Author Topic: LOWTHER family of Orcheston St George  (Read 16234 times)

Offline cbanhidy

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: LOWTHER family of Orcheston St George
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 15 January 11 23:25 GMT (UK) »
At least one family of this line survived in Melbourne. My grandfather's brothers are all dead but I am know my mother's uncle James had 2 sons who were in Melbourne - they must be in their 60's now.

In the 1960's the Lowther family were in Melbourne.

Something must have happened - as my grandfather changed his from Gorges Paulin Lowther to Robert George Lowther, and great uncle Jack was actually B. Brabason P Lowther. I remember visiting him in Box Hill.

My grandmother told me a story of when the direct family died out in Tasmania - a huge shipment of family goods turned up he set fire to the lot - only a dispatch case ( locked ) and a few items minor survived the bonfire : apparently there was also a huge iron bound family bible......... My grandfather's words were such : I want nothing to do with the family.

FYI . I was looking for names for my yet to be born child when came across this thread.

Offline eadygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 17 January 11 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi cbanhidy, whoever you may be!

Thanks so much for your post, I hope Joelle gets it too.  It would be great to chat to you via a PM (personal message) but newbies to rootschat have to post 3 messages before you can do this, so  just drop us a line and I'll reply and again etc. I certainly owe Joelle an email or 2 and it would be wonderful to clear up this big family mystery.  So many people have been so helpful (thank you all!) but it just doesn't move us forward too much in finding out the whys and wherefores of the Lowther folk of Wiltshire's Orcheston St George, Tasmania, Melbourne or Sydney.

As you've probably read, they're not my family, they're my husbands lot, Winifred Julia Lowther being his grandmother.  He's not particularly interested but I'm fascinated and am probably working on too many trees at once.

So sad to hear of the family rift and name changes (why????) and of all those wonderful family things being burnt, in anger by the sound of it. I think it was quite common back in the 60s.  The "old guard" of the family could be quite repressive, my own great-grandmother certainly scared the life out of me as a child in the 60s and I don't think my mother had much love for her either.( I remember being told of her death while in the bath and I just held my nose and sunk under water so no-one noticed that I didn't cry. To me, she was a creepy horrible old lady in a long black dress.)   Antiques were junk - off to charity or burnt -  to be replaced by cool Parker teak tables and sideboards. Family memorabilia was just fuel on the fire.  Some of the Lowther things do survive but we need to chat about that.

I hope you find a baby name.  A very English colleague told me you should choose a name that would be just WONDERFUL when prefaced with "Sir' or "Lady" - something smart for a first name and a sentimental family name  (which could also be a surname from your family) for the second name.   Sage advice which we followed.

Look forward to hearing from you!

All best,
Liz

Dann - Hunts, Cambs, Lancs, Australia and NZ
Menzies - Perthshire, Australia and NZ
Hind - Lincs, Yorks, Australia
Manton - Lincs, London, Chile, Mauritius, Australia
Lowther - Wilts, Australia
Noy - Cornwall, Australia
Edwards & Davies - South Wales
Nowlan & McHale - Carlow and c.Mayo Ireland, and Carisbrook Vic,Australia

Offline BMingsta

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 02 November 11 12:09 GMT (UK) »
My first post after stumbling on this site whilst googling my grandfather Frank Robert Claverhouse Dundee.  My mother  is the daughter of Frank and Veronica Cooper.  Mum was the only child of this relationship however talks of having an older brother and sister from Frank's side however she has had no contact with them (to my knowledge) since Frank's death in 1951 which was about when she left Ulverstone as an 18 year old and moved to Darwin (eventually) and married my father in about 1954.  From this union there were two sons (1 deceased) and three daughters with another 10 in the next generation.  Mum is still with us (78) and has a step sister still in Ulverstone (Pat) who is in her late 80s.  I have an adopted Chinese daughter who is developing an interest in family linkages so will be more than happy to provide extra information.  I have a feeling that Veronica may have been Frank's third wife or he may have been Veronica's third - I must check with mum.

regards

Ian

Offline Steve Mc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 07 January 24 05:35 GMT (UK) »
Frank Robert Calverhouse Dundee was married to May Pauline Dundee by 1916, that had at least two girls. Frank abandoned May & the children as he had taken up with a married woman Myrtle Claire Kate McDonald nee Edwards who he employed as a governess, while her husband was off fighting in the war. McDonald divorced his wife Myrtle Claire Kate McDonald in 1920 after returning from the war.  At this stage I have no knowledge what happened with the relationship between Dundee & McDonald.