Author Topic: Fordyce graveyard lookup please - Completed  (Read 5371 times)

Offline ziggie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fordyce graveyard lookup please - Completed
« on: Friday 26 June 09 09:22 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am looking for Joseph Addison, died 1877, and Janet Addison, died 1888.  They lived in Summerton so I assume they would be buried in Fordyce.

Thanking you

Ziggie

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Fordyce graveyard lookup please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 June 09 11:05 BST (UK) »
hi ziggie  :)

can't see anything online

http://www.abdnet.co.uk/mi-index/

but the link may be of some use

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ziggie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 June 09 12:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Ev

I've already tried this site - no luck!!

Ziggie

Offline AlanZed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 June 09 00:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Ziggie

Joseph and Janet Addison are buried in the old churchyard in the centre of the village of Fordyce. 

Their gravestone inscription reads

"In memory of Joseph Addison, Farmer, Summerton, who died there on 20 June 1877 aged 74 years.   Also of his infant daughter Anne, and Alexander C Addison, Student of Divinity and missionary at Wishaw, who died there on 4 May 1876 aged 29 years.  Also of his beloved wife Janet Coull who died 1 February 1888 aged 78 years. "

The immediately neighbouring stone to the north of Joseph and Janet's gravestone is also an Addison stone - which generally indicates some connection between the two families.  It reads:

"Erected by William Addison, Farmer, Auchip, in loving memory of his wife Jane Wright who died 4 March 1915 aged 66 years.  Also of his daughter-in-law Christina Horn died 27 May 1899 aged 20 years.  The said William Addison who died at Auchip on 16 December 1921 aged 74 years.  Also his youngest son Alex. John, tea-planter, Ceylon, who died at Colombo on 5 April 1936 aged 43 years."

My guess would be that William (who married Jane Wright) is a son of Joseph and Janet - but its only a guess.

I have photographs of these gravestones.  If you would like a copy let me know your e-mail address and I'll forward them on to you.

Incidentally, Alex. John (1893-1936), who died in Ceylon, was a friend of my grandfather, (who was brought up on a neigbouring farm to Auchip) and who was also in Ceylon for a period of time around the first world war. I think  I may have a picture of Alex John somewhere if you were interested.

Regards

AlanZed

Offline AlanZed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 June 09 01:03 BST (UK) »
Ziggie

Just spotted that there is also an Addison reference in a grave inscription in the New Cemetery at Fordyce.

"In loving memory of William Hendry, Famrer and Tea-planter,  who died at Cairnton, 27 May 1921 aged 65 years and his wife Hannah Clark who died at Aird House, Portsoy, 5 March 1941 aged 83 years.  Also their son-in-law James Addison, Farmer, Auchip, who died 23 April 1945 aged 57 years, and his wife Charlotte Hendry who died 23 January 1961 aged 69 years."

I have confirmed that this James Addison is another son of William and Jane Wright, mentioned in my previous posting.

From my own family tree I know that William Addison and Jane Wright had another son, William A Addison (bn about 1882).  He married, on 27 Nov 1914 Jessie Ann Fraser (1888-1923).  This Jessie Ann Fraser is part of my own family tree: she is a second cousin of my grandfather (referred to earlier).  She died after only 8 years of marriage, but they had three daughters.... whose details I have. 

I've also just spotted (on my own tree) that I know William Addison (who married Jane Wright) is in fact a son of Joseph and Addison and Janet Coull.  I have a copy of his death certificate (14 Dec 1921) which confirms this.)

I'd be interested to hear your connection to this Addison family.   

Regards

AlanZed

Offline ziggie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 June 09 11:11 BST (UK) »
Hi AlanZed

Thank you very much for the information.  I will send you a PM re my family line - it is rather long and complicated.  Please bear with me.

Bye
Mary  :) :)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 July 09 10:56 BST (UK) »
This prompts me to recall that I was looking for a burial ground book for Portsoy kirkyard, and was eventually told that a minister in the early 20th century had chucked all the old books on a bonfire, some time around 1926 if I recall correctly.

So any records of headstoneless burials in Portsoy no longer exist   >:(
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ziggie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 July 09 11:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Forfarian

Thanks for that bit of information - no wonder I couldn't find burials.  The mentality of some people - vital records lost forever!!

Ziggie

Offline Archivos

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Work is the curse of the drinking classes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 July 09 12:39 BST (UK) »
Records for Portsoy survive from 1927, so I think it sounds about right if they were chucked on a bonfire in 1926.