Author Topic: Joseph SMITH 1841/1851 census lookup Broadholem, South Carlton or Brampton  (Read 1286 times)

Offline adamhalifax

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Joseph SMITH 1841/1851 census lookup Broadholem, South Carlton or Brampton
« on: Thursday 24 February 05 11:27 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find records of Joseph SMITH born in the village of South Carlton in 1827.

The last record (which someone from this site very kindly found for me) was in 1861 where he was living in Brampton with his wife Jane and children.

As the eldest child I have recorded was born in 1852. It's possible Joseph was unmarried in 1851, and hopefully in 1841 was still living with his parents.

In 1861 the family goes:
Brampton Grange in 1861 - 2411/39

Joseph 38 Farm Bailiff b South Carlton
Jane 38 b Wigsley, Notts
Abram 10 b Broadholme
Sarah 5 b Brampton
William 3 b Brampton
Lucy 1 b Brampton

The youngest child, Abraham may or may not have been born by 1851. Abraham was born in Broadholme, so Joseph may have been there in 1851. The family would like this is 1851 if Joseph was married:

Joseph SMITH, head, age 28, born South Carlton
Jane SMITH, wife, age 28, born Wigsley
Abraham SMITH, son, age >1, Broadholme/Brampton

It may be though that Joseph was still living with his parents (whom I don't know the names of).

In 1841 Joseph may still be in South Carlton age of 18, possibly with his parents, likely working as an Agricultural Labourer.

If anyone can help me with this I would be very grateful.

Thanks,
Adam

Smith (Lincs), Crossley, Wadsworth, Jowett, Wilson (Finningley), Kershaw (Manchester), Swainson, Robinson, Holmes (Darley), Robertshaw, Thorp, Elliott, Daveney (Norfolk), Crabtree, Exley (Clayton West).

Offline Heather D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph SMITH 1841/1851 census lookup Broadholem, South Carlton or Brampton
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 March 06 11:11 BST (UK) »
As we've found Joseph in Notts (most likely), I'm going to give you the Smith families in South Carlton. Just in case they come in handy!

HO107 630 17 4
South Carlton, all born in county
William Smith 45 ag lab
Ann 40
William 12
Charlotte 7
Harriott 4
Fanny 2

next door, all born in county
HO107 630 17 5
Elizabeth Smith 55 farmer
John 30 MS
William Lamb 45 MS
Richard Hopson 25 MS
Ann Ledge 13 FS

also at HO107 630 17 3
George Smith age 15 working on farm of Mary Chambers
Nottinghamshire: Willmott, Williams, Oldham, Padgett, Burden, Stokes, Huskinson, Tuckwood, Morley, Barnett
Lincolnshire: Foster, Dennis, Mowbray
Leicestershire: Mowbray,Hudson, Tuckwood
Derbyshire: Starbrook
Somerset: Willmott, Elliott
Cork:Driscoll, Murphy
London Surrey:Driscoll, Cheesman
London Kent:Cheesman
Kent:Cheesman, Davis, West, Hills, Kneller, Bones, Eastup

Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline adamhalifax

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 March 06 08:28 BST (UK) »
Heather you're a gem, thank you for taking the trouble on this one.

I suspect this may be the William I'm looking for, I just need to find a record of Joseph's birth to confirm this - may need a trip to the Lincolnshire Archives to see what I can find - there's no likely candidates listed on the IGI.

Thanks again for your looking these up for me, this is all great information.

Adam
Smith (Lincs), Crossley, Wadsworth, Jowett, Wilson (Finningley), Kershaw (Manchester), Swainson, Robinson, Holmes (Darley), Robertshaw, Thorp, Elliott, Daveney (Norfolk), Crabtree, Exley (Clayton West).

Offline JohninAus

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 March 06 11:02 BST (UK) »
William Smith married Anne Fields, 18/6/1816, South Carlton (source: Lawres deanery marriages)

If Joseph was born c1822/23 based on age in censuses , these are more likely parents than Elizabeth.

William is shown in censuses as b Heighington...and you'll find a likely baptism there in 1792.

If you check IGI baptisms in Thorney, Notts (which includes Thorney , Wigsley and Broadholme) (IGI batch C054011 , which  has only 183 entries), you'll see a Jane Hall, bap 10 Feb 1822,to George Hall and Sarah which is consistent with Jane's age in censuses....and has the Sarah name coincidence.

FreeBMD has 2 Joseph Smith marriages which include Janes on the list, in Newark district (covers Thorney), in the few years before 1851 (Joseph and Jane were in Thorney in the 51 census, no kids)They are possibles.

Also a Jane Hall married in Newark District in the Dec 1851 qtr...and one of the males is missing. Thats a few months after the census though.

After all that , little of which is definitive, you have my sympathies researching Smith!

And after all that I just noticed your post on the Notts board!

John
LINCOLNSHIRE: Sergeant, Dent, Watts, Fussey, Portas, Middleton, Bullivant, Howson, Lingard, Arliss, Laceby, Holtby, Lamb, Host, Stark, Hicks, Cuthbert, West. DEVON: Parkhouse, Brace, Mullins, Luxton,Cook ,Nicholls, Ley
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline adamhalifax

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 March 06 13:17 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

Thank you for your help, especially finding William and Ann(e)s marriage in S. Carlton, I didn't know this.

Looking at William Smith birth in 1792, I've found one in Washingborough, which is only a mile or so up the road from Heighington, so this looks a likely candidate. Just need to find for definite who Joseph's mother was.

It's been a real pain researching the Smith's - especially going so far back; it's all part of the fun though.

Thanks again,
Adam

Offline Geoff E

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 March 06 13:37 BST (UK) »
Heighington was without a church in those days ...
http://groups.msn.com/EnglishChurchPhotographs/lincolnshirechurches.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=148

I've noticed in the early censuses that Heighington was treated as a sub-district of Washingborough.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk