Author Topic: Photo request Aungier st  (Read 2828 times)

Offline wdermot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Photo request Aungier st
« on: Tuesday 12 May 09 17:50 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
I'm not really sure if this is allowed or in the right area if it is, but i recently found out from the 1911 census that some of my great grandparents lived at 38 Aungier st. I haven't been there before so I don't know if the building from the time is still standing, but I was wondering if it is, would someone be good enough to take a photo of it for me. It would be greatly appreciated as I'm not going to be able to get to Dublin for a long long time.

Thanks again for any help with this
cheers
Dermot
walsh , boyle, inglis, finlay, geddes, lawson, mcgeechan, mcgee, gilliland .  69th foot, Scots Guards, Inniskilling Fusiliers , Mesenberg POW.  Co meath, glasgow, donegal; fermoy Co. cork,

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Photo request Aungier st
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 May 09 18:03 BST (UK) »
assuming the numbers stayed the same number 38 is currently a HiFi shop..

Dublin Hi-Fi, 38 Aungier St, Dublin

link to image of some nearby shops : http://www.rootschat.com/links/06a6/

and : http://www.rootschat.com/links/06a7/  (Aungier St. is to the left in this photo))

most of the buildings along the street are of similar design..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline wdermot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 May 09 13:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Shane, I had hoped to get a photo of the actual house, only just to show my grandmother where her family lived before she was born. Thanks for the help but if some kind person happened to stroll down Aungier st with a camera I would be greatly appreciative...

Thanks again
walsh , boyle, inglis, finlay, geddes, lawson, mcgeechan, mcgee, gilliland .  69th foot, Scots Guards, Inniskilling Fusiliers , Mesenberg POW.  Co meath, glasgow, donegal; fermoy Co. cork,

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 May 09 14:14 BST (UK) »
dropped in to Augier St with my newly acquired (hand me down) camera - and had a look for no 38. Unfortunately that entire block has been redeveloped - from the overall design my guess is it was rebuilt in the 1980s.

No. 38 is now a Boulangerie.  I've attached two photos - one of shop (with the canopy and car parked outside) and an other overall view of the numbers 30-40 block.

I'll post a photo of a much older house on Aungier that would have been present in 1911.. and probably the same appearance as the original #38.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 May 09 14:18 BST (UK) »
old building at no. 23 Aungier St

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline deccam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 May 09 20:45 BST (UK) »
Here is an older shot of Aungier St.

Offline wdermot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 May 09 12:45 BST (UK) »
that's absolutely perfect, thanks so so much for taking time to do that i really appreciate it, all the photos are great and are exactly what I was hoping for, thank you again ;D

Offline Hohenloh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 June 09 23:47 BST (UK) »
This is a photo of Aungier St. in the 1950s, when the old houses were still standing.  Assuming the house numbers haven't changed too much, the house you are looking for would be on the far left, or just a little out of the picture.