Author Topic: Muirheads in the Denny Cemetery  (Read 9507 times)

Offline tomanst

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Muirheads in the Denny Cemetery
« on: Wednesday 29 April 09 00:51 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone. I have a copy of a letter my great grandmother Catherine Muirhead who wrote to my grandfather in 1926. Her parents were David Muirhead(DOD 21/4/1875) and Elizabeth Connal(DOD 3/6/1851). I am wondering if a stone exists there for them in the (Denny Churchyard Denny WP) as refered in the letter. Also in the letter was this note---"Brother Alexander Funeral was to Denny Cemetery( that is Maggie father) Maggie and I was at his grave after we came back. A very bonny spote and so well looked after"

I have found no information on him at all. Can someone help me out on that please? Catherine was the youngest of 13. The last 4 were born in Redhill ( Jean, Mary, Robert, and of course Catherine).

Also her father was born at the Durm Farm P of St Ninianes. I have not idea where this is or what it means. I am living in New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada so it is quite difficult to hop over the fence for a look. Thank you so much.---Tom
I have been researching Anstruthers from Stirling, Boyds and Mallorys from Ayreshire, and Muirheads from Redhill. On my mothers side I am researching Macklins and Simpsons, Andrews and Suttons.

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Christmas 2011. My daughter Clare with me.
    • View Profile
Re: Muirheads in the Denny Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 April 09 01:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom,
I can't help with the farm at St Ninians.  However, every legible stone at Denny cemetery has been photographed and transcribed.
For a fee (5GBP), you can obtain a full set of photos and transcription.

See this thread.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,374385.msg2482109.html#msg2482109

Dave
-------------------
FORREST (Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire)
ROONEY (Co Down, Co Antrim) 
BORTHWICK, FORTUNE, BARKER, SIVES (Lothians)
ANDERSON (Moray, Caithness)

Offline tomanst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 April 09 16:19 BST (UK) »
Dave .Thank you for your help. I emailed MM and received an answer this AM. Not quite the one I was hoping for but another bit of help to press forward and something else to check.

Tom
I have been researching Anstruthers from Stirling, Boyds and Mallorys from Ayreshire, and Muirheads from Redhill. On my mothers side I am researching Macklins and Simpsons, Andrews and Suttons.

Offline renard

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 April 09 20:01 BST (UK) »
Hi,
      Know nothing of the farm but St. Ninians is part of Stirling
now, maybe farm was demolished when housing scheme was b
built.
I am not sure about this hope someone on here can give you more information.

Jim

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 April 09 20:52 BST (UK) »
According to Ancestry's version of the 1851 & 1861 Census, this looks like the family:

Residing at Teth Fauld?, Denny

David Muirhead, age 30, Agricultural Labourer, born St. Ninians
Elisabeth Muirhead age 47
Jean Muirhead age 7
Mary Muirhead age 5
Robert Muirhead age 3
Catherine Muirhead age 1

1861 Census

Residing at Tethfauld, Denny

David Muirhead, age 60??, Agricultural Labourer, born St. Ninians
Mary Muirhead age 16
Catherine Muirhead age 10

Can't find David in 1871?

Offline glenview

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 August 09 04:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom
I have just registered and if you come back to this question I would like to chat a few specifics with you and what you have already found out. I have access to OPRs in Stirling Library but I don't have as much time as I would like; hence hoping to save time.
I'd like to know more details of the head of the family, David as I can't find reliable information about him or his wife Elizabeth.
The Catherine  born at Denny had an much older sister called Margaret whose illegitemate son was brought up with Catherine and her siblings so David was the only father figure in his life. When Catherine's older brother Robert married he went as a tennant to a farm in Kippen Parish, Stirlingshire. His nephew, previously mentioned illegitemate son of his older sister, was almost the same age and when he married he became tennant of the neighbouring farm. He is my great grandfather. Most of this is gleaned from cencus material and my mother's confirmation-"that explains a lot"
I'd also like information on Margaret if you have any.
I'm a bit nervous of this public forum and naturally I'm trying to be selective in details of christian names, location etc. People here are still shocked by revelations of illigitemate birth.        Mary
Muirhead St Ninians; Morrison, Muthil; Ferguson and Kerr, Argyll

Offline bairnj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 August 09 22:14 BST (UK) »
I have a few photographs of Muirheads at St Ninians churchyard - will post them tomorrow as I don;t have access just now. 

Offline tomanst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 August 09 02:32 BST (UK) »
Wow That would be great. Thank you very much.

Offline somervil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 December 09 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if this is at all relevant but I have Muirheads from St Ninian's in my family tree. John Muirhead, born 1635 married a Janet Thomson. Their daughter Janet Muirhead born 1661 married a James Waters.