Author Topic: Sarah Stuart/Stewart c1815-?  (Read 5128 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Sarah Stuart/Stewart c1815-?
« on: Tuesday 09 June 09 17:22 BST (UK) »
Kind people have helped with some of the following information. If possible, I would like to find the date Sarah died. 

Sarah Fowley (Fowlie?), born c1815, Sligo, Ireland.  Married James Stuart (Stewart?), also from Sligo, Ireland.  At some point they settled in Ontario.  We have information about their children (Sarah, Ann, Louisa/Elizabeth, Dora Emmeline [Emma] and Rebecca).  The girls were born in Brampton, Lambton Mills and I believe York, Ontario.

Sarah can be found in 1871, I believe in Etobicoke.  She is widowed by then and living with her are four of her daughters.
http://www.ogs.on.ca/ogspi/7/o044a201.htm

Her daughters and a 6 year old boy are on their own by 1881.  Rebecca is only about 18 years old, so one would think Sarah would be residing with the family if she could.

I am wondering if Sarah may have died between 1871 and 1881.  As mentioned previously, I do have information about the daughters and the 6 year old, Charles.  I do not know anything about James Stuart.  My grandfather's siblings (born 1890s) were given the middle name of Stuart, so we have always believed the spelling to be Stuart.  Thank you for any assistance.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Stuart/Stewart c1815-?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 June 09 16:55 BST (UK) »
Within the District of Etobicoke in the County of York there is a record of a death for Sarah Stewart, widow of John Stewart, labourer.  Date of death 9 May 1878 at 60 (?) years of age.  Born Ireland.  Cause of death - consumption, 9 months.  Informant was her doctor.  Religon - Church of England.

I chose this record because you thought they appeared there on the 1871 census.  The Christian name of the husband doesn't track with your record.  Do you still think that Sarah was living in the Etobicoke area?

Debbie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 June 09 20:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie:

Thank you very much for your help.  I don't know anything about the family's actual whereabouts prior to 1881.  I do know my ancestor (Dora Emmeline) was born in Lambton Mills, but her sisters were born in other parts of Toronto.

This is what is shown on the index for the 1871 census:
"york.etobicoke_township division 2 page 46"

The "girls" were living in St. John's Ward, Toronto in 1881.

I'm sorry, I don't know anything about Sarah and James.  I have found two or three records with the Stewart spelling, but I believe the actual spelling was Stuart.

Thank you for your interest.

Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 June 09 21:48 BST (UK) »
On the 1871 census in Etobicoke, York West:

Sarah Stewart, 55, born Ireland
Sarah, 19, born Ontario
Louisa, 15, born Ontario
Emma, 12, born Ontario
Rebecca, 9, born Ontario

On the 1861 census for Etobicoke, York County:

James Stuart, 46, born Ireland, cooper, married in 1840
Sarah Stuart, 42, born Ireland, married in 1840
Jane Stuart, 13, born Canada West
Sarah Stuart, 9, born Canada West
Elizabeth Stuart, 7, born Canada West
Dorando Stuart, 5, born Canada West
Infant of J.S., 1, born Canada West
Louisa Stuart, 3, born Canada West

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 June 09 22:04 BST (UK) »
Jacquie:

Ages in 1881:
Emma, 20
Sarah, 30
Rebecca, 18

I wonder if the 1861 Stuarts could be my Stuarts?   :o

Thank you so much!  I've been looking for this family for at least 20 years.  I will have to compare ages and google around for more information after work.  Thank you again!

(There is another James Stuart family in Ontario at the same time.  But, they had boys as well.)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 June 09 16:01 BST (UK) »
Once again, I have information about the daughters and Charles after 1881.

Adding births, in case it might help finding more information about Sarah and James.
Ann: marriage information states she was born c1842, Canada
Sarah (daughter): death information states she was born c1856, Brampton
Elizabeth: marriage information states she was born c1856, Canada.  Witnesses were Emma Stewart (probably her sister) and Sarah Fowlie.  Would Sarah (mum) have used her maiden name?
Dora Emmeline (Emma): born 11-Sept-1861, Lambton Mills
Rebecca: marriage information states she was born c1862, Brampton.  Death information states she was born c1864, Lambton Mills

Dora/Emma's marriage information states James Stuart and Sarah Fowley were born in Sligo, Ireland.

I hope this might help in finding out more about James and Sarah.  Thank you for your help so far.  :)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 June 09 16:48 BST (UK) »
I thought I would add a face to one of the names.  :)
Dora "Emma" Emmeline.
Dora and her husband William Richard Vaus Mumford.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 June 09 08:46 BST (UK) »
Wondering please if there is an image for the 1861 census?  Was "Dorando" a male or female?  Also wondering if the name could be Dora something?

Finally, wondering if there might be a marriage for Jane, please?  (I had never heard of her prior to this thread.)

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 June 09 20:51 BST (UK) »
It's probably more likely the Sarah Fowlie who was a witness to Elizabeth's marriage was a cousin or some other relation.

I've attached part of the image that shows the spelling of Dorando's name. James is the only male in the household.

I couldn't find a marriage for Jane. If she died before 1869 it won't be in the database I have access to.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz