Author Topic: "Divorced" Stamped on Marriage Cert  (Read 6506 times)

Offline Hanan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
"Divorced" Stamped on Marriage Cert
« on: Monday 01 June 09 10:50 BST (UK) »
I have a marriage certificate for Mary Kerr McGrath & Alexander Fredrick Parker.  Who got married in 1904, I am curious as to why it has "Divorced" stamped in the left margin near their listing.

I know they were still together in 1913 as I have Immigration papers for Alexander going to the US and he named her as "next of kin".  (At which point Mary is now in England.)

My question is would the Scottish records office go back to a certificate from 1904 and stamp "divorce" on it if they were to separate sometime after this trip in 1913?   ???

Hanan
CURRIE & KERR Scotland, Bute, Isle of Arran
ROSS or MUNRO Scotland, Inverness
SUTHERLAND & BUDGE, HAMILTON or GORDON Caithness, Halkirk Area 1700 & 1800's; Lanark 1900’s
MCGRATH or MCGRAW, MCINTYRE, MCWHINNEY, FERGUSON, CAMPBELL, FLANAGAN, WAUGH & THOMSON Ireland
MCGRATH or MCGRAW Wigtown early 1800’s; USA, Taft (CA), Jarbridge (NV) early 1900's
WYLLIE & HIGGINS Scotland, Lanarkshire & Ayrshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "Divorced" Stamped on Marriage Cert
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 June 09 11:04 BST (UK) »
Hi

is there any indication of a Register of Corrected entries on the page and can you make out a date?

This is what the SP help pages say:

Corrections to marriage entries may relate to name, residence or identity, bigamy or divorce.

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/help/index.aspx?632

So it looks as if they would go back to the original entry and amend it.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Hanan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 June 09 11:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget,

All I can make out on the cert is "divorce" and what looks like Vol 1 P1...

Hanan
SUTHERLAND & BUDGE, HAMILTON or GORDON Caithness, Halkirk Area 1700 & 1800's; Lanark 1900’s
MCGRATH or MCGRAW, MCINTYRE, MCWHINNEY, FERGUSON, CAMPBELL, FLANAGAN, WAUGH & THOMSON Ireland
MCGRATH or MCGRAW Wigtown early 1800’s; USA, Taft (CA), Jarbridge (NV) early 1900's

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 June 09 11:20 BST (UK) »

It does look as if it was a Correction but if there is no red RCE at the top of the page then the record hasn't been indexed as yet:

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/help/index.aspx?1314

The Vol 1, etc. would refer to the RCE.

It might be worth contacting SP to see if they can find the RCE for you.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 June 09 11:23 BST (UK) »
I should read the whole page  ::)

At the bottom of the last link that I gave , it says:

Customers should be aware that if a marriage certificate is annotated with an RCE, and that RCE is related to a subsequent divorce, the facility does not presently exist to link to that divorce record.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 June 09 11:26 BST (UK) »
A bit about obtaining them:

http://www.nas.gov.uk/guides/divorce.asp

1830/5-1984
Before 1971 divorce cases are found with the other cases that came before the Court of Session. The printed general minute books of the court (CS17/1), and the separate indexes for consistorial cases after 1971 (CS17/3), lead to card indexes and bound indexes to the cases. The case papers are divided into 'extracted' and 'unextracted' processes, and for extracted processes the judge's verdict can be found in the Register of Acts and Decreets (CS45), using the last date for a case in the minute book. Note that if children are involved in a divorce, the case papers are normally transferred to the NAS only when the youngest has attained the age of 16, so you may have to search through the indexes on this basis. Sometimes the letter 'R' is used alongside entries to show that case papers were 'Retained', while in others the eventual year of transmission is shown in round brackets.

Gadget

Offline Hanan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 June 09 14:17 BST (UK) »
Fantastic Gadget!!!

My thinking was that it would be a considerable task too go all the way back to records from 10 years before just to put a stamp on it, thinking of how many divorces there probably was, but I was wrong. 

Good for me though, as I can now (with a bit of luck) find out a bit more about the couple.

Thanks for all your help.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 June 09 14:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Hanan and Gadget

From the link that Gadget gave you for the National Archives, if you use their general search page www.nas.gov.uk/onlineCatalogue/ and enter Alexander's full name including middle name, you will see the references for the divorce in 1907.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 June 09 14:45 BST (UK) »
That's a good one, Monica  :)

I was so concerned with the divorce records that I didn't think of the online catalogue  ::)

So, how would his ex-wife be recorded as a next of kin in 1913 - or is it a different person in 1907?

Gadget