Author Topic: UK incoming passenger list, help please  (Read 981 times)

Offline little meg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
UK incoming passenger list, help please
« on: Thursday 28 May 09 09:41 BST (UK) »
Looking for a Joseph Simpson, returning to UK from Australia.
Between 1844 and 1847.  He was born in 1819, Kildwick, Yorkshire, a blacksmith by trade.

Any help appreciated  ;)

Margaret
Simpson-Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Overend-Sutton, Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Whitaker - Cononley/Yorkshire, Pickard - Silsden/Yorkshire, Howarth - Skipton/Yorkshire and Lancashire, Heaton-Yorkshire, Preston-Yorkshire, Myers-Yorkshire & Australia, Wild-Yorkshire & Australia. Storey-Middlesex/Australia

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: UK incoming passenger list, help please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 May 09 17:54 BST (UK) »
Incoming records weren't kept that early on. Do you know where he was in Australia and why?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline little meg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 May 09 23:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Jorose,

it seems that he followed his older brother John to Australia.
John arrived in Australia in 1841 (I have the shipping details), and Joseph arrived in 1844, both to NSW.  I have the shipping for Joseph too and it states to be with brother in Maneroo (Monaro).

Now his brother has moved on to Vic for the birth of his first child in 1846.
And Joseph was back in the UK for his marriage in 1847.

Which is why I have such a small time span to search in.

Joseph did two more trips to Australia, guess he could not make up his mind.
Second trip was with wife and child to Geelong in Vic. They went back home to Yorkshire and had another child.
The last trip, he came out with other brothers and his wife and children followed later,  he stayed this time ;D

I have all the shipping to Australia.  8)

thankyou, what a shame the records weren't kept that early.  :'(

Margaret

Simpson-Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Overend-Sutton, Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Whitaker - Cononley/Yorkshire, Pickard - Silsden/Yorkshire, Howarth - Skipton/Yorkshire and Lancashire, Heaton-Yorkshire, Preston-Yorkshire, Myers-Yorkshire & Australia, Wild-Yorkshire & Australia. Storey-Middlesex/Australia

Offline little meg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 May 09 23:54 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if it is possible to check to see if the ship 'Wanderer' went from Oz to Uk in that timeslot and who the passengers might have been.

You see, a descendent of Josephs has an old ship compass, engraved with 'Wanderer'.  How he came by it no-one is sure, we would like to think it was by honest means  :o

The fact that the two brothers were in Maneroo around the time that Benjamin Boyd had something like 14 stations there, and that he was also the owner of a schooner 'Wanderer', makes me consider this as a possibility.
Boyd seems to have gone bankrupt around the time that the two brothers moved on.

Welcome any ideas and thoughts please.

Margaret