Author Topic: Hannah CAMPBELL  (Read 2666 times)

Offline Leah-WW

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hannah CAMPBELL
« on: Monday 29 June 09 21:38 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I usually confine my research to my Warriner heritage, while my sister tackles our maternal Campbell side, but she has hit a bit of a brick wall so I'm posting on her behalf today :)

We know that Hannah CAMPBELL had an illegitimate son, John CAMPBELL in Legsby, 1819. She also had an illegitimate daughter, Mary CAMPBELL in Legsby in 1827. At the birth of both of her children she is listed as a servant (or 'servant girl' more precisely), and no father is listed. Neither child seems to appear in the bastardy records of the LFHS. After the birth of Mary, our Hannah seems to do a disappearing act!

The IGI shows a Hannah CAMPBELL being baptised in 1797 at Kirton in Lindsey, to a John and Jane CAMPBELL (batch C029643, film 1450445). We couldn't find a marriage which corresponded to this Hannah, but don't know how complete the records are so can't rule her either in or out.

We found a death record on FreeReg for a Hannah CAMPBELL in 1882, aged 85 (making her born 1797) at "Wrawby (Brigg Union)", but ruled her out as follows...

There is a Hannah CAMPBELL on the 1841, 51, 61, 71 & 81 censuses, but she is a CAMPBELL by marriage and a little sleuthing traced her birth as Hannah HORNER in 1798, and her marriage to George CAMPBELL in Winterton, 1830. This Hannah is therefore not our gal, but the Hannah who died in 1882 could be? (but then again, she could be Hannah HORNER as well as the ages are so close, and Hannah HORNER/CAMPBELL was listed as a Pauper on the 1881 census, which would tie in with the 'Brigg Union' comment on the burial record. Unfortunately, records for Glanford Brigg workhouse do not exist for this period!)

If anyone could shed any light on where Hannah CAMPBELL, mother of John & Mary got to after Mary's birth, my sister and I would be grateful :)

Many thanks,
Leah.
WARRINER and variants (Lincolnshire, East Nottinghamshire)
CAMPBELL (Lincolnshire)
EAST (Lincolnshire)
PENDLEBURY (Lancashire, Berkshire)

Offline rover72

• RootsChat Senior
  • Flying the flag for Yellowbellies!
    • View Profile
Re: Hannah CAMPBELL
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 July 09 00:10 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I think this is her marriage in the Westwold Deanery 1813-1837:
Hannah CAMPBELL & John LILL (a widower) 1837. Marriage place is abbreviated as 'WN' but I think this refers to North Willingham.

The reason why I think this is her marriage is that on the 1851 census Hannah's son John is living with his family at Benniworth (HO 107/2107 folio 99), and with them is a Thomas LILL, nurse child, aged 6 months, born in Caistor.

The 1851 census has Hannah LILL (aged 51, born Burnham, Lincs) and her husband John (aged 54, born Little Cawthorpe, Lincs) living in North Willingham (HO 107/2115 folio 63). With them is a grandson Thomas LILL (aged 3, born North Willingham, Lincs).

Hope this helps.

Offline rover72

• RootsChat Senior
  • Flying the flag for Yellowbellies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 July 09 00:18 BST (UK) »
National Burial Index has:
Hannah LILL, buried 31st December 1870 at North Willingham, aged 72 years.

Offline Leah-WW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 July 09 14:06 BST (UK) »
Thank-you Rover. It looks like another trip to Lincoln archives is on the cards to find Hannah's baptism, and her parents' names! :)
CAMPBELL (Lincolnshire)
EAST (Lincolnshire)

Offline DavidStacey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 January 14 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello there,

I am a descendant of John, Hannah's illegitimate son. My line of the family ended up in Lincoln and my grandfather and all his brothers worked at Leys Malleables Forge in North Hykeham. I'd love to be able to share any information you find Leah-WW as I and my 2nd cousin in Australia have hit a dead end insofar as we're at the point you are.

Kind Regards

Dave

Offline Leah-WW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 January 14 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Was your grandfather called Ted, David? :) Or Roy, Harry, Bill?

Hello there,

I am a descendant of John, Hannah's illegitimate son. My line of the family ended up in Lincoln and my grandfather and all his brothers worked at Leys Malleables Forge in North Hykeham. I'd love to be able to share any information you find Leah-WW as I and my 2nd cousin in Australia have hit a dead end insofar as we're at the point you are.

Kind Regards

Dave
CAMPBELL (Lincolnshire)
EAST (Lincolnshire)

Offline DavidStacey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 January 14 21:44 GMT (UK) »
My grandad was Harry  ;D

Offline Leah-WW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 January 14 21:53 GMT (UK) »
My grandad was Ted, your great-uncle :)

My grandad was Harry  ;D
CAMPBELL (Lincolnshire)
EAST (Lincolnshire)

Offline DavidStacey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 January 14 21:56 GMT (UK) »
The cousin I was referring to is Malc (David). Uncle Bill's son