Author Topic: Gotobed  (Read 30264 times)

Offline seank

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Gotobed
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 23 December 09 02:35 GMT (UK) »
From "A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames - with Special American Instances" by Charles Wareing BARDSLEY (1901):

"GOTOBED
Bapt. 'the son of Godbert.' This surname must unquesionably be referred back to Godebert (Yonge, ii. 177), though after a time the name has itself suggested a 'jeu d'esprit'.
The folowing instances will suffice for evidence:
Roger Godberd, co. Notts, 1273. A.
John Gotebedde, co. Camb., ibid.
Roger Godeberd. J.
Henry Gotebed, temp. 1580. Z.
....A mere nickname would not be found all over the country. It appears certain that Godebert is the root of all."

(NB. I'm writing this sitting in my bed!!)
KISBY, KISBEE, KISBEY - All areas
KISBY, BAINES - Isle of Ely, Lincolnshire, Northants.
FOVARGUE, BLUNT - Isle of Ely
TAYLOR - Lancashire (Rochdale)
Guild of One-name Studies Membership (KISBY/KISBEE) #5000

Offline gazania

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 23 December 09 03:08 GMT (UK) »
My husband's Gotobed ancestors come from Great Raveley & Wood Walton across the border in Huntingdonshire:

Ann Gotobed bp 1796 parents John and Ann.  She married in 1824 John Colbert at Upton cum Gt Raveley.  The family moved to St Neots.  I have not yet made the link to Cambridgeshire but it must be there somewhere.

Regards, Gazania
ALDERMAN, Bucks
BELK, Yorkshire, London
CARLING, Bedfordshire
CUNDITH,CUNDILL, Yorkshire, PALIN. Lincolnshire
FOX, Essex; Camberwell Surrey
LANE, Cork IE;Askeaton LIM, Liverpool, Clifton, Bristol
VOLLER, Surrey
WALL Clonlara Co Clare Ireland
WAREHAM, Esher, Surrey; London
WINCH, Surrey

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 23 December 09 12:53 GMT (UK) »
In the extensive tree that I have on my mother's side, enbracing virtually the entire village of Bottisham/Lode I have recorded so far, one, though I am aware of many others.Elizabeth Gotobed who married Edward Ayres at Great Wilbraham in 1756.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline bitty_matriarch

• RootsChat Member
  • What good is information if not shared with others
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 27 December 09 13:51 GMT (UK) »
I was a Gotobed before I married..A few of our family actually had the name changed by deed poll as it was so disliked, I come from March in Cambridgeshire so not far away...looking back I think it a bit of a shame as it is an unusual name, at the time I was overjoyed as it lead to a lot of bullying etc at school.

Then we were at school together, as that is where I remember the name from.
CAWTHORN, SCOTT & DeSilva PALMER from Cambridgeshire & West Norfolk [and beyond]
http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~cawthorn/genealogy/

Offline Chasm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Lizzie, An intriguing surname. What's the name of the magazine please?
I came across this article purely by accident while doing a google search for "Gotobed" I am going to hazard a rough guess that the lady above lives in Chineham, and the Name of the Magazine is the "Chineham Chat"
 I say this because my name Is Charles Mott-Gotobed and I am thinking that she is referring to my Mother Janet Mott-Gotobed! (Please note that permission to list her here has been given)
I am currently working on our family tree and keep a local ish copy on my web site at http://mott-gotobeds.info/genealogy/index.php which is fairly accurate back to at least William Crabb-Gotobed in Ely, Littleport Cambridge. The line goes back to Tobias Gotobed circa 1600 ish. its a difficult family to research as so many of them had the same name at the same time in the same areas!
Regards, Chas Mott
Gotobed, Mott-Gotobed, Harley, Attrill, Wedgbury, Sills, Mumford, Lucas, Scally, Allison, Blake, Westbrook, Hawke, Goodge, Fuge, Salt, Jarvis, Ellingham, Attrill, Carter, Fenn, Lowbridge, Sills, Gilchrist, Ackland, Bowyer, Oxlade, Lucas, Pelling, Sweet, Leonard, Mandeville, Roennfeldt, Vickers, Matthews, Woolston, Crabb, Nash

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Chas

Welcome to Rootschat.  Yes I was referring to Chineham Chat, but as your mother is living and it is Rootschat policy not to refer to living people, I didn't post the answer on here, but sent the name of the mag in a PM (private message) to Roger.

Lizzie

Offline Chasm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 19:16 GMT (UK) »
ah ok! I will consider myself told off for not following policy! thanks for replying, Incidentally I would be really interested in hearing from other members researching the gotobed name to see if we tie up anywhere!
Gotobed, Mott-Gotobed, Harley, Attrill, Wedgbury, Sills, Mumford, Lucas, Scally, Allison, Blake, Westbrook, Hawke, Goodge, Fuge, Salt, Jarvis, Ellingham, Attrill, Carter, Fenn, Lowbridge, Sills, Gilchrist, Ackland, Bowyer, Oxlade, Lucas, Pelling, Sweet, Leonard, Mandeville, Roennfeldt, Vickers, Matthews, Woolston, Crabb, Nash

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat Chasm...I think you were "informed"...but sometimes the written can sound harsher than meant to be ( and sometimes not enough, hehe) In the case of someone famous or publicly well-known, it seems to be acceptable...also, if the person has been informed and doesn't mind the inclusion of forename, I should think that would make it an acceptable entry...so if your mother has granted permission it would be a different story...but you'd probably have to state that. Oh, dear...I sound like the privacy police...
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Chas, If you want the information and Lizzie is happy about it  I will send you a personal message.
Roger
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)