Author Topic: Mann/Lynn  (Read 1251 times)

Offline Pete E

• RootsChat Member
  • Man in his natural environment
    • View Profile
Mann/Lynn
« on: Wednesday 23 February 05 09:53 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for the marriage of Robert Mann/Mary Lynn, I suspect it may have taken place in the 1830's possibly in the Parish of Earsdon. I know Mary was born in Seaton sluice, (Earsdon by North shields in 1811, [IGI]). If someone is able to check this (parish records) for me I would be extremely grateful.
Many Thanks :)
Pete
Northumberland; Mann, Lynn, Waters, Pyle, Murray.   Yorkshire; Ellis, Heckison, Proctor.<br />Lincolnshire; Wilkinson, Dawson.<br />Cumberland; Doran, Murray. Cheshire; Sutton,

Offline Pete E

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Mann/Lynn
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 February 05 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Sometimes I just can't see wood for trees! Just discovered the parish registers link to GenUk, which has taken me straight to Earsdon and the marriage of Robert Mann to Mary Lynn on 3 october 1832. ;D Just need to discover where Robert is from now.
Northumberland; Mann, Lynn, Waters, Pyle, Murray.   Yorkshire; Ellis, Heckison, Proctor.<br />Lincolnshire; Wilkinson, Dawson.<br />Cumberland; Doran, Murray. Cheshire; Sutton,

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 March 05 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Fremund,

Earsdon Parish records.. ( Indexes 1813-1837)

As you spotted, Robert and Mary married 3/Oct/1832.

Baptised 29/Mar/1834.. Mary Susan Mann, parents Robert/Mary.

No other relevant bapts in that time span.

But also no Mann burials 1813-1837, probably indicated that Robert was a fairly recent newcomer to the parish which covered a wide area ( which was sub-divided into
8 "townships"... Seghill. Burradon, Backworth, Holywell, Seaton Delaval, Hartley, Earsdon itself and Newsham and South Blyth.... Seaton Sluice lay within the Hartley "township").

Michael Dixon,
Blyth, Northumberland
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline Pete E

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 March 05 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Michael,

Am I missing something are the parish indexes online or have you kindly looked that info up elsewhere? Many thanks either way for doing so.

This birth is very interesting, I have located the family in the 1841 census where they are living in Stephenson St. North Shields. The household consists of
John {Foster} 60, tailor,                born in county
Robert Mann, 30, Seaman,               "     "     "
Mary Mann, 30, wife,                         "     "     "
James Mann,    11 or 4,                     "     "     "
Hagar Mann,   1,                                "      "     "

So no Susan present.
(I believe Mary's mothers maiden name was Forster so perhaps John Foster is a relative).

In 1851 we still have the family present in Stephenson St. at number 122. The household consists of:
Robert Mann,     HD,   40, Corporation Boatman,     North Shields
Mary Mann,        wife, 39, Boatmans wife,               North shields
Mary {f} Mann, Dau, 15,                                          North shields
Susan {H}? Mann, do, 11, Scholar,                         North shields
Robert Mann,       son, 9,    Scholar,                         North Shields
Elizabeth Mann, Dau,  6,    Scholar,                         North Shields
Jane {L}? Mann,  do,    2,        Dau                         North Shields
Martha {E}? Mann, do,  6mo   do                            North shields

So James is elsewhere but the Mary you found seems to have now made an appearance. However there is also a Susan but no Hagar. I am assuming therefore at this stage that, Mary Susan died in infancy and that her names were then given to two of her subsequent siblings. I know that Mary aged 15 in 51 was called, Mary Forster and I'm wondering if Hagar was Susan Hagar or Vice versa.

What intrigues and is causing me trouble however is Robert's place of birth. In the 1861 census the year before his death the family are still in Shields living in Bedford St. All the family have changed slightly their places of birth, I can live with that
particulary Mary's which, now given as Seaton Sluice, links me back to earsdon parish. But Robert! Help Suffolk, give me break.

Robert Mann, Hd, 50, River Policeman and Grocer,      Suffolk
Mary Mann, wife 49, do wife, Northumberland Seaton Sluice
Elizabeth Mann, dau,16,assistant in grocer shop, do Tynemouth
Martha Mann, dau, 10 scholar,  do do
Catherine Mann, 8, do do.

I am positive all these census entries are the same family. Perhaps Robert has given an accurate place of birth as he now feels secure in shields and was fearful of poor laws prior to 61. Who knows but I think I have some research to do here.
thanks again michael

Pete