Author Topic: Militia 1798  (Read 1170 times)

Offline jmp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Militia 1798
« on: Thursday 11 June 09 00:32 BST (UK) »
A general question if I may. I have recieved a print out from Ash near Sandwich, Kent of some of my relatives details which have been taken from various parish records I understand. Next to one of them is the note Militia / 1798/ Weddington/ Labourer only a spade ;D. I believe that Weddington is a nearby village

Could someone just give me a bit of basic information. Were the militia set up locally and were men of the parish "reservists" for want of another word for a period of time? Is there anything/ anywhere else that I can look to find out any additional information, such as how long they would be members for and what if any duties did they perform

Thank you very much
Jackie :)
Devon: Hortop, Phillips, Palmer, (Lamerton area)
Derbyshire: Hancock, Widdowson (Sheffield area)
Suffolk:Ratcliff ,Howlett, (Lowestoft area)
Kent:Ratcliff (Ramsgate area)
Norfolk: Stout, Fiske

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Militia 1798
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 June 09 06:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Jackie

Here is a link to researching the Militia - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=26 - and also gives some background

The Militia came under the Lord Lt of the county, rather than the War Office so you should enquire at Kent Record Office as well.

If the Militia were embodied – ie they thought there was a threat of invasion - they served full-time, until they were disembodied. During quiet times they served one or two months a year for training. Training usually took place locally. But if embodied they could serve anywhere in the British Isles. However being on the south coast they were probably needed in Kent.

Local newspapers can be a good source. The should contain adverts for men wanted as substitutes – membership was by ballot at times, but men chosen should send a substitute. They will also contain notices when the Militia were called out for training.

Ken

Offline jmp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 June 09 10:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you Ken, that is really helpful. I wonder what would have happened if he lost his spade ;D ;D ;D
Best wishes
Jackie

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 June 09 10:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Jackie,
1798 was a bad time in England in terms of the threat from France and then Napoleon.   Militia was pretty active--- and in 1807 there was an Act of Parlt. offering a  bonus- 10 GBP- to be  paid to militia men who enlisted in a regiment of the line.

The spade is a bit of a laugh ;D
charlotte

Offline jmp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 June 09 17:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks Charlotte. Yes I like that bit too  ;D

Offline Ingrid B

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 April 24 11:00 BST (UK) »
Hello Jackie,
I've been looking into the same for one of my ancestor's living in Ash.
I came across this item and thought I'd share. it was taken from te book "Ash - An East Kent Village" by David Downes in 2002.
"In October 1797, Citizen-General Bonaparte was appointed to command the French 'Army of England', and, in the spring of 1798, a French invasion was daily expected. A great military encampment was set up on the Downs between Canterbury and Deal, and William Pitt, the prime minister took up residence at Walmer Castle. Out of patriotism - or to avoid the annual miltiary ballot - many joined the Volunteers. In February 297 men of Ash agreed to serve with the Sandwich Volunteers, assembling at the Ship Inn; 4 on horseback (1 with both sword and pike), others on foot with firelocks or pikes, others as labourers with axes, pickaxeses or spades, or as servants with cattle or teams of horses. With 74 men from Woodnesborough, 42 from Staple and 24 from Elmstone they pledged themselves to 'unite as one man in offering our assistance either to oppose, repel and Destroy the Enemy or to Guard and Protect the women, children, aged and infirm...in such a manner as may render to our King & Country the most effective service'.
I hope it helps!

Offline jmp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 April 24 19:33 BST (UK) »
Ingrid, that is brilliant, thank you so much. I would never have found that information. My relative with the spade is one I am particularly proud of ;D ;D

Online Vance Mead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 April 24 19:44 BST (UK) »
There's a book from the Bucks Record Society, The Buckinghamshire Posse Comitatus, 1798, which you can download for free. The introduction provides a lot of background information.

https://www.bucksrecsoc.org.uk/VOL.html?ID=23&MOD=this
Mead - Herts, Bucks, Essex
Pontifex - Bucks
Goldhurst - London, Middx, Herts
Kellogg/Kelhog - Essex, Cambs

Offline jmp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 April 24 19:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks Vance I will definitely have a look at that.
Cheers
Jackie :)