Author Topic: Pauline Butler and the wealthy Wells family  (Read 3438 times)

Offline Timbottawa

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Alice Baldwin Yarborough circa 1920
    • View Profile
Pauline Butler and the wealthy Wells family
« on: Sunday 10 May 09 07:09 BST (UK) »
Henry Thomas Butler and his wife, Emily Maud (née Shaw) emigrated to South Africa with their only child, Henry James Butler (born Castleford, 6/6/1900) around 1910.  Henry James married Evelyn Estelle (née Wells, born about 1903), probably in the mid-1920s, and their only child, Pauline Shirley Butler, was born in late 1927.  It seems that they subsequently divorced, and Henry married a second time, to Elizabeth Katharina (née de Wet).  Henry James died in December 1943, when his residential address was 35 Wadley Road, Durban, and his occupation given as “Manager”.

Although Henry James’ death notice implies that Evelyn might have re-married, giving his first wife’s name as “Evelyn Lowenthal (previously Butler, born Wells)”, subsequent ships’ passenger lists would seem to contradict this.  In several ship’s lists up to 1953, Evelyn Estelle Butler of exactly the right age is recorded, giving professions as “Industrialist” and “Managing Director”. 

Pauline travelled alone from Cape Town to London in 1946, when she was aged 18, giving her occupation as “Student”.  Whether she was intending to attend university in the UK or not is unknown, although it seems likely that she was, as a “P. Butler, female, born 1928, travelled from Southampton to Cape in November 1951, giving her occupation as “Editing Assistant”.  She subsequently married John Arthur Richard Boyd Sievwright (born 1917 in Edinburgh); they divorced in 1960.

After this, the trail goes cold.  I have contacted the few Sievwrights remaining in South African telephone directories – they are all related to each other, but not to J.A.R.B. Sievwright.  A “J.A. Sievwright” travelled from Southampton to Port Natal in July 1946, giving his occupation as a Salesman, so he may have been emigrating alone, hence leaving no relatives in S. Africa.

Does anyone have any links to or knowledge about a wealthy family of cloth manufacturers in Durban named Wells?  Or any information on Pauline?

Many thanks
Tim

Moderator Comment: Detail modified/removed at the request of Tim
Boyle, Butler, Yarborough, Baldwin, Midwood, McHale, Carter, Noble, Kay, Raper, Greenwood, Swift

Offline brionne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Pauline Butler and the wealthy Wells family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 May 09 11:43 BST (UK) »
What an interesting account.

MRS E.E.BUTLER age 26.
                             Miss BUTLER age 2.
                             1929 to Algoa Bay

Brionne.

Dyer,Wilts,Weare Somerset Dorset Wilts.
Weare/Robinson Ottawa Canada.Petty Wilts.
Simper Wilts.West Wilts.West Vermont.Kelsey Surrey.Chappell
Chapel Essex.McPherson,M Pherson MacPherson
Perthshire Scotland,Cork,Dublin,Drogheda Ireland.
Census information Crown Copy right from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Timbottawa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 May 09 15:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks Brionne,  I had noted this entry and was convinced it was them, but for some reason the original image would not load for me, so I could not absolutely confirm that it was them.  But the address in Scarborough, where the rest of the Butlers were living at the time, confirms it.  It seems that Estelle and Pauline travelled from S. Africa to the UK in June 1929, no doubt so all the aunts and uncles could admire the new niece, and then returned to S. Africa in December of the same year.  It is from Pauline's entry as 1-year-old gonig to the UK in June and 2-years old going back to S. Africa in December that I deduced she was born in the second half of 1927.

Cheers
Tim
Boyle, Butler, Yarborough, Baldwin, Midwood, McHale, Carter, Noble, Kay, Raper, Greenwood, Swift

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 May 09 17:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Tim (and Brionne,)
There is possibility that this lady is still living - could you modify your posting perhaps as reference to living persons is not recommended.
Although it seems Butler died in Durban, I have found a reference to Butler (Evelyn) pty ltd as manufacturing childrens clothing in the  Port Elizabeth area in 1955.
Ruth
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Timbottawa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 May 09 23:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruth,
Actually, I was very much hoping that this lady IS still alive!  I was aware that one is not supposed to post detailed information about living people on the thread, like addresses and so forth, but I did not realize that even references to potentially live people are discouraged.  How should I modify the messages accordingly?

I'm obviously intrigued that you say it seems she died in Durban - where does that information come from? I found the reference to he Butler-Sievwright divorce which, I thought, implied that the husband had subsequently died.  Are you looking at this same document?  Did I misinterpret it?

Thanks for tracking down the company name - that is definitely the mother's company.

All the best
Tim

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 May 09 18:53 BST (UK) »
Hi there Tim,
From the archives we find that Sievwright died in 1960 and they were divorced in 1957. Have you applied for his death notice? This would give an indication of where he lived and if there were any children.
Ruth

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 May 09 18:54 BST (UK) »
Ps the divorce was in the Transvaal and he died in Natal

Offline Timbottawa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 May 09 23:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ruth ... I was misreading the information I already have, which just goes to show my unfamiliarity with S. African records!  Yes, of course, I need to apply for the death notice - I'll go back and read your guidance note!

Cheers
Tim

Offline Timbottawa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 June 09 02:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruth,

I have now received copies of the divorce settlement between Pauline and J.A.R.B. Sievwright.  They divorced in March 1957, and at that time they had one child (who may be living, and so who I will refer to as R.G.S), and a second child was expected in August 1957.  Pauline retained custody of the child and the expected second child.

I am now interested in tracing these children.  Any suggestions?  It appears that R.G.S was born between April 1951 and March 1952, but I understand that this information is insufficient to be able to order a birth certificate.  Likewise, although I know the month of birth of the second child, I don't know his/her name!  Any tricks whereby I can get hold of further certificates or other information?

Thanks
Tim