Author Topic: Long shot from NZ! a SAUNDERS - SHEPHERD connection from 1911  (Read 2479 times)

Offline Sue Lancashire

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Long shot from NZ! a SAUNDERS - SHEPHERD connection from 1911
« on: Wednesday 03 June 09 03:42 BST (UK) »
My grandmother Irene Mary Saunders was born in Whippingham Road  Brighton,  6 FEB 1911, to Elizabeth Saunders of Fisherton Anger, Aldebury in Wiltshire. Elizabeth's birth is about 1889    to Frank and Catherine  Saunders .  My grandma was adopted out as a baby,  or infant, by an "aunt and uncle"..... Mr and Mrs Shepherd. No first names are known. The only concrete info that I have is that Mr Shepherd (not sure of spelling) was in the Royal Navy and he (plus wife and child) were stationed in Hong Kong for about 13 years, returning to England around 1936-39.  There are possible links to Mt Victoria Hospital. Gran had a southern england accent and possible links to Weston Super Mare.  There is little else to go on, to gain further information about her adoptive parents. Just hoping that someone in the Wiltshire area may have a few drops in the bucket before I start trying to swim this ocean  of research from NZ. Irene Mary married John Read of Salford, Lancs in 1939. He was stationed at Colchester military base and I think they met in Brighton. Thank you for reading ...any clues, tips or advice  will be gratefully taken on board.

Sue
Baxter, Kellet, Jennings, Marsden, Read, Speakman in Lancashire
Doran in Wexford,
Whalen and Welch in Waterford
Read, Roberts  in Denbighshire
Saunders in  Wiltshire, Sussex
Batchelor,  Whalen in Sussex
Sheppard in Wiltshire, Hampshire
Woodhouse, Tyler in Norfolk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Long shot from NZ! a SAUNDERS - SHEPHERD connection from 1911
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 June 09 15:08 BST (UK) »
Sorry, Sue, I am a bit confused.  I gather you are looking for info about the adoptive family rather than the Saunders family?  I can see Eilzabeth F Saunders on the 1881 and Lizzie Saunders on 1891 censuses, with her parents and siblings - let me know if you want the details.

I don't have access to 1911 to see who she is with - which may give some clues as to the Shepherd family.

Good luck! Judith :)
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 June 09 15:53 BST (UK) »
Hi

She isn't with the Shepherds as far as I can see in the 1911 as there is only Elizabeth Saunders 22 single, boarder, housemaid and her daughter Irene Mary Saunders 2 mths listed. Other people in the house were Charles Henry Wheatley, his wife Agnes, son Walter(9), father James (81)and a relative Ivy Welsh (11)

Looking for Shepherd in Brighton in 1911 shows hundreds! Very difficult to pinpoint with out first names.

If she was adopted did she keep the name of Saunders? Who were the witnesses on the marriage certificate as that might give a clue to the Shepherds?

Jan
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sue Lancashire

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 June 09 05:23 BST (UK) »
 :)
Thank you Jan and Judith for your helpful replies. I will look at marriage witnesses again  for the Shepherd connection.
I know that mother Elizabeth and baby Irene Mary were at Whippingham Road but I did not know who the rest of the household was... thank you, I can now elimate this address for clues.
Just to confirm, I am looking for the adopting parents...I have been able to collect birth parent information. I will order Elizabeth Saunders birth certificate, however, so that I can look for a possible marriage and other children.
As you say a "Shepherd" in Brighton could be a needle in a haystack. I am hoping that a  'Naval employee, 13 years serving in Hong Kong in the 1920's and 30's and having an adopted daughter Irene Mary' may ring someone's bells.

Irene used her birth name of Saunders for her marriage. She probably had to... adoptions were not  formal and official until the 1920's. Marriages required a birth certificate, I think.

Thanks again, I really appreciate your time and thinking,  SUE.
Thank you both once again
Baxter, Kellet, Jennings, Marsden, Read, Speakman in Lancashire
Doran in Wexford,
Whalen and Welch in Waterford
Read, Roberts  in Denbighshire
Saunders in  Wiltshire, Sussex
Batchelor,  Whalen in Sussex
Sheppard in Wiltshire, Hampshire
Woodhouse, Tyler in Norfolk

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stannarp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 19:03 BST (UK) »
Sue,

I know you're not specifically looking for Saunders information, but I may have a link with your Saunders family - was the Frank Saunders you mention possibly Frank Saunders b 1857,  Boscombe; parents:  Robert Saunders & Sarah Webb?

If so, and you are interested in building links to other people researching this family, please PM me as I've done a fair amount of research in this regard also.

Regards,

Patricia Stannard
Current Research:
RYAN (Waterford, Ireland), BENNETT (Queenstown, South Africa), SELLER (Australia)

Top Surnames:

PHILLIPS (Stithians, Cornwall)
STANNARD (Long Stratton, Norfolk)
CAVE (Milbourne Port, Somerset)
SELLER (Staffordshire)
ROSE (Somerset)
SAUNDERS (Idmiston, Wiltshire)
SADLER (Somerset)
MERCER (Donhead St Andrew, Wiltshire)
VINCENT (Wiltshire)
SPARGO (Stithians, Cornwall)

https://stannardroseza.blogspot.com/