Author Topic: 11th Hussars  (Read 4427 times)

Offline rosebarr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
11th Hussars
« on: Thursday 11 June 09 12:15 BST (UK) »
Hi can anyone help with info regarding a family of Mason in the 11th Hussars. in the latter half of the 1800`s.  There was some very helpful info regarding another family posted here a couple of years back. :-\

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 11th Hussars
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 June 09 15:25 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RC. You probably would have had a quicker response if you had posted this in the main armed forces section. This bit is really for you telling us where information can be found.

Here is a link to researching army men in Kew - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/militaryhistory/army/step4.htm

Surviving service records are in WO97. But how they are filed depends upon the date of discharge. A good rule of thumb is that most men were discharged aged 30 to 35 - they usually signed up for 12 years, and only service after the age of 18 counted. If you post a few forenames and an indication of when they were around it will help. Also if you can find them in the census while they were serving, that would also help to confirm if they were with the 11th Hussars at the time.

Ken

Offline rosebarr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 June 09 09:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken, thanks for reply, I had difficulty finding anywhere to ask questions I`m not very good on computers, but the Chat room folk helped!!  I am trying to help an elderly friend do his family tree.  He had info regarding his grandfather who was in 19th Hussars ( in India) that he found very interesting, so wondered about his three great uncles all in the 11th Hussars in the 1911 census.  Just googling came up with previous chats re 11th Hussars.  I am looking for info on Frank Henry Mason b 1878 Dublin Ireland.  William Henry Mason b 1880 Limerick and Frederick Walker Mason b 1888 Maidstone Kent. All sons of William Henry Mason b 1844 Aldershot, in 18th then 19th Hussars.  Any more info re these and other 11th movements or activites I would be grateful to hear of.  He has cenus info.

Offline spof

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 June 09 12:12 BST (UK) »
3473 Sergeant Trumpeter F H Mason was awarded a Long Service and Good Conduct Medal in the 11th Hussars in 1910 and 3967 Bandsman W H Mason got one in 1913. Might be yours?

http://yourarchives.nationalarchives.gov.uk/index.php?title=Long_Service_and_Good_Conduct_(LSGC)_Medal_Register_%E2%80%93_11th_Hussars_1902-1919

They probably served in WW1 so their service records should be on Ancestry if they survive.

There is a WW1 medal card for 5096 Trumpeter (also possibly Corporal) Frederick W Mason. He went to France on 15 Aug 1914 and was discharged 26 Oct 1916. He got the 1914 Star - with the Clasp for being under enemy fire before 22 Nov 1914 - along with the British War and Victory medals.

The W H Mason above also has a medal card for the same number listed as William H Mason. He also went to France on 15 Aug 1914, got the same "trio" of medals but without the Clasp and was discharged 5 April 1916 with a Silver War Badge.

I can't find a medal card for Frank Mason in the 11th Hussars but he may have stayed in the UK training new recruits etc.
Bezant (London/Suffolk), West (London/Essex), Walker (Yorkshire), Phillips (West Country - believed Bristol area), Tibbetts (Warwickshire), Armstrong (Co Fermanagh), Harvison (Co Wexford), Neeb (Germany), Becker (Germany), Jakobsson (Finland). Kanneworff (Germany and Denmark)

Offline rosebarr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 June 09 15:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for help, I`ll follow up leads, also think a trip to Kew may be called for!!  Thanks again

Offline olliebabe

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 June 13 16:25 BST (UK) »
posted on othert topic on my grandad father who was in 11th hussars 1912 until the oppupation of the rhine. he was henry p smith born in around 1896 from narrow on furnace and just learnrd he join in Dublin in inchore barracks love to learn more about his army life