Author Topic: Wainscott, Near Rochester COMPLETED  (Read 6836 times)

Offline scintilla

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wainscott, Near Rochester COMPLETED
« on: Wednesday 29 April 09 15:20 BST (UK) »
I've found my great grandparents living at Dickens Terrace, Wainscott in the 1911 census. This road doesn't seem to exist now. I have found a reference to it during the second world war (there was a famous murder of a young mother who had been visiting her parents who lived there in 1943). Does anyone have memories of this street, or a map from this time? I know the Wainscott area (I went to the primary school there - 1960's) but I don't have any recollection of it.

One thing I'm trying to double check is an address on a medal card for one of my great uncles. I'm 99% sure this is the right card, but the correspondence address is Dickens Street, Wainscott and I want to check that this is an error and there wasn't a Dickens Street in Wainscott.

Offline honeybun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Wainscott, Near Rochester
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 May 09 20:21 BST (UK) »
Scintilla

I have a Kelly's Directory of 1951 for this area and Dickens Terrace IS listed under the Rochester street directory section (with no more information) but it just says "See Wainscott".  I can't find this reference in the book at the moment but this probably means that the street was there in 1951 but maybe wasn't when you were at school in the 1960's.  I have just looked at a current map and it is definitely not listed now - unfortunately the map which came with the 1951 directory is missing.

Anyway this might help to confirm that it was at least there in 1951 so must have been before then.  If I find anything more I will post again.

Honeybun

Buckett, Woolton: Kent
Buckett: Hampshire and Surrey
Taylor: Wigan
Preece: Herefordshire

Offline honeybun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 May 09 20:28 BST (UK) »
Scintilla

Have found the listing for Dickens Terrace so if you want to check name/address let me know.

Regards

Honeybun
Buckett, Woolton: Kent
Buckett: Hampshire and Surrey
Taylor: Wigan
Preece: Herefordshire

Offline scintilla

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 May 09 14:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Honeybun

Thanks for your reply. I checked the 1901 census and it doesn't look like Dickens Terrace was built then, so it must have been built between 1901 and 1911. Someone looked at the 1913 Kelly's for me and found 2 shops in the terrace. I think from what I remember of the village and the shops there, that the terrace may have become part of Wainscott Road.

It's a great shame that the directory map is missing.

Merv

Offline kimellen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 January 12 00:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello Honeybun

Thanks for your reply. I checked the 1901 census and it doesn't look like Dickens Terrace was built then, so it must have been built between 1901 and 1911. Someone looked at the 1913 Kelly's for me and found 2 shops in the terrace. I think from what I remember of the village and the shops there, that the terrace may have become part of Wainscott Road.

It's a great shame that the directory map is missing.

Merv

Offline kimellen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 January 12 00:28 GMT (UK) »
hi, just joined , and saw your talking about wainscott, well i was bourn in wainscott , as was my father, and im sure he would know where dickens terrace was , i think it may have been wainscott road ..

Offline scintilla

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 January 12 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello kimellen, thanks for your reply. I must apologise for not marking this thread complete. I managed to get to Wainscott and did indeed establish that Dickens Terrace is now part of Wainscott Road. There is still a name plaque on one of the houses there - opposite the bottom of Frittenden Road where Gill Avenue meets Wainscott Road.

Offline kimellen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Wainscott, Near Rochester COMPLETED
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 February 12 00:42 GMT (UK) »
thats ok , if i can help i will try , what is your  relatives surname ? mine is gorham ,

Offline kimellen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Wainscott, Near Rochester COMPLETED
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 February 12 00:46 GMT (UK) »
 I Also went to wainscot school , i was born i 1959, and mr belson, was headmaster, my brother was 4 years older than me, he also went that school ,