Author Topic: David E. Richards  (Read 3090 times)

Offline moyer195

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
David E. Richards
« on: Wednesday 06 May 09 02:05 BST (UK) »
Looking for a David E. Richards, born May 12, 1851 and brother, Joseph Richards born 1848/49.  Father's name George Richards and mother's name Margaret or Martha (Jones ?).  Have a bible given to him by his grandfather in Talywain dated June 11, 185h (1855 ?).  Think they were both born around the Talywain, Pontypool area.  David and Joseph immigrated to Pennsylvania, David in about 1862/3, age 11/12 and Joseph later in 1865, age 22/23.  Not sure if parents immigrated or not.  David is my GGGrandfather and looking for family records and names.  Last link in this line.    :'(
Richards
Gibbon
Thomas
Jones

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: David E. Richards
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 May 09 09:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Moyer195

Is this the David E RICHARDS in Lehigh, Pennsylvania in 1900?
Age 49, born May 1851 Wales to Welsh parents. Married 20 yrs to Deb(e)orah?, immigrated 1865, in US for 35 yrs?

In 1880, David RICHARDS in Sugar Loaf, Luzerne, Pennslyvalnia, in 1880?
Age 29. Coal Miner, b Wales of Welsh parents, wife Deborah age 20 and dau Margaret age 1?

Do you have the name of the Grandfather, or any other clues in the bible which may identify the family on 1841-1861 Census. Also, do you know what the "E" stood for in David's name?

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline pritch19

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 May 09 15:16 BST (UK) »
There is this family in the 1851 Census:

Garndiffaith, Trevethin
HO107 / 2449  Fol 465  Page 1

George RICHARDS   H  M  26  Coal Miner   Glamorgan  NK
Mary Richards         W  M  23                      FLintshire  NK
Joseph Richards     Son      2                       Mon, Trevethin
Rachel Richards      Sist     14                      Mon, Trevethin
Mary Richards         Sist     12                      Mon, Trevethin
Census Information Is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pritch19

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 May 09 15:31 BST (UK) »
Moyer195

I think I have a copy of the birth certificate of Joseph Richards.  I purchased it in error believing it to be the certificate of my gg grandfather who was also named Joseph Richards.

On the certificate the name of the father is George Richards and the mother Margaret Richards formerly Edwards.  Date of birth 18 Sept 1848, Garndiffaith, Trevethin.  PM me with an email address and I will send you a copy.

pritch

Offline RCB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 May 09 15:42 BST (UK) »
No David E registered, but there is a marriage between George Richards and Margaret Jones, July-September 1847 Pontypool, and there is a Joseph Richards birth registered 1848 Pontypool
and several Davids, the one in 1851 looks most likely.
FreeBMD

Unless someone can access church records to see if they were married, baptised locally as I imagine they would be, then the only way to confirm everything is by buying certificates.

And they don't seem to show in the 1861 census, I'm wondering if they were on their way to the US.  cheers fred

That latest post will account for the Richards in the Pontypool area, I wonder if George remarried?

Offline RCB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 May 09 15:48 BST (UK) »
So there are 2 close marriages, we need to link one or the other to the kids (what intellect this guy has LOL)  via Joseph is probably best route as there are several Davids.

Offline pritch19

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 May 09 16:20 BST (UK) »
From online Trevethin parish records here is one marriage:

Trevethin Parish Church

29 Jan 1848  George Richards 22  Bach  Otp  Collier  Father  David Richards  Collier

Margaret Edwards  20  Spin  Otp  Father  Joseph Edwards  Collier

Witnesses:   Joseph Wayman,  Thomas Thomas     Banns

Offline moyer195

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 May 09 00:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your replies!  Little is known of the Richards prior to immigration to Luzerne, County, Pennsylvania in 65', other then pontypool and fathers name George and mothers name Margaret also known as Martha.  I have no knowledge of Grandfathers name other then the gift statement in the bible from him, written in Talywain in 1855, in English not welsh.  With regards to the E. in David's name, we have no idea what it stands for, but could be Edward or Edwards.  That might fit in but I do know that there are "Jones" in the family, therefore a second marriage is possible and she may have died in birth or shortly after.  I do know that some of the Jones family ended up somewhere around Hawkes Bay, Frasetown, NZ, but when I don't know.
I have pictures of David and Debra if anyone collects such things.  Also pictures of Debra's parents, Benjamin and Mary Gibbon.  If the birth certificate fits, yes please.  If anyone would like to contact me through my email address, you are quite welcome to do so.  (*) Thank you for your help, as it is much appreciated.  Regards from downunder!

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Richards
Gibbon
Thomas
Jones