Author Topic: Jane MCDONALD born Ireland  (Read 3096 times)

Offline sealbh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Beag air Beagh
    • View Profile
Jane MCDONALD born Ireland
« on: Monday 08 June 09 11:01 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Jane McDonald born 1811, Ireland appears on the 1841 Scotland census residing in Penninghame, Wigtownshire as a family servant. Haven't found her on the 1851 and not sure if she ever married. If this is the correct Jane McDonald, she was definitely deceased by 1855.

If anyone can assist to find a death or a possible marriage, I would be most grateful.

Many thanks,

Sealbh
Census information Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jane MCDONALD born Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 June 09 13:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Sealbh

Unfortunately it would appear that there are no OPR burial records for Penninghame parish so if she died there before 1855 you may only be able to trace her if there was a headstone.

The Wigtownshire pages are a very useful resource for this area.

http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~leighann/death_records/deaths.html

You should bear in mind that Penninghame and Minnigaff are very close and there was a lot of movement between them so don't forget to search in Kirkcudbrightshire.

Are you sure of her year of birth? The 1841 census generally rounded ages of adults to the nearest 5 years.

Kirsty
Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman

Offline sealbh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Beag air Beagh
    • View Profile
Re: Jane MCDONALD born Ireland
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 June 09 10:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Kirsty,

I gather you read my other post. I have tried all sorts of search options but to no avail so far. Jane and her daughter Ann may have gone to Ireland for a short time which would explain why they seem elusive in 1841. No...I'm not totally sure that Jane was born in 1811 however it's the closest match I have come across. To progress further I may request help from the Dumfries and Galloway FHS and/or the link you provided. I know for sure that the Jane McDonald I am researching, died between the years 1837-1855. This is proving a tricky, albeit interesting, mystery.

Thankyou very much for your help.

All the best,

Sealbh
Census information Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk