tarllyn Breconshire COMPLETED  (Read 3646 times)

Offline bjames57

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Identifying Tarllyn Breconshire COMPLETED
« on: Sunday 26 April 09 15:13 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help in the 1871 census my 2xgt grandmother gives her place of birth as Breconshire, Tarllyn   the r could be an n but either way I have been unable to locate the place does anyone have any suggestions.

Her name is Sarah Powell father John Powell on the 1871 census she gives her age as 24 but when married just 2 years earlier she gave her age as 20.

Sheard Family Batley, Lepton, Dewsbury
Squire(s) Family Batley, Hanging Heaton Dewsbury Chidswell
Nelson Family Hanging Heaton Birstall
James Family Barnsley, Glamorganshire, Pembrokeshire  Stackpole Elidor / Woodsend, Begelly
Lewis Family Begelly, Reynoldston / Reynalton Pembrokeshire
Gunter Family St Issells, Tenby Pwmbrokeshire

Offline cardiff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Identifying Tarllyn Breconshire
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 April 09 15:38 BST (UK) »
Do you have her marriage certificate? If she was under 21yrs at time of marriage it would have stated that because she would have had to have got permission to marry.
If you do have the marriage certificate what address is given and who did she marry? later census may improve on the info of place of birth. Failing all that If yoy get her Birth certificate it will give the actual place of birth... that would help to direct you to the area.
Hope this helps in some way
cheers cardiff ???
All CensusTranscriptions are Crown Copyright

Read Wiltshire /Pontypridd
Dove Lincolnshire/Pontypridd/Cardiff
Barnhouse Cardiff/Pontypridd
Wilkes Shropshire/ Staffordshire/ Rhondda
Fletchers Staffordshire/ Glamorgan
Wright Somerset/ Glamorgan
Probert Cardigan/Rhondda/Shropshire
Jenkins Cardigan
Lewis Cardigan
Morgan Penderyn/Pontypridd
Stephens Penderyn
David Glamorgan
Whitby Forest Dean
Hughes Goodrich/Pontypridd
Jackson/Smith London /Kent/Glamorgan
Hughes Maesteg/Ynyshire

Offline bjames57

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Identifying Tarllyn Breconshire
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 May 09 16:09 BST (UK) »
The marriage took place in MT Sarah was aged 20 on her marriage certificate and one year later documented as 24 on the census living in Castle Street Dowlais which is where she is to be found with her husband Evan Roberts in the 1871 census her parents are not at this address although her in laws to be found at Berry Square as stated on the marraige certificate.

I beleive I have found where she was born she was born in Gwndwnwall LLanfihangel talyllyn on 15th February 1851.

Although she gives her father as John Powell on her marriage certificate he is not stated on the birth certificate where only the mother's name Maragret Powell appears.   I understand that this was quite a common practice up to 1850 because of a confusion in the law about when a fathers name should or should not be given.

15th Feb 1851 is not too far over that date for it still to be an irregular practice particularly in Wales or of course it could be that she invented a father for the sake of appearences at the time she was married.

either way I wonder if any one could help with a look up of the relevant parish records for baptisims in 1851 it might shed a bit more light.

any help would be appreciated
Sheard Family Batley, Lepton, Dewsbury
Squire(s) Family Batley, Hanging Heaton Dewsbury Chidswell
Nelson Family Hanging Heaton Birstall
James Family Barnsley, Glamorganshire, Pembrokeshire  Stackpole Elidor / Woodsend, Begelly
Lewis Family Begelly, Reynoldston / Reynalton Pembrokeshire
Gunter Family St Issells, Tenby Pwmbrokeshire