Author Topic: Lenaghan  (Read 6927 times)

Offline swedz62

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lenaghan
« on: Thursday 07 May 09 18:18 BST (UK) »
I am searching for any records of a John Lenaghan who came over from Killybegs to Gatehouse of Fleet in Scotland about 1830's to work for the Murrays of Cally House. He married Margaret Neil in Dalbeattie in 1855 and had 5 children before going back to Ireland but returning sometime between 1871 and 1891 with a further 2 children. I would also like to find out anything about 2 of his sons John and Patrick who remained in Ireland when they moved back to Scotland.

Many thanks
Ian L

Offline Rorydotcom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Lenaghan
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 October 10 03:18 BST (UK) »
Not sure if there is any connection but I am researching Lenaghans from Mountcharles.  I have records of a John Lenaghan renting land in 1829 in the townland Dromore and again in 1857.  They are most likely related to me but I haven't been able to put the pieces together between my great great grandfather, James Lenaghan, and John. 

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 October 10 14:03 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=380128.msg3459739;topicseen

There are several Killybegs in Ireland eg south co Donegal coast, {Mountcharles is about 20 miles east} another much smaller district is called Killybegs around a crossroads in Slaght Slatt Sleaght townland, Connor civil parish nr Ballymena Co Antrim. I thought I had also seen such a name in Co Down but sorry my memory doesn’t recall

Leneghan I was surprised to find no homesteads in 1857-65 in Co Donegal useing
www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index  There are plenty in other counties, I did find  a
James  Mclenaghan, in Townland  Eleven Ballyboes  In Parish  Moville, Lr 
Samuel Mcclenaghan  n Townland  Ballylawn  In Parish  Moville, Ur 

I started to look for other variations of the spelling eg in Co Down the spellings include LANAGAN LENAGHAN LANIGAN LENIHAN LENNAGAN LENEHAN LENHAN LINAGHAN LENEGHAN LENNOGHAN etc  what this little exercise showed me, was I was missing any of the mountcharles surname in 1857.  I found 8 in the 1901 census all living in Drumgornan or Drumgorman, which probably includes Mountcharles etc and back in 1857 in Griffiths there is a Hugh Lenahan  in the civil parish of Killymard. His homesteads boundaries will be findable on this Griffiths website under maps, you will need patience to find it, but its worth it. I didn’t try other spellings on Griffiths
That’s all I can offer good luck, Jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Rorydotcom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 October 10 17:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply.  I've noticed the variations of the name, you have a few more than I had.  I am quite familiar with Donegal, my mother is from Mountcharles and I visit often.  The name Lenaghan was changed to Leonard some time in the late 1800s.  My great great grandfather was James Lenaghan from Drumnalost(Listed on the Griffiths as Lenehan).  They are still there in the 1901 census but as Leonard. 
My grandfather was born John Leonard in Munternese.  He is listed in the 1911 census along with his mother and siblings.  My great grandfather had moved to the States for a few years.  They eventually moved to Dromore where my uncle still lives. 

Hugh Lenaghan was the father of John Lenaghan (on the 1911 census)  My grandfather considered him a cousin though I haven't been able to make the direct connection.  Their grandfathers could have been brothers...  John eventually moved into Mountcharles town and then to England. 

There was also a Tim Lenaghan in Dromore who had two children that I know of, Tim and Ann (born in the 1840s).  Ann married and I don't know what happened to Tim. 

The Leonards living in Mountcharles in the 1901 and 1911 census were also Lenaghans at one time.

I have much more specific information if you have any questions about the Lenaghans from Mountcharles... I also have a ton of questions if you or anybody else has more info. 

thanks!

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 October 10 19:44 BST (UK) »
Soorry Rory, that is really interesting.  I have no personal interest in your query. but treat queries as useful to try to answer as it might be me next, who has hit breakwalls in my own family names. There are many like me, so dont stop, push out your queries everywhere now, not next year when it might be to late
lots of luck, Jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline swedz62

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 October 10 18:06 BST (UK) »
Rory

Not sure either as I have not been able to trace my Lenaghan ancestry any further back than 1855 when they arrived in Scotland. I didn't realise the Lenaghan name had changed to Leonard...all of my ancestors seem to have retained the Lenaghan spelling with the exception of my great grand father who changed it to Lenaghen...for religious reasons I am told...the earliest record I have is the marriage certificate of John Lenaghan to Margaret Neil where it lists his name as Linas...is this a name you have come across before? His father is noted as Patrick Linas and mother Mary Coffal.

One of these days I'll get over to Edinburgh to find out if there is any sign of them in the Murray of Cally House records and of where exactly he came from.

Swedz

Offline Rorydotcom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 November 10 00:55 GMT (UK) »
Swedz,

I have not seen the name Linas before.  I am not sure why Lenaghan was changed to Leonard but I have come across others with the same situation who have stated that it was changed to find employment.  Do you know where they originally came from? 

Good luck with your search. 

Rory

Offline swedz62

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rorydotcom

No I don't know exactly where they came from in Ireland...I am just presuming that they came from Killybegs as Murray of Cally in Gatehouse of Fleet owned an estate there and brought over people from Killybegs to establish the town and to work in the mills there.

Still trying to piece together the Irish roots...hopefully find out where they were from next year...

Swedz62

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 10 December 10 13:23 GMT (UK) »
There's a Lynas in the phone book

.. It might be a variant/mistranscription of Lynam .. but I'm not positive

eadaoin
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin