Author Topic: OLIVER family publication  (Read 5655 times)

Offline Sec of Comms

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
OLIVER family publication
« on: Sunday 28 June 09 20:27 BST (UK) »
I have seen in the National Library a copy of "A History of the Oliver surname on the Scottish Border" by Colonel W H Oliver. This was merely a duplicated booklet not a printed book. Anyone have this or know who has?

Also, the good Colonel quotes a tradition that the Olivers tended to be more dark-haired and skinned than was usual among their neighbours (due to foreign origin?) - has anyone heard of such a notion?

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: OLIVER family publication
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 June 09 15:38 BST (UK) »
Yes the book let you mentioned..I had it ...and as I no longer felt I needed it I donated it to the Borders Family History Society in Roxburghshire,..from Canada.
You might be able to get info from them....
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline Sec of Comms

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 July 09 13:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks - I'll do that.

Offline mandycooky

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 August 09 12:50 BST (UK) »
hi , im oliver from the borders, i didnt know of such book but maybe a library could order it for you . my oliver as far as i can get back is 1861, my descendant moved down from crailng or oxnan to newcastle upon tyne . im on my vacation at minute but would be able to look into more when i get back home .i do know in my tree an eliza married a rev harcus and travelled and settled in australia
oliver,jedburgh, williamson, best , holliday

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 August 09 18:40 BST (UK) »
I have seen in the National Library a copy of "A History of the Oliver surname on the Scottish Border" by Colonel W H Oliver. This was merely a duplicated booklet not a printed book. Anyone have this or know who has?

Also, the good Colonel quotes a tradition that the Olivers tended to be more dark-haired and skinned than was usual among their neighbours (due to foreign origin?) - has anyone heard of such a notion?

Colonel Winston Oliver lived at Blainslie, near Lauder, and also wrote an interesting history of Blainslie which I have borrowed in the past from the Central Public Library in Edinburgh.

Someone else who extensively researched the Oliver name was a Dr. John Oliver from Co. Londonderry who was a civil servant in the Northern Ireland office at Stormont. I used to correspond with him, although I have no Oliver ancestry myself. At the time we were both writing articles for publication in an Ulster family-history journal. Like a lot of Ulster people, he found it hard to trace his "Scotch-Irish" ancestors back to a particular place in Scotland, so he contented himself with researching the Border Olivers generally.

I also know of an American lady who subscribes to one of the genetic genealogy (DNA-testing) forums, who has Oliver ancestry from Co. Londonderry.

Harry