Author Topic: GRIFFITHS, Rassau, Tredegar, Newport  (Read 3482 times)

Offline polly garter

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
GRIFFITHS, Rassau, Tredegar, Newport
« on: Friday 30 April 04 15:53 BST (UK) »
My Great-Grandfather was Albert John Griffiths, born 1875 in Rassau, Brecon.  His father was William Griffiths- a labourer at the time of Albert's birth, but an "ostler" by the time Albert married in 1896, in New Tredegar.  Albert's mother was Mary Davies.
Albert's father died sometime before 1883, and Albert's mother remarried- ? Watkins, a stone mason.
I am hoping that you'll get in touch, if these names are in your own family tree- as I am having very little luck with my Griffiths ancestors.  I know that Albert had brothers Edgar and Fred, but I've been unable to find them on the 1881 census...can anyone help?
Many thanks
Sarah

Offline proactiv

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: GRIFFITHS, Rassau, Tredegar, Newport
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 September 04 15:07 BST (UK) »
Hello Sarah,

Just picking up on your notes ...

Watkins was a well-known name in the Monmouthsire building trade.  My grandfather was a Watkins in Ebbw Vale and a master builder who seems to have built much of the town!  He married Sarah Jane Parker though so most likely a relative of your Watkins.

Just a thought...

David Harris

Offline cwm

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • "Did you say "TWANG" then!?"(Hagar the Horrible)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 November 04 00:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello PG, was there a sister called Sarah , Williams daughter ?Sarah was my g gran whose father Will was an ostler who died before she married a William Hole in 1886.
                    Regards,
                                 Cwm.
Thomas/Jones:-Merioneth. Griffiths/Hole - Lloyd :- Glam.Carmarthen, Kirten/Curtain(variants) :-Som.  Wyld :-Glam/?. Jenkins/Lewis/ :-Glam. Jones :-Monm.

Offline polly garter

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 December 04 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Dear Cwm
Thank you for your reply... I'm afraid that I know so very little about Albert's family, so I could not say for certain whether he had a sister by the name of Sarah.
However, I do know that Albert's father was a  William Griffiths- on Albert's marriage certificate his father's occupation was an Ostler.  I think Albert's mother, Mary Davies-maiden name, married a Mr Watkins, possibly Dec quarter 1883 Bedwelty...does this sound along the right lines, Cwm?
I know Albert had brothers Edgar and Fred, as they are mentioned in Albert's obituary in 1933.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you will prove to be our first positive link with our Griffiths from the past!
I look forward to hearing from you.