Author Topic: Worth searching for descendants?  (Read 980 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Worth searching for descendants?
« on: Friday 10 July 09 21:44 BST (UK) »
This is a general question about researching in America; I hope this is the correct forum to use.

My Wakefield ancestors were born in Ireland.  My ancestor and her parents and siblings lived in New Jersey from 1839 to c1852.  My ancestor settled in Ontario, Canada c1852; I know about my Ontario branch.  I have also found census records while they were in New Jersey, and I found the ship on which my ancestors originally sailed.

I would like to try to find out more about the family while they were still in Ireland.  I have exhausted all leads regarding the Canadian Wakefield descendants.

A........y has a copy of a book which includes my Wakefield branch.  My ancestor's siblings are also mentioned.  Some of the siblings remained in New Jersey.

My question:
  How successful have RootsChat members been in contacting distant American rellies and learning more about their ancestors?  This is my only branch with ties to America and I am wondering if it is worth pursuing?  Sorry for rambling on.  Thank you for your time.  :)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline geniecolgan

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Worth searching for descendants?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 July 09 22:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa,

my short answer is, I've not been very successful.

My Colgan line started in Ireland went to England thence to Canada and the States.

I did make contact with my grand aunt's descendant in California and gained her line from 1911 on but nothing else to date.
"All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 July 09 22:56 BST (UK) »
Hi geniecolgan:

Thank you for your reply.  I'm sorry you have not had success re your Colgan's.  I just have a feeling if I trace the Wakefield's in New Jersey that I will come up short.

While I was sitting here  ::) I tried more google searches and since the last time of searching, did come across a site that I hadn't seen before.  I sent an email; keeping my fingers crossed that someone responds.

I wish you more luck with your Colgans and thank you again for your response.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline geniecolgan

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 July 09 23:13 BST (UK) »
Keep trying Lisa.

I was tickled pink when made my one contact. It made for an enjoyable collaboration.
"All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 July 09 02:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the words of encouragement.  I've been researching for many years, so at times I get a bit frustrated (I'm sure we all do).  ;)

On the other hand, a few years ago I contacted someone from my dad's side and I was fortunate enough to meet him when he travelled here from England!  The odd thing is, even though our families had not corresponded in over 105 years (and possibly over 125 years) we both had the same (incorrect!) family tale about our ancestor leaving France and settling in England.  He supposedly fled France during the French Revolution.  However, he was already in England before the revolution!  ::) ;D  Family tales are great, aren't they?  ;)