Author Topic: Devon Lookup/advice please - TATCHEL(L) marriage  (Read 4343 times)

Offline 260ridge

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Devon Lookup/advice please - TATCHEL(L) marriage
« on: Saturday 02 May 09 16:17 BST (UK) »
I am interested in James TATCHEL(L) b 17 Jun 1804 in Milverton, Somerset. He married Margaret about 1817. (Yes, I know he was only 13, that's possibly why he was subsequently sent to Exeter Gaol. Their first child was born in Nov 1817). James joined the Royal Marines in 1821.

I have no information about Margaret or the place of their marriage. It might have been Stonehouse, Devon which seems to have become the family home. They were not married in Milverton. Does anyone have Phillimore for Devon and could look for me please?

Or could anyone point me in the right direction please?

With many thanks, Neil
Follett - Thorncombe, Dorset; Hughes - Bucks; Beard, Andrews, Dunstan - Cornwall; Kerby, Jennings, Tatchell - Somerset

Offline jannergray

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Devon Lookup/advice please - TATCHEL(L) marriage
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 May 09 18:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Neil

James TATCHELL married Margaret BAILEY at St George's Church, East Stonehouse on the 18th January 1817.

Interestingly there is also a record of another James TATCHELL marrying at St George's, East Stonehouse on the 1st April 1829. The bride of this marriage was Martha WREYFORD.

Hope this helps.

Graham

Offline 260ridge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 May 09 18:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Graham

I really am grateful. Thank you.

However it means James must have been 12 years old and I really can't believe this. In 1822 he was sentenced to be transported for 7 years for "felony" but was released from Exeter Gaol a month later. The family perception is this was for fathering a child whilst still a minor or falsely declaring his age at marriage but I doubt any clergy could be taken in by a 12 year old pretending to be 18.

I shall write to the Devon Records Office and get a copy of the marriage entry which will resolve this - I hope!

Thank you once again, best wishes, Neil
Follett - Thorncombe, Dorset; Hughes - Bucks; Beard, Andrews, Dunstan - Cornwall; Kerby, Jennings, Tatchell - Somerset

Offline jannergray

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 May 09 19:05 BST (UK) »
Neil

The marriage banns if they survive may give you the info you need.

12 years old is too young to be mistaken as an 18 year old. Is the year 1804 the year of birth or baptism of James? I ask as James may not have been baptised as a baby and therefore he could have been born before 1804.

Graham

Offline 260ridge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 May 09 19:12 BST (UK) »
Graham

A very good point. 1804 is the date of baptism.

I am posting an enquiry on the Somerset page for more information on his birth/baptism in the meantime I have ordered a copy of the register entry of the banns and marriage.

Thank you once again, Neil.

Offline jannergray

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 May 09 19:18 BST (UK) »
Neil

Its quite possible James was not baptised as a baby. I've found a number of baptisms in the past where the child being baptised has been up to 10 years old - also some instances of baptism in adulthood  - so if someone can check the original baptism register for you it may indicate a date of birth.

Best wishes and good luck!

Graham

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 May 09 20:12 BST (UK) »
I did check the Milverton online transcriptions, and James baptism in June states that he was the son of Edward & Jane (OWEN) TATCHELL, who married 12 Apr 1804 by banns - so James' birth may well have been before.
Edward's baptism was 13 Dec 1747, and it's hard to know which Jane OWEN was the mother.
Did you obtain James' death certificate? (I'm assuming his death is the one registered Dec 1841 in Stoke Damerel - it should give his age.)
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline 260ridge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 May 09 20:38 BST (UK) »
Hi DOB

James occupation as [sea] "soldier" was included in son William's marriage certificate of 1847 but not marked "deceased". I always assumed he was alive although he was not a witness.

If I ignore this assumption of mine, Stoke Damerel makes sense, being 'next door' to Stonehouse. It might also explain why I can't find James in any of the censuses.

I will order the certificate from the GRO.

Thank you once again for the guidance, best wishes, Neil

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 02 May 09 22:02 BST (UK) »
To clarify - sorry I had a typo - the death registration is
Dec 1842  TATCHELL  James     Stoke Damerel  vol 9 page 382
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates