Author Topic: Parish register  (Read 1393 times)

Offline Glazer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Parish register
« on: Thursday 24 February 05 21:03 GMT (UK) »
I know that I was baptised at a certain church but not on what date.
So I spoke to the present vicar to find out if I could look at the parish registers (the church is still holding the only copy) and was told that he will not allow anybody to inspect them other than himself, but he would look, with the result 'I cannot find an entry'
I have now heard that 'Bishops transcripts' are made of parish registers. So the question I now have is -how do I go about finding where to locate 'Bishops transcripts' for a certain church?
Collins, Jones, Smith

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Parish register
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 February 05 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Glazer

Bishops Transcripts generally stopped towards the end of the 19c.

Their location would depend upon which church and area/county you are looking at ie. those for East Kent were sent to the head church, Canterbury Cathedral.

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Glazer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 February 05 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Fortunately or unfortunately I'm not that old, so looks as though its a dead end.

Many thanks

Glazer
Collins, Jones, Smith

Offline Nick Carver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 February 05 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Glazer

The parish register actually consists of a book for each of baptisms, banns, marriages and funerals. When a book is full, typical CofE practice is for the book to go to the county records office. In a small church, a register could last 40 or 50 years, so my suggestion is to try and find out (either via the vicar or the FHS) the date of the earliest entry in the register in which you are interested. If it does turn out to be in the county records office, you ought to be able to see it. Some FHS have photocopied parish registers so that researchers can go through the copies, rather than risk damage to the originals.

The incumbent is entitled to charge a fee for inspecting the registers and if my memory serves me correctly, it is rather substantial.
E Yorks - Carver, Steels, Cross, Maltby, Whiting, Moor, Laybourn
W Yorks - Wilkinson, Kershaw, Rawnsley, Shaw
Norfolk - Carver, Dowson
Cheshire - Berry, Cooper
Lincs - Berry
London/Ireland/Scotland/Lincs - Sullivan
Northumberland/Durham - Nicholson, Cuthbert, Turner, Robertson
Berks - May
Beds - Brownell

Offline william james

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 February 05 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi i think you will  find that bishops transcripts are also kept in the church of origin. sorry.
Wj
Rice, Sadler, Cocksedge, Mulley,from Suffolk. Minter, Smith, Holding, Warcus, from London.Courtney, Smith, from Dorset. Pearl, from Suffolk/ Hampshire.

Offline Glazer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 February 05 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Nick
I had already tried the county records office and also the local archives centre both had said they had not got copies.
The local vicar also said he would waive any charge as he found no record and that he will not and has not allowed anybody to view the records except himself

glazer

ps I assume the same attitude would apply to the local bishops transcripts
Collins, Jones, Smith

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 25 February 05 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Post 1858 I believe BT's were no longer taken.  If they survived they are now in the records office that is closest to the Bishops court for that area.  For example Derbsyhire and Staffordshire were in the Diocese of Lichfield and therefore the BT's are found in Lichfield REcords Office.

A vicar doesn't have to let you see the Baptism and Death registers but he cannot refuse you access to the marriage register as that belongs to the crown.  Most vicars will give you access but one or two get so many requests for this they become annoyed.  I have always found a letter with as much detail as possible and a donation to the church wins over most.  You could if you so wished right to the Bishop for the area and ask him if he could have a look on your behalf although I would suspect he will say ask the vicar

Rob
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP