Author Topic: STEVENSON Heywood  (Read 1375 times)

Offline mike4301

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
STEVENSON Heywood
« on: Sunday 17 May 09 02:58 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am stuck on a branch and was wondering if someone could solve my dilemma.
My ancestors Abraham Yearsley and Sarah Stevenson were married at St Marys Church,I assume around Ancoats, in December 1839
The fathers names on the certificate were George Yearsley,a spinner and John Stevenson,a labourer. Witneses were Hannah Stevenson and someone called Haukner or Faulkner,I can't read his first name
 In the census records for 1861 Sarah later gives her birthplace as Heywood,Lancashire. At the time of her marraige she lived at Every Street.
I looked at the 1841 for Hannah and John Stevenson and only found one set in Rochdale,very close but he was a stone merchant,not a labourer.Other research shows this person,John, ran a business with his father Robert. Can anyone help me with baptism in Heywood she was born approx 1816-17,she was 44 in 1861.
regards Mike :) Ps I can't find George Yearsley either:(
HALL,Lancs,Staffordshire
SHAWCROSS Newton Heath,Gorton, Openshaw
WIGLEY Wirksworh, Lancashire
BRADSHAW Lancashire

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: STEVENSON Heywood
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 May 09 20:23 BST (UK) »
Ps I can't find George Yearsley either

Abraham was born in Salford 1811 so without knowing George's birthplace or birthyear it may be difficult to find info on him.

He appears to have died pre-1841 as I cannot find an 1841/51 entry in Lancashire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 May 09 21:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike,  (Hi Carolew ;D)

Mike, as you appear to have access to the census I would suggest looking at the 1841 for Abram (sic) and Sarah Yearsley.   Reference HO107/577/27 folio 25 page 12.  Take a look at the page on the left hand side and you should near the top a Hannah Stephenson aged 20.  If you go back a page to get the rest of the family it was headed by a John Stephenson, Boatman.   Occupations sometimes changed like the wind!   Also interesting is that next door but one was listed as 22 EVERY street.   

It may be worth following this family through even if it is just to eliminate them.

Regards,
Mo

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline mike4301

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 May 09 07:17 BST (UK) »
Hi and thanks I would say that was them. Would explain why she was born at Heywood he probably worked on the Rochdale Canal. Do you ever have a document that smacks you in the face like that,I have a printed copy as well as seeing that census on line and didn't notice the other Stevensons doh :o
thanks again Mike
ps I did go to the 1851 but cant fit them in yet
HALL,Lancs,Staffordshire
SHAWCROSS Newton Heath,Gorton, Openshaw
WIGLEY Wirksworh, Lancashire
BRADSHAW Lancashire