Author Topic: Tippins  (Read 2204 times)

Offline MercianSte

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Tippins
« on: Saturday 13 June 09 18:07 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Can any one help me find a few people, who I think may have emigrated in the 1880's. They were three brothers, who were all born in Herefordshire. I know (through gooling) that one of them went to Canada, but do not know where to start for emigration records for this time. The people I am intrested in are;

William Tippins
Born 1844 at Lyonshall, Herefordshire. On the 1871 census, he is living with his wife Mary Ann (born 1848, Morville, Salop), and his three children, William George F (born 1873 - Birmingham, Warwick), Mary Ann (1875 - Stoke on Trent, Stafford), and Frank Henry (born 1879 - Stoke-on-Trent). Thanks to google, I have found an obituary for Mary Ann from a paper in Ontario, Canada.

Mark Henry Tippins
Born 1855 at Kimbolton, Herefordshire. On the 1871 census, he is living with his brother William. There is a marriage for him on the GRO, which happened in 1885 at Stoke-on-Trent. Then there is no trace of him. I have found a tree on the net that says he went to Victoria, Australia - but I would like to check this before I add it to me tree.

Luke Ricketts Tippins
Born in 1859 at Kimbolton. He is on the 1881 census, at Westerham, Kent. I have found no trace of him after the census. No idea where he could have moved to, if he left the country at all.

Any help finding information on these would be very much appreciated. I have no idea where to look for information about these three.

Thanks,
Tippin

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tippins
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 June 09 15:01 BST (UK) »
Canadian censuses 1901/1911:
http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/
William G. F. Tippins and Frank H. Tippins (children of William?) are lodging in Ottawa. Year of immigration is given as 1882.

Elsewhere in Ottawa is William Tippins (b. 1844), with a Canadian wife (Georgina), and daughter Mary Ann (indexed as "Mayam"). By 1911 William and Mary Ann are together - no sign of the wife Georgina.

Luke, I think, stayed in England. He appears to have married in 1882 to Rose Anne Ellingham, and there is a rather dramatic entry about them on the Times!

The Times, Thursday, Apr 19, 1883; pg. 10; Issue 30798; col C
Albert Edward Sanders, station clerk, was charged at Lewes (South-eastern circuit assizes), with shooting at Luke Ricketts Tippins, with intent to murder him, at Westerham in Kent, on the 17th November 1882.

Albert had been engaged to "Miss Ellingham", but the engagement was broken off about May, 1882, and he had started to behave in a threatening way towards him. Early in November Luke and Rose then married. On the 17th, upon returning home, they saw a man (Albert) lurking in the shadow of their cottage, who ran back-- as Luke followed, he turned and fired two shots. Luke pulled out a pistol and shot at Albert, Albert shot at him a third time, which hit him on the left side, over the heart, and could have been fatal, except that it hit his watch and the buckle of his brace. A fourth shot hit him on the upper right arm.

Luke then shot at Albert again, wounding him, and returned to his wife-- a fifth shot was then fired at the two of them. Luke was for some time seriously ill and Albert was found in London two weeks later, suffering from a severe pistol wound in his shoulder.

The defense claimed that Albert had not gone to the house with intent and had only fired in self-defense. He was found guilty (but recommended to mercy as he had been severely wounded and had already spent 5 months in prison). He was sentenced to 10 years.

I think Luke may be this Luke:
http://www.rifleman.org.uk/Tippins-Luke_and_John.htm

In the 1901 census his family seems to be at Mistley in Essex - on http://www.1901censusonline.com/ they are indexed as "Sippins" (Luke N, Rose A, and children John and Rose).

They are also in Mistley in 1911, where Luke is listed as "SULSE RICKETTS TIPPINS"  ::)

Sadly John died in WWI:
http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=92549

I think the daughter Rose may not have married
The Times, Saturday, Mar 05, 1960; pg. 8; Issue 54712; col F
 - mentions the will of Miss Rose Tippins, of Mistley - she left money to the Church of England Children's Society and Whiteland's College, Kings Road, Chelsea.

I think she was a teacher - there's a teacher's registration for her that shows her education:
Board of Education Certificate
University of London Matriculation Certificate
L. L. A. St. Andrews
Certificates in Science and Art

Training in teaching: Whitelands Training College, Chelsea, SW
She was head-mistress at:
Horsley Cross C. E. School, Mistley, Essex (1908-1914)
Widford C. E. School, Chelmsford, Essex (1914-1925)
Wrabness Mixed School, Nr Manningtree, Essex (1925-1931)
Wrabness Junior School, Nr Manningtree, Essex (1931- )
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tazette

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 June 09 15:19 BST (UK) »
Unassisted Immigrant Passenger List for
New South Wales, Australia,
Mark H Tippins, age 30, arrived in Sydney NSW aboard the Parthia on Jan 13 1886.

There is a tree out there with very detailed information on this family, as well. I would suggest you may want to get in touch with the owner? 

Offline MercianSte

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 June 09 20:35 BST (UK) »
WOW - thanks for the information.

Tippin

Offline Tazette

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 June 09 20:37 BST (UK) »
Let me know if you want the contact info on the person who has the tree at Anc. :-)