Author Topic: Vessel Indian Queen Passenger List help plse.  (Read 13389 times)

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
Re: Vessel Indian Queen Passenger List help plse.
« Reply #45 on: Monday 12 October 20 11:34 BST (UK) »
Hello.

I have contact details for a pensioner by the name of THURSTON with Auckland and Taihape heritage.
You can PM me with the details you have and I will enquire if there is a match.

Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 12 October 20 19:06 BST (UK) »
Hello teetoe,

I think it might be best if you started a new topic for your Thurston research. It would then appear on the main board for everyone to see.

The Indian Queen topic is actually an old completed one so not as easily noticed.

Just a thought.... :)

Minniehaha.
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 12 October 20 19:40 BST (UK) »
Post deleted. Pressed the wrong button.... ::)
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 15:01 BST (UK) »

For babclive

As in my earlier message for Tiffaney, I have a list of promissory notes for the "Indian Queen" voyage (ex Archives NZ).

John GLOVER is listed as owing payment for his own fare and for those of FOUR other family members.    There was also another entry for a further single fare owed by John GLOVER - this was listed on a sheet entitled "miscellaneous entries":

There was only one person named WALKER on the voyage - namely Thomas WALKER.

Lu

Hello again teetoe

I'm guessing that you have probably read through this thread in its entirety, but just for the sake of clarity (and in case others in future wish to know),  the "list of passengers" for the "Indian Queen" voyage to NZ which arrived in early 1857, has been derived from a book held by Archives New Zealand recording promissory notes for the immigrants - these notes having been signed at Liverpool before commencement of the journey.   
I transcribed that Archives NZ record back in 2009  and also viewed and added some other (rather skimpy) notes for the immigrants which I'd located at Wellington Library. 
I didn't get around to publishing these findings - however some two years later, another transcribed list made its way to the familytreecircles web page - and this is essentially the same as I had recorded.
To the best of my knowledge, an "actual passenger list" for this voyage has never been found, and so it is, that we cannot say with certainty who accompanied the persons for whom we already have information.

But by combining the promissory notes data, newspaper accounts, obituaries, etc. etc.  we can work backwards and "dig up further" clues.  ;)

I have further information which I'll post shortly.

~   Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 15:55 BST (UK) »
Hi again

I see there are a good number ( 30 + ) of "family trees" for John GLOVER / Rebecca COX, published on the ancestry.com website.  ;D      I don't wish to be disparaging of people's efforts, but for the most part, it seems that much of the information contained in these trees is repetitious - and where there "is guesswork" rather than "facts", the "information" multiplies to create an impression that "it must be true".   ::) ;D   

But enough of that.   :)

Let's start with the "mysterious Amy" born circa 1850.    Having looked at the actual 1851 census form, it seemed clear to me that the enumerator had made an alteration to the name of the infant daughter of Rebecca and John.  Sure it could be construed as "A m y" ... but it could also be
"A n n y"  or "A m m y".     Couldn't find a birth for an Amy GLOVER, nor a death record in UK or NZ.

What I did find though was a record of what appears to be their firstborn, a daughter named "Emma" who was baptised on 1 September 1850, at the parish church in Wilmslow, Cheshire (-  and isn't that where the couple were married ? ).
My take is that "Anny" or "Ammy" is in fact Emma ( - maybe she was known as "Emmy" ??).
Edited to add ... familysearch  has this daughter listed (1851) as "A m o s ".   ;D

Will try and attach link to baptism record.     Link Added
Edit:   Link no longer working -  removed by me.

[Sometimes these links "time out" - if that happens you'll need to access it through the familysearch website. ]

Added:   Sorry I've had to remove the links (they do 'time-out' ).   You may already have access to familysearch but if not, then it is a simple process to sign up with them for a free account.   
familysearch.org   :

~   Lu     
                                                                continues next post   ->

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 16:40 BST (UK) »
GLOVER  family - cont'd.

Should have mentioned in last post that the GLOVERs were at the time of the 1851 census (taken in  mid-June), now residing in the Parish of Heaton Norris, Lancashire (which borders Cheshire).

The next useful record comes from Manchester Births and Baptisms :

Parish of Heaton Norris - three daughters of John and Rebecca GLOVER are baptised on 13 August 1854.

Ada GLOVER and Rebecca GLOVER may well have been twins ?     Free BMD has separate birth  entries for girls of those names - registered at Stockport in 1854.

The third entry in the baptism record is for none other than Ann GLOVER - but it comes with a note to say she was "born 7 March 1850".   ???     Clearly 1850 is the wrong year (- it was the birth year of daughter Emma.    And surely an infant Ann GLOVER would have shown up in that 1851 census ?)   [  Note:  I have seen several instances over the years where later children have been incorrectly given the birth dates of their deceased siblings - so mistakes did happen.]

You have the burial details for your Ann RITCHIE - (and if the informant to her death was accurate, then her birth seems to have been circa 1852 ? )

~  Lu
                                                                        more to follow    ->

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 17:00 BST (UK) »
GLOVER  family - cont'd.

I've used a number of resources for obtaining records, but helpfully an image of the triple baptism of the GLOVER daughters is available for viewing at familysearch.org :

Edited to remove a link which wasn't working.    Please go directly to the familysearch.org site, to access this.

I note that father John is recorded as a "waggoner" at this time and was residing at "# 18 York Street".

Sadly that address helped to confirm that a death record I'd found for an Emma GLOVER in 1854,  was for John and Rebecca's firstborn.

Burial :   
Emma GLOVER  - died 6 April 1854 - aged 4 years - of # 18 York Street :

[Parents names not recorded.    Source:  Greater Manchester Burials :  ]

~  Lu                                                                                  continues next  ->

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 17:09 BST (UK) »
GLOVER  family - cont'd.

Baptism :      Heaton Norris Parish - Lancashire

Elizabeth Ann GLOVER - d/o John (occupation:  carter) and Rebecca GLOVER of Heaton Lane
Baptised 11 May  1856 :
[Source:   Manchester ENG. Baptisms @ ancestry ]

Edited to add - image of this baptism is also available at familysearch.org

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 17:17 BST (UK) »
GLOVER family - cont'd :

It would seem then that the children who accompanied John and Rebecca on the "Indian Queen" voyage were likely -

Ann   /   Rebecca   /  Ada *   /  and Elizabeth Ann :

*  Have found no further information for Ada GLOVER.    It is though very possible that she was one of the 20 children aboard the vessel, who died as a result of contracting  measles.   :(

~  Lu