Author Topic: (*Completed with thanks*)Obituary of John JACK 1908 Newtownstewart.  (Read 12716 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
(*Completed with thanks*)Obituary of John JACK 1908 Newtownstewart.
« on: Thursday 11 June 09 12:53 BST (UK) »
According to family information, my gg grandfather John JACK died on 25 Feb 1908 aged 79 years, at Magheracolton, Ardstraw.  Amongst the information there is a reference to an obituary and the town of Newtownstewart.

It would be wonderful to obtain a copy of the obituary.

My gt grandfather Robert Nelson JACK had a falling out with his father, after graduating with a medical degree from  the University of Edinburgh.  He returned to Ireland and refused to work as a missionary so emigrated to Australia.  My understanding is that John JACK 'disowned' his three sons who all emigrated from Ireland.  None of the five daughters married.  I can remembering reading letters written to my grandmother from the youngest daughter, Annie who died in 1956 aged 90.

It would be interesting to see if the sons were mentioned in the obituary. 

Most grateful for any help or directives to the archives of the newspaper for the area.

Cheers
Cando in Australia
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Obituary of John JACK 1908 Newtownstewart
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 June 09 00:25 BST (UK) »
could this be the marriage.

Record Type Civil Marriage
Date of Marriage 11 Jun 1845
Groom Name john JACK
Bride Name mary NELSON
Church Ardstraw Presbyterian Church
Parish Ardstraw
Civil District Strabane
County Tyrone

regards mary.
doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 June 09 00:38 BST (UK) »
Not the obituary for John Jack that you are looking for but this may be of interest if you haven't seen it already:
"Letters of Administration of the personal estate of William Jack late of Magheracolton County Tyrone Farmer a Bachelor deceased who died 18 February 1869 at same place were granted at Londonderry to John Jack of Carnkenny (Ardstraw Bridge) in said County Farmer the Brother of said deceased."
www.proni.gov.uk (Will extracts)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 June 09 13:14 BST (UK) »
Firstly - thank you Mary for your reply.  Yes that is the marriage but I only had the year so the extra information is wonderful. :)  The NELSON and JACK names have been used as 2nd given names in our family in Aus.

And also thank you aghadowey for your reply.  No I haven't the information for Letter of Admin for Wm JACK and yes he was brother of John JACK my gg grandfather.  Wm's date of death is identical to what I have in my records.

I am trying to put 'meat on the bones' of the JACK's in Ardstraw for my 98 year old father who is very interested in his ancestry.  It is surprising what he has remembered since I have decided to 'dig a little deeper' into his mother's ancestry.  I only wish I could remember the contents of Aunt Annie's letters to my grandmother.  I was in my early teens and I don't think I was all that interested :( 

Tonight I was given an very old and rather beautiful photo album with many unnamed photos but there are a couple of the JACK family members taken prior to my ggrandfather's emigration, with the photographer's name and address Londonderry.   I think many of the photos are what is described as ? 'Cartes de Visite' as the names are quite unfamiliar to me and don't occur anywhere on the family history I have to date.  The photos are in excellent condition.

Cheers ....and thank you both.
Cando

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 June 09 13:32 BST (UK) »
Glad that I did post the Will extract as you didn't already have it- if you go to the PRONI site you'll and search for that one you'll see the amount of the estate and date of the grant as well.

Does your old photograph album have names for the pictures? (lucky you if so!)- might be worth posting a query on the Derry/Londonderry board for some help.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 June 09 00:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks aghadowey. 

Found the Will on the PRONI site. Many of the JACK photos are named and at the moment I am assuming the females are my gggrandfather's two sisters whom married in Ireland, emigrated in the 1880's to Queensland , Australia and then to New Zealand.  Only yesterday I found them, husbands and children on the New Zealand BDM website that only came online earlier this year.

Early days in attempting to find more in Ireland and I will explore all the resources on the board before requesting any further help.

Both my paternal grandparent's had a parent who emigrated from Ireland and both from Co Tyrone so I am hoping that as I learn more about resources it will help me find a little more about the DUNNE family from Dromore.  I also received with the photo albums, a summary of the DUNNE family history, albeit it a tad disjointed, written by William Henry DUNNE on "Sunday evening, 29th October 1893 in the Colony of Victoria".  Unfortunately as Wm died shortly after with cause of death senility and paralysis I feel I must check all the 'facts' in the summary.

I am really hoping I can find the obituary of John JACK in 1908 in a local newspaper.

Cheers
Cando

Edit to correct spelling.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Obituary John JACK 1908
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 10:06 BST (UK) »
My gggrandfather John JACK died on 25 Feb 1908 at Maghercolton, Ardstraw.   I have told that his obituary was published in The Tyrone Constitution.  I have attempted to find where archived copies are held but to date with no success.  Could someone point me in the right direction please?

Many thanks.
Cando

Note: merged with previous topic looking for same information

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Obituary John JACK 1908
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 10:12 BST (UK) »
Try contacting Omagh Library-
http://www.ni-libraries.net/libraries/omagh-library/

P.S. the townland is Magheracoltan

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Obituary John JACK 1908
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 30 June 11 10:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the link adhadowey ;D.  I really only want the obituary for 'completeness'.  Information from a distant JACK rellie tells me the obituary made no mention of his sons or grandchildren .  None of his five daughters married.

It was a typo with Magheracolton and I am unable to modify to correct it ;D

Cheers  :)
Cando