Author Topic: Evacuated 1944  (Read 2398 times)

Offline cranstone

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Evacuated 1944
« on: Sunday 21 June 09 20:26 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone
My father and his family and friends were evacuated during 1944 and all lived next to each other.  The house they lived in 75 Sullivan (or Sutherland) Road, Longton, Stoke-on-Trent.
Three sisters took the three families in.
Can anyone tell me more please, do the houses still exist, what school was it that they would have gone too, they would have been about 12 years of age.
Look forward to hearing more.
Thank you.

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Evacuated 1944
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 June 09 22:20 BST (UK) »
http://www.thepotteries.org/streets/longton/sutherland_rd/index.htm
If you Google Sutherland road Stoke on trent you'll get lots of hits of old Potbanks,I don't remember many houses up there.

http://www.thepotteries.org/streets/longton/sutherland_rd/index.htm
I wonder if they went to Woodhouse school in Sandford hill, about half a mile away.

http://www.thepotteries.org/

stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline cranstone

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 June 09 22:38 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for your reply, I'll have a look at the site you told me about and I'll see if my dad and his brothers remember the name of the school you mentioned.

Many thanks

Offline cranstone

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 June 09 22:45 BST (UK) »
Helo again

I've had a look at the site you mentioned and will have to show my family and see if they remember any of them, my uncle did mention a police station and a pub.  It's an interesting site.
Thanks again

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 June 09 23:10 BST (UK) »
I'll ask my sister(who's older than me) if she remembers any  evacuees at woodhouse....Or if there were any other schools in Longton area,perhaps Edensor school,that rings a bell..
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 July 09 17:48 BST (UK) »
Cranstone,
               ask your dad if this rings a bell,it's of Adderley green the infant school is on the left up the bank just out of sight.

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 July 09 17:53 BST (UK) »
this picture is just before the other one,you can see the school...Woodhouse is just a couple of hundred yards back down Sandford hill..

Offline cranstone

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 July 09 21:48 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for those, I can't help feeling they had more character in the buildings then.  I won't see my dad for a few weeks now but I will show him when I next see him, thanks for sending them.

Have been sending my uncle everything too.

Many thanks

Kind regards

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 July 09 17:18 BST (UK) »
   Hi Cranstone, does this ring a bell with your Dad?