Author Topic: Completed- Thanks -1851 census for Holtby le Clay  (Read 1057 times)

Offline Coxon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Completed- Thanks -1851 census for Holtby le Clay
« on: Tuesday 05 May 09 20:42 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I have been looking at the Elsey family of Lincolnshire.  A few days ago rootschatters found my family for me.  They found the Smith, Hanson and Elsey families.  There was only one gap - I couldn't find Robert Elsey (b.1796c & died in 1857) or his wife Ann who also died before the 1861 census.  I took myself to the local library to look at a well known family history site (I don't know if I am allowed to name them!!)  In 1841 the family were in Holby le Clay & while they may have moved in the meantime I couldn't find the family anywhere on the 1851 census.  I looked at the original records and where Holtby le Clay should have been was a gap. 

My question is: Have the records for the 1851 census for Holtby le Clay been lost or have I been looking in the wrong place?

Louise

Offline ricky1

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 census for Holtby le Clay
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 May 09 21:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Louise

1841 has them living in Holton Le Clay, and not Holby Le Clay

was this the family

Robert Elsey 45 publican  born in county
Ann        "      45                     "
and 6 children

ricky
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Harby,Garton,Drury,Duncombe,Booth,Catton,Barker, Kirkby, Wilson. Lincolnshire, <br />Also Murkin's, Jeffery,Pettitt,Carter, from Suffolk/Cambridgeshire boarder<br />Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ricky1

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 May 09 22:03 BST (UK) »

Robert Elsey head mar 55 innkeeper Lincs Colethorpe?
Ann          "   wife mar 50                      "    Ludbro?
Thomas   "    son u/m 26 ostler * brewer " Wyham
Frances   "  dau u/m 20                            "     "
William   "   son u/m 18                             "    "
James     "  son u/m 16 boot & shoemaker "  "
Elizabeth "  dau u/m 12                             "  Ludborough
Ellen Jackson ? serv u/m 19 house serv    "   Aby?

living at Louth, Lincs

H0107/ 2111
folio 556
page 12

transcribed as Elas

ricky
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Harby,Garton,Drury,Duncombe,Booth,Catton,Barker, Kirkby, Wilson. Lincolnshire, <br />Also Murkin's, Jeffery,Pettitt,Carter, from Suffolk/Cambridgeshire boarder<br />Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Coxon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 May 09 08:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you Ricky,

Don't I feel a fool.   :-[I spent ages looking for them in the library.  That is the right family. I think I (everybody else!!) have found all the family on the censuses and the IGI.  I think the next step, some time in the future, is a trip to Lincolnshire Archives to look at Parish Registers and to see if I can go further back.

Thanks once again,
Louise