Author Topic: epworth cemetery  (Read 3373 times)

Offline dentony1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
epworth cemetery
« on: Thursday 07 May 09 07:55 BST (UK) »
Have a burial in the Epworth Parish Register for "Duglas wife of Samuel Varley" on August 16, 1750.
Her name is actually Douglasia (variations on the spelling) and was wondering (hoping) if the cemetery still exists and if anyone nears to it and could see if there is a gravestone for Douglasia Varley & her husband who was buried 3 days later.

Trying to figure out what her maiden name was & how old she was.  I'm thinking a gravestone, if it did exist, may not show an age.  did they put that sort of info on them in the 1700s?

any help greatly appreciated.

Regards
Debra

Offline ke29

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: epworth cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 18:59 BST (UK) »
Im happy to look for you if someone else hasnt already!

Offline dentony1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 August 09 06:29 BST (UK) »
That would be wonderful.   I've since read the films for the Parish records and trying to figure out if her maiden name was Scot/Scott or Whitaker/Whitacres.

I found very few Scot/Scott names in the register but there were a lot of Whitaker/Whitacres and there is a film entry at Family Search for a DOUGLASIA WHITACRES christened 1696 at Epworth and it may be her's.  However just to confuse matters - Douglasia & her husband had a son named Scotson & a grandchild with the middle christian name Scott which suggests her name may have been Scott after all.

What I did find in the parish records was that every Varley mentioned was one of ours, so anyone you find in the cemetery will be ours too.  I'd be hopeful of headstones but it's been a long time.

Thank you so much for your offer, it is gratefully accepted.
kind regards
Debra

Offline ke29

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 August 09 19:28 BST (UK) »
I will have a look and let you know, not confident that the graves go back as far as that in Epworth, i've just been looking for the parish publications and noticed for burials it starts in the 1800's. I might have to ask around and see where there may be older cemetries that im not aware of. I'll look anyway, got a few to find for myself as well. May be there somewhere.

Offline dentony1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 August 09 00:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  I have Varley's in Epworth until about 1793.  The chances of headstones are always slim especially after 200 plus years but you never know, do you?  Good luck with your own search.

bye
Debra

Offline ke29

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 August 09 17:47 BST (UK) »
Hi, ive been around the 2 cemeteries in Epworth and no joy im afraid. They are all 1800's other than the Wesley family and no Varleys after that time either.

Offline dentony1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 August 09 06:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for trying.  The further back you go the harder it gets, I suppose.
Good luck with your own research.   :)