Author Topic: Enderlay or Enderley,Peebles  (Read 3226 times)

Offline NormanE

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Enderlay or Enderley,Peebles
« on: Wednesday 01 July 09 20:45 BST (UK) »
I am on the trail of an ancestor who arrived at Southampton from Burma in 1939.  The Destination Address was given as ENDERLAY or ENDERLEY, PEEBLES.
Please can anyone say if the address could refer to a village near Peebles, an area of Peebles or perhaps a house name in Peebles?
Thank You

Norman E

Offline brina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Enderlay or Enderley,Peebles
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 July 09 22:20 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I can tell you that there is a house in Peebles called Ellerslie, do you think it might be this one.   Do you have the actual destination address in handwriting or has it been typed or transcribed.

Otherwise there is a small village called Eddleston five miles from Peebles.

Alternatively there is a farm just outside Peebles called Edderston Farm, could this be it?

If you can give me any more clues I would be happy to help.

Brina.

Offline NormanE

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 July 09 07:04 BST (UK) »
Dear Brina
Thanks for your interest. As it happens I have just received a marriage certificate showing the Peebles Address as Enderley,Edinburgh Road Peebles.
Re you offer of help there are two items relating to Enderley and the marriage where I'm seeking further information.
The first concerns the marriage location given as 39 High Street Peebles. Could this be a church or register office?
The second concerns the owner of Enderley, an Emily Ruth Colquhoun (how do you say this). I know her to be the grooms aunt. The groom Lawrence Humphrey Purton b 1908 may have been raised by Emily.  Emily the widow of a Scottish minister may have lived and raised Lawrence in Peebles. Any local clues would help Brina
Many Thanks
Norman E

Offline brina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 July 09 13:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Norman,

I am glad that you have the exact address from the marriage certificate.

39 High Street is now a solicitor's office called Blackwood and Smith.   It was however the British Linen Bank from 1887 to 1965.   This did not make sense to me until someone mentioned that there is a flat attached to this building so it may be that they were married in the flat.   It would be odd to be married in the Bank (but who knows!!)

Marriage certificates are usually great sources of information giving occupations, mother and fathers name and fathers occupations.   Also witness names which can be useful in tracing someone.

Who did Lawrence marry, if you can give me this information I can ask about here in Peebles.

The name Colquhoun would be pronounced "Kolhoon" if that makes sense to you.   I think that is the best way to describe the pronunciation.

I'll keep looking and get back to you if I find anything else.

Brina

Offline NormanE

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 July 09 16:43 BST (UK) »
Brina
Thanks for your latest and the story moves on.  Lawrence 1908 is my wifes Half Second Cousin. Born in Chilliwack British Columbia his mother died 2 weeks later. How he and his brother Maurice 1904 got back to England is a mystery. Father appears to have wandered,first in Canada and then in Australia where he died in tragic circumstances in 1933. Maurice was brought up by my wifes great aunt in Tyneside where he can be seen in the 1911 census, he died in 1983.
Now the first sight  I have of Lawrence after his birth record is his arrival at Southampton in1939 an Army Officer from Burma.
He married a Geordie lass Hannah Curley from Newburn Northumberland, later known as Anne ( The marriage and part of their life together is described in a book, The Safest Place published in 1982.) from the book the marriage because of the onset of WW2 was a hurried affair and only finalized 30 mins before the ceremony.
So it could have been the Bank or the Flat.
Family folklore says Lawrence was a Barrister. An L H Purton was called to the Bar in 1951.
An intriguing story only started because, although my wife new Maurice 1904, there was always a mystery about his background.
Ever Onward
Norman

Offline brina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 July 09 20:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Norman,

What an interesting story.  I will keep digging around and let you know if anything else crops up.

I did have a look to see if I could find any local ministers called Colquhoun but no luck.   Lawrence's aunt might have just moved to Peebles after her husband's death or retirement.

You never know what might eventually turn up.

Brina