Author Topic: St Mary's Wilton  (Read 2489 times)

Offline gbugden

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
St Mary's Wilton
« on: Sunday 28 June 09 06:38 BST (UK) »
Hello
I hope to clarify an IGI record about Joseph Bugden who was christened 24 Aug 1765 at the Church of St Mary Wilton-By-Salisbury, Wiltshire.

I believe that this church is not the one built by a wealthy benefactor and known as the church of St Mary and St Nicholas.

Can anyone clarify what this older church was?

Are there parish records for such a church which might indicate the parents of Joesph Bugden?

Any scrap of information is welcome. I am hoping that this  Joseph is the father of my ancestor John Bugden who was born in Farley Wiltshire, 10 Nov 1798.

Cheers
Greg

Offline ChasH

• My email is no longer working sorry
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The fool Monty
    • View Profile
Re: St Mary's Wilton
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 June 09 09:52 BST (UK) »
Greg,

One should never quote an entry from the IGI without qualifying it as being either submitted or extracted.  Submitted entries have no provenance so should be disregarded without documentary evidence from elsewhere.  The source call number of the data given with extracted IGI entries is the film number of the church records from which the data come.

However, although the IGI entry given in Batch No. C073321 for Joseph Bugden son of Tho (Thomas) and Ann has the message that it was extracted, it gives no Source Call No.  which is most unusual so I researched a little further and I now consider an error exists in the LDS library catalogue.

Checking the catalogue for Wilton and choosing the Wiltshire England entry, gives nine choices among which are, "Church records" and "Church records - Indexes".

Choosing the latter gives two, "printouts" which are in fact the files of info. of the IGI entries one may access on-line in the usual manner.  Choosing the second printout gives batches 073321 and 073324.  Those batches of data were extracted from film 1279341 items 1 - 13 of which show Wilton parish registers 1615 - 1960 so I presume that there are no earlier church records.

The batch numbers appearing in the HW site http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/CountyWiltshire.htm#W for Wilton are C073321 - baptisms - and M073324 - marriages.

Extracted entries in the IGI are acceptably reliable extractionwise.

Now you have a real problem :'(

Regards

Chas
My email is no longer working sorry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Bevstn:DAVIES:HIGGS:PERROT
Bisly:BROWN:COOK:CURTIS:DAVIS:FRANKLIN:GARDINER:GRIME:JEFFERIES:PEACEY:STEPHENS:WARREN
ChSod:HARDING:HIGGS
Colrne:GOLDEN
G Bad:DAVIES
Horsly:ADAMS:BAYLY:BIRD:COOK:EVANS:GAZARD:HILL:LEWIS:MATTHEWS:PRIDE:SKIRTON:TEAKLE:TURK:WALKLEY:YOUNG
K'St:BISHOP:PINEGAR
Marsh'd:BLAKE
Minch:HILL:MASON:PERRIN
N.Nib:PERROT:SHATFORD:WAYMAN:WOODWARD
N.Wrax:BLAKE