Author Topic: GRATTON Jane 1832 Kilkenny  (Read 5731 times)

Offline Captain2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Dear Grandma
    • View Profile
GRATTON Jane 1832 Kilkenny
« on: Saturday 27 June 09 16:55 BST (UK) »
Help needed please! I'm looking for any information relating to  Jane Gratton, born 1832 Kilkenny, Ireland.  She married Jeremiah Searle, I have no idea whether this was in Ireland or England? I cannot find a registration for them in England so hopefully someone may be able to guide me as  to where I should look for an Irish marriage.  The only other information I have for Jane is the 1871 census which lists her mother as Elizabeth Gratton b. 1805 Osp (?) Ireland.  Elizabeth was then living with her daughter and family in Taunton, Somerset.

Any information on the Gratton family, or advice as to how I research them further through Irish records ( new to me) would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks
HARE - Taunton, Somerset  COOKSON - London ANDREWS - PLANE & PARKER -Peckham
HYDE - Berkshire - Australia/CLEMENTS - Berkshire
WOODLEY - Berkshire - Oxfordshire
GARRETT Bradford Abbas, Dorset
SMITH - Islington, Holborn, London
TROAKE - Devon - ADAMS - Devon/Somerset
WINNEY - Berkshire/Oxfordshire
EASTERSON - Kent  BURLINGHAM - Oxfordshire
LYONS & CURTIS - Berkshire

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: GRATTON Jane 1832 Kilkenny
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 June 09 21:27 BST (UK) »
Hi There,

If youcontact Rothe House geneaological centre, parliament street, Kilkenny.  They have a databaser of oveer 1 million records mostly from Church registers both Catholic & protestant from Kilkenny City & County.

Give them as much detail you have about your ancestor Ms. Jane Gratton.  They should be able to help. Also contact Mr. Declan Macauley, Kilkenny Co. Library Johns Quay kilkenny.

He is the local history librarian, who should also be able to help.

Good luckwith your research.

Summerhill

Offline Captain2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Dear Grandma
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 June 09 17:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for the information, I shall contact the sources and hopefully find Jane Gratton.

Many thanks

Offline Patzy_C

• RootsChat Extra
  • Dia dhuit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 September 09 19:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Captain. I too am looking Grattan/Gratton of Kilkenny also Tipperary so naturally I checked the Tauton 1871 census for any possible connection. I did notice Elizabeth & her place of birth but to me the Osp looks like Rep for republic - perhaps I'm wrong?
Take another look and see what you think, I seen lots of mistakes in these census which can cause havoc when attempting to pinpoint a ancestor. Perfect example .. theres another mistake on the same census concerning Jane Gratton she`s born in Kilkenny and the transcribed the census wrote Hilkenny!!!
Let me know how you get on if you think I can help  ;)
Good luck Patzy C
Callaghan/O`Callaghan and Cody/Coady, Nolan/Nowlan, Grace, Mahoney, Armstrong, Grattan, Carter of Fennor & Rathbeg & the parish of Gortnahoe, Co. Tipperary.
Urlingford town & Urlingford parish. Co.Kilkenny. Ireland.

Also Hughes from Galway, Herward/Hereward and (O)Shaughnessy from Dooghta Clonbur, Galway Ireland.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 September 09 20:00 BST (UK) »
Republic of Ireland was only formed in 1920s- until then Ireland was part of the United Kingdom.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Captain2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Dear Grandma
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 September 09 22:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you Patzy C and Aghadowey for your replies.  I haven't gone any further with Jane Gratton at the moment, as I'm not quite sure where to start.  I have looked at some of the Irish family history sites but as I do not know the locations or areas in Ireland I feel a little like a fish out of water. I have no idea what Osp might mean - or if that is a transcription error? Any help is most welcome! Many thanks

Angie

Offline Patzy_C

• RootsChat Extra
  • Dia dhuit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 14:01 BST (UK) »
Hi & thanks for that aghadowey, this never even entered my head :-[ haha!

Hello again Captain2.
In my search I have come across a Grattan/Gratton family in the Griffiths Valuation & 1911 census living in the townlands of MONEYNAMURK & COOLOUTHA, MONEYNAMUCK(STOPFORD) area of Galmoy, County Kilkenny. The nearest town is Johnston which is not far from where my Grattan ancestor lived in Urlingford.
I do remember seeing a another family living in Kilfane County Kilkenny. No doubt there will be others but I havent been able to find them!

I did find a Eliza Gratton in the 1881 St Mary Taunton census who was born in Kilkenny Ireland she was living in a workhouse. Her age conflicts with the details in 1871 census(but this is common)
Its wasnt unusual for the sick & old to be cared for in the workhouse because they couldnt be cared for at home (for whatever reason)
Sorry I cant help much more than this. Good luck
Callaghan/O`Callaghan and Cody/Coady, Nolan/Nowlan, Grace, Mahoney, Armstrong, Grattan, Carter of Fennor & Rathbeg & the parish of Gortnahoe, Co. Tipperary.

Also Hughes from Galway, Herward/Hereward and (O)Shaughnessy from Dooghta Clonbur, Galway Ireland.

Offline Patzy_C

• RootsChat Extra
  • Dia dhuit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 14:57 BST (UK) »
1861 Taunton St James census ...

44. Somerset Place.
Jeremiah Searle (head) aged 44, Chelsea pensioners? born West Monkton
Jane Searle (wife) aged 28, born MAYO Ireland.
George Searle (son) aged 3, born St Owens Hertford
Mary J Searle (daughter) aged 1, born Somerset Taunton.

In both the 1861 & 1871 census Jeremiah it states his occupation/living as pensions or pensioners, maybe if you contact the Chelsea pensioners they may have records which could lead you to more info of his marriage to Jane.

Ive just discovered on google there is a place called Kilkenny & Kilkenny Cross in County Mayo, its east of Castlebar. Worth checking this out  ;)
Let me know how you get on.

Offline Captain2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Dear Grandma
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 September 09 11:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you Patzy for your replies and the census information, very much appreciated.  I have  Elizabeth Grattan on the 1871 census living with Jeremiah & Jane in South Street, Taunton.  I have looked at the  1881 census for Elizabeth, she is not with Jeremiah and Jane and my feeling is she may have died before then, I still need to check this out to be sure.  Thank you for the tip for Kilkenny & Kilkenny Cross I will certainly check the site out also for the advice on Jeremiah Searle, I will look further into this also.  Very many thanks for your time and effort.

Regards  Angie