Author Topic: WATSON - Census look up please  (Read 1063 times)

Offline armybratt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
WATSON - Census look up please
« on: Friday 26 June 09 15:51 BST (UK) »
I am searching for  William and Elizabeth Watson in Hertfordshire, possibly Hertford in census records after 1852 before 1878. Looking for child James born c 1852 in Hertford UK and any other children.
Thanks so much.
Chapman,Watson,Youseman- Ware, Hertfordshire
McDonald, - Pictou & Halifax County -  Nova Scotia, Canada
Higgins, -  Rosscommon, Ireland
Bentham, McCrink, Higgins, Kitchen, Toft, - Stockport, Cheshire
Higgins- Lancashire

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: WATSON - Census look up please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 June 09 16:06 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

Where did you get James details from?

The 1851 census only has one William and Elizabeth Watson in Hertfordshire and Elizabeth was 57 so too old to have had a child in 1852

They did have an unmarried daughter Susannah aged 27 living with them

There is no James Watson b Herts 1852 on the 1861 census wth parents William and Elizabeth but there is one b 1837
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline armybratt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: WATSON - Census look up please
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 July 09 13:59 BST (UK) »
I found (it was given me a person from a message board post on another site) James and his family (Ellen,Harry,James W. and Louisa) in the 1901 British census for Hertfordshire, his birthplace as Hertford which conceivably could also be an abbreviation for the County not the town  - I knew I had the correct family as one of his children was a grandparent. In this census I discovered that his wife Ellen was born Canada and the eldest child born Gibraltar . I went on to obtain a birth certificate for that child which listed her maiden name and her birthplace in Canada.  I then found her marriage to James in Halifax NS in 1878,his parents as William and Elizabeth, again place of birth as Hertford. It is handwritten in old script that also could be Wm or Mrs Elizabeth. It can be viewed at novascotiageneology.com.
Thank you for your help.
Chapman,Watson,Youseman- Ware, Hertfordshire
McDonald, - Pictou & Halifax County -  Nova Scotia, Canada
Higgins, -  Rosscommon, Ireland
Bentham, McCrink, Higgins, Kitchen, Toft, - Stockport, Cheshire
Higgins- Lancashire