Author Topic: john gow the missionary man COMPLETED  (Read 8482 times)

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: john gow the missionary man
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 25 June 09 12:08 BST (UK) »
At least 6 children born from the marriage between a John Gow and  Margaret Munro - in Elgin indicated on www.familysearch.org.  Slight problem in that John and Jane do not appear to be twins and one born Apr the other Aug. 

b and ch. records and all 'extracted.  ?? 2 couples with the same name?  Exact IGI references pm'd to you.

Adam, 1848
Jane Gow1841
John, 1841
Alexander, 1839
David, 1837
William, 1830

There is no birth to a Jessie Georgina Gow (or Ross) in the OPRs in the appropriate time frame.

However in Scotland betwen 1835 and 1875 there is only 1 Jessie Georgina Gow born - and not surprisingly she is born in Elgin.  Looks as though you'll have to register with SP.  Her birth entry will give both parents names including mothers maiden name.  Will include fathers occ. and home address.  Will also indicate date and place of marriage.

1872 GOW JESSIE GEORGINA F ELGIN /MORAY 135/00 0050

The following articles are available to purchase for a small fee from Libindex relating to 'your' John Gow. First initials = newspaper.  last numbers = ? page and column or vice versa.

FG  obituary 23/04/1878  3/5 
MWN  death 26/04/1878  2/5 
MWN  obituary 26/04/1878  2/7 

Offline pearldawn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 26 June 09 00:42 BST (UK) »
hi charlotte ,many thanks ,john is buried in the elgin cathdral, but he was invovled with the missionary of the moss st united presbyterian church elgin parish.
hi piglett, thanks also ,the libindx website has been very helpful so have  had  a look in there.  this john remarried to a jessie ross, one of the children was named jessie georgina, have some of others as well but cant find jessie georgina where she went or maybe died early.the children jane and john not twins  just hiccup in typing i think as jane was christened in 1844 so i assume b date type error which can happen...thanks to everyone for helping me here :)
Gow, Bain, Cruickshank/Crookshank of elgin moray

Offline mandy241005

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 26 June 09 04:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I found this website it all about the graves in moray
I found John Gow there buried with his wife jessie and her daughter Mary Walker
with the stone number you supplied

This is Stone Number 0997 from ElginCath

0997 Gow John - - City Missionary. Lead lettering, with many missing. Some data from Cathedral records.

0997 Gow Jessie Ross 19(12) Date partly from Cathedral records

0997 Walker Mary Scott Gow 1912 m/s from Moray Heritage Centre

the group can supply, full transcripts and copies of drawings, as well as photographs where available. (See Costs, below).

Costs

It should be emphasised that the MBGRG is a non-profit making, voluntary organisation and the small charges made are purely to assist defray expenses. If you require digital images/data e_mailed to you, it will be less expensive than preparing paper prints with associated postal and packaging charges. No fixed rates have yet been decided, and you should contact the Group directly, by e_mail (see our Contacts Page) for individual quotations. As a guide however a full MI transcript, together with a digital image of the relevant monument, would be in the region of £5 to £8 Sterling. Please note that the photographic quality of individual tombstones is liable to be variable depending on individual site conditions. Hard copy can also be provided, but please note that for all transcription or photographic orders confirmation of costs should be requested prior to ordering. We would request a Sterling bankers draft for orders originating from out with the UK . 

website below
http://www.mbgrg.org/index.shtml

Regards
Mandy
Cooper----
Hume------
Hayes-----
Scotson---

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 26 June 09 05:20 BST (UK) »
Mandy,
 aren't you a wonderful ferret finding that wensite and possible MIs...
Well done ;D

charlotte

Offline pearldawn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 26 June 09 08:52 BST (UK) »
hi mandy, yes ive just found that website and asked for imfo ,so will see if they can come up with anything as well, thanks :) everyone is so helpful.
thankyou too charlotte :)

Offline Piglet01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 26 June 09 09:39 BST (UK) »
Sadly it seems that Jessie Georgina Gow died in 1878 - same year as her father.

A search done on Scotlands People (SP), 1870 to 1980 only brings up one person of that name dying in all of Scotland.

1878 GOW JESSIE GEORGINA     F 5 ELGIN /MORAY 135/00 0008

To get the full entry which gives parents name and cause of death etc.  Available for download from SP for £1.20

Good luck with your searching.  Regards,   Steve.   :)

Offline Piglet01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 26 June 09 09:41 BST (UK) »
Apologies a double post of the same message.

Offline pearldawn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 26 June 09 23:29 BST (UK) »
wow thanks piglet for that. :) pretty sure that will be our jessie georgina.      the parents Jesssie and johns 2nd marriage children havnt lived to any great age then, all died as children,what a shame.
i may join up with the sp ill go and have a look there see what they charge etc .but thanks so much  :)
isnt it great where one can come on here and post and get replys like this , awesome ,have a good day everyone. :)

Offline pearldawn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 27 June 09 09:20 BST (UK) »
would any one have where i will find my margaret munroe gow,where she is buried please.
her husband was john the missionary man ,Johns first wife..
margaret died 26th june 1864,died at murdochs wynd elgin..what is murdoch wynd, is that a hospital ? munroe is also spelt monroe on some of my papers . ive been i touch with mbgrg site about johns place of death,hoping to get photo of his stone soon. thanks valerie