Author Topic: Hoile/Hoyle families in Stainland/Elland 1750-1780s  (Read 10118 times)

Offline Holmemoss

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Hoile/Hoyle families in Stainland/Elland 1750-1780s
« on: Wednesday 20 May 09 11:27 BST (UK) »
Hoile/Hoyle families in Stainland 1750-1780s

If there any others researching Hoyle families in Stainland, possibly Barkisland and Elland in the 1700s I have given below my pieces of the jigsaw:

Joseph Hoile (b abt 1750) married Ann/Fanny/Nanny Broadbent (bap 11 Nov 1753 at Elland) on 5 Aug 1776 at Elland. I have been unable to find a baptism for Joseph.
They had at least the following children:
John, born at Stainland, baptised at Elland on 13 Apr 1777. Died at Stainland and buried at Elland on 6 Mar 1780.
Joseph, born at Stainland, baptised at Elland on 8 Nov 1778
Probably Jonathan, born ca 1781 (see below)
Ruth, born at Stainland, baptised at Elland on 17 Aug 1783
David, born ?, baptised at Silkstone on 13 Nov 1785
Hannah, baptised at Silkstone on 21 Jun 1789
Possibly Harriot

Joseph Hoile/Hoyle is my 4G Grandfather and he married Mary Youel/Youle at Silkstone on 22 Apr 1805 with the marriage banns being called in the presence of Jonathan Hoyle.
Jonathan gives Stainland as his place of birth in the 1851 census.

Joseph was at Bare Bones, Barnsley in the 1841 and 1851 censuses. His son, Cornelius (my 3G Grandfather) had moved to Shelley before 1841 and my branch of the family stayed there.

There is a grave at Shelley Church for George Hoyle and his family; George died aged 82 on 8 Jul 1921. However, he is not descended from Cornelius and is not obviously part of my family.

I traced George through the censuses and he was born in Shelley, the son of Joshua Hoyle. Joshua was born in Shelley and aged 46 in 1851 so he was born ca 1805.

On the IGI there is the baptism of a Joshua Hoyle at Emley (the next village to Shelley abut 3 miles away) on 24 Feb 1805, the son of Joshua Hoyle and Ann.

The only suitable marriage on the IGI is Joshua Hoyle and Ann Cryer on 16 Oct 1797 at Halifax, so I am back to the Elland area where 'my' Joseph Hoyle born in 1778 originated.

There are a few baptisms on the IGI for Joshua Hoyle including one in Norland in 1756, with 'my' Joseph Hoyle's father, Joseph, being born ca 1750.

Is there anyone else researching the Hoyle families?
All WRY (Holmfirth/Linthwaite/Rastrick /Elland/Kirkburton/Barnsley)- Broadbent, Brook, Cartwright, Charlesworth, Dawson, Earnshaw, Ellis, Flather, Greaves, Hallas, Hirst, Holroyd, Houghland, Hoyle, Kilner, Littlewood, Mallinson, Mitchell, Morton, Scargill, Schofield, Swallow, Taylor, Youle

Offline Marmaduke 123

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Hoile/Hoyle families in Stainland/Elland 1750-1780s
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 May 09 18:21 BST (UK) »
Hello Holmemoss

I'm not researching the Hoyles, but my father's family lines all come from Elland, mainly Stainland, with occasional excursions over the border into Huddersfield.

The Hoyles seem to be one of those West Riding families who are concentrated in large numbers in small areas, and have the very annoying habit of all giving  their children the same names! As I said, I don't have Hoyles but run in to problems of identification with a lot of my lines.

I can see three Joseph Hoyle baptisms in Elland around 1750 - you've probably got these already:

Joseph Hoyle 24/4/1747 abode Barkisland father Joseph
Joseph Hoyle 10/3/1750 abode Barsl'd father John
Joseph Hoyle 13/11/1757 abode Norland father Joshua.

It looks as if the 1747 Joseph died, buried 16/6/1748 (abode Barkisland, s. of Joseph), and also the 1757 one (abode Norland, s. of Joshua, buried 16/8/1773. And for confirmation, there is only one Joseph Hoyle marriage at Elland in the relevant period.

George Redmonds includes Hoyle in his booklet on Halifax surnames. He says it is a prolific surname in West Yorkshire and might have multiple origins, so I don't think you can assume that George Hoyle is in any way related to your family.

If you want to follow the Hoyles further back I would recommend that you get the Elland Parish records on CD from Calderdale FHS - or you might find the abode information on the parish records at Findmypast.

Anne
Halifax/Huddersfield area West Yorkshire
Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire, Berkshire and nearby areas.
Bilcliffe one name study all areas.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 May 09 07:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Holmemoss

Well your got a pre 1837 problem. Well your in the out of census better years as the records that are better in some ways .
This link is WYAS Click search the - click words then enter 'Settlement certificates'. Also see land tax, tithes, hearth tax, and Window tax- poor law etc. Movement and migration passes.

http://www.archives.wyjs.org.uk/catalogue.asp?pg=indexhome.htm

This link is for Linconshire but is the same as Yorkshire as national Law

law.http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LIN/poorsettlement.html

As well as this Hugh wallis web site splites IGI into sub parishs and by entering Surname only one can see the siblings after a marriage. Thus if one of your known sibling year Ie David  and there is another David to another couple but a diffrent year to yours! then that marriage location can be eliminated. Another is if one used a Non conformist chapel and another used Anglican church etc.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers.htm

Dobby

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Holmemoss

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 May 09 09:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the responses and, Anne, you have solved a conundrum.

I was aware of the three baptisms and had thought of discounting the one in 1757 as being too late; as this child died I can definitely discount it now. . However, I had no way of distinguishing between the baptism in 1747 and the one in 1750. As the child Joseph baptised in 1747 died in infancy then it leaves my ancestor as the one baptised in 1750 to John Hoyle.

For some reason a baptism of Joseph Hoyle, father John, on 10 Mar 1750 is on the IGI at Ripponden not Elland.

Is the church at Elland St Mary's?

I have looked for possible marriages of John Hoyle at Elland on the IGI but there are several and I am not one for making leaps of faith.

I know there are numerous Hoyles; I just wondered about the George Hoyle at Shelley as Shelley was a very small village (and still was in the 1950s - now it is more like a samll town) and it seemed to be too much of a coincidence for two different Hoyle families to move from the Elland area to a small village the other side of Huddersfield. I can't prove it so it will just have to remain a possibility.

I should like to get the CDs but unfortunately I lost my job towards the end of last year and getting another one in my late 50s looks unlikely particularly at the moment. So. I used to have the money but not the time and now I have the time but not the money!

Thank you again.
Stuart
All WRY (Holmfirth/Linthwaite/Rastrick /Elland/Kirkburton/Barnsley)- Broadbent, Brook, Cartwright, Charlesworth, Dawson, Earnshaw, Ellis, Flather, Greaves, Hallas, Hirst, Holroyd, Houghland, Hoyle, Kilner, Littlewood, Mallinson, Mitchell, Morton, Scargill, Schofield, Swallow, Taylor, Youle

Offline Marmaduke 123

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 May 09 16:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Holmemoss

You are quite right, I omitted to say the baptism of Joseph was at Ripponden chapelry.

Anne

Offline drewhowson

• RootsChat Member
  • GG Grandfather Frederick Riley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 May 09 16:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Holmemoss,
Have been going through the Ripponden Parish registers and Bishop's transcripts today looking to tie a few Taylor's toghether and i saw a Curate of Ripponden (1790 ish) called Hoyle he was buried in Ripponden st Barts if this is of any use to you.
In Halifax Library there are both Bishops transcripts and parish records microfilms, you need to use both as the records are in such a poor state.
The only real good writing is that of the Reverend John Watson, ( History and antiqities of Halifax) it is beautiful copperplate.
hope you find the corrtect line,
regards,
Andy
Howson, Yorkshire.                       Census Information crown Copyright
Pybus,Halifax Yorkshire.                   from   WWW. National Archives.gov.uk
Riley, Sowerby and Norland Yorkshire.
Gaukroger,Halifax Yorkshire.
Stansfield,Ripponden area Yorkshire

Offline Holmemoss

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 May 09 08:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Andy. I looked at baptisms for Hoyle in Ripponden and they are numerous. I don't live anywhere near Halifax but I am going to have to make a trip there to make any progress.

What intrigues me about this family is the fact they were literate in the late 1700s, which must be rather unusual. They were all weavers so I don't know why they were educated.

If anyone else is researching Hoyles then Joseph Hoyle, baptised 10 Mar 1750, moved from Barkisland to Silkstone around 1785. His daughter, Ruth, was baptised at Elland on 11 Nov 1783 and his next child, David, was baptised at Silkstone on 13 Nov 1785.

His son Joseph Hoyle, baptised at Elland on  8 Nov 1778, married  Mary Youle/Youel at Silkstone on 22 Apr 1805. Joseph signed the register. In the 1806 Thurgoland Militia List there is a Joseph Hoyle, a weaver aged 22 married with one child; he was a volunteer and was living in Hoylandswaine.

His son Cornelius Hoyle, baptised at Silkstone on 7 Jun 1807, married Mary Houghland (of Thurgoland) at Silkstone on 30 May 1826. Cornelius signed the register. The family moved to Shelley some time before the 1841 census. Mary Houghland remains a mystery; no baptism and very few people are apparently researching the Houghland name.

His son Cornelius Hoyle was born at Shelley on 14 Mar 1840 and married Emma Scargill at Kirkheaton on 7 Apr 1860 at which time Cornelius was living at Whitely Upper. He then moved to Heckmondwike before going back to Shelley.

His son John Hoyle was born at Heckmondwike on 7 Jun 1862 and then moved to Shelley with the rest of the family. He then moved to Lockwood and finally to Lepton.

He married twice; firstly to Mary Emma Armitage in 1885. Mary died at the age of 29 and two of their three children died as infants - who says genes don't matter!

John's second marriage was to Ruth Hannah Cartwright in 1895 and they are my great grandparents.

Offline Holmemoss

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Hoile/Hoyle families in Stainland/Elland 1750-1780s - Help please
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 June 09 08:42 BST (UK) »
I have found a marriage of John Hoyle to Elizabeth Chetham at Elland on 3 Mar 1738.
This may be a little early and I have no way of knowing if the couple were from Barkisland. May I please ask if someone could check the parish records for Elland to see if any more information is given.
Thank you.

Offline Marmaduke 123

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 05 June 09 11:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Holmemoss

Sorry, there is no further information about John Hoyle and Elizabeth Cheetham in the marriage record.

There is another John Hoyle marriage in 1757, but that is of course too late for you, and a previous one to Maria Walker in 1731. Her abode is given as Barkisland.

There are some baptisms to a John in the relevant time scale, all at Ripponden:

Betty 18/1/1740 Bars, J'no weaver
Mary 6/10/1745 Bark
Hannah 21/5/1749 Barsl'd
Joseph 10/3/1750 Barsl'd
Martha 24/6/1753 Barkisland
William 12/12/1756 Barkisland

Others after this, but because of the 1757 marriage impossible to distinguish the families.

I don't see a burial for John or Elizabeth, but there is a Betty Hoyle, Barsland buried at Ripponden 23/3/1744, and a Mary, wife of John, Barkisland, buried at the same place 17/11/1765.

Anne