Author Topic: Stout Simpson 1893 #COMPLETED#  (Read 1462 times)

Offline Dougalgeorge

• RootsChat Senior
  • Marjorie Aspinall
    • View Profile
Stout Simpson 1893 #COMPLETED#
« on: Saturday 11 July 09 23:09 BST (UK) »
Hi.  :)

I wonder if anyone can find Stout Simpson anywhere for me?  This is driving me mad.  I know he was born in 1893 in Hyde. He married Amy Beeley in 1919, but where did they go after that? This is turning into my nemesis !!   ::)

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Blackbird - Swalwell, Durham
Aspinall - Newton by Hyde, Ashton Under Lyne, Glossop, Westhoughton
Simpson - Hyde, Cheshire
Milne - Stonehaven, Scotland
Robertson - Dundee
Porter - Alnwick, Northumberland

Offline down-under

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Stout Simpson 1893
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 July 09 01:43 BST (UK) »
Hello

Looking up the marriage
Amy Beeley march quarter 1919 Ashton Lancashire/Cheshire 8d 746 spouse Simpson but the Simpson name would not come up.
I found Stephen Simpson spouse Beeley march quarter 1919 8d 745 spouse beeley would not come up.
Hard to read the last number.

Anyway do you think that Stout changed his name to Stephen, what is on the marriage certificate?
He may have been teased about the name Stout??

Is it possible they migrated?

Pam
oakley, Leadbeater, Hemming, Jones, Pearsall, Page,------ Aston, Leominster, Balsall Heath, Tewkesbury, Kings Norton, Birmingham.

census information are crown copyright of www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dougalgeorge

• RootsChat Senior
  • Marjorie Aspinall
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 July 09 09:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Pam,

I found the marriage on Cheshire BMD with Stout transcribed as `Stont` !  They were married at Rosemount Trinity Methodist Chapel, at Newton by Hyde. Stout lived at 230 Dukinfield Rd, Newton Hyde on the 1911 census and was a grocers assistant.

Stout was my G Grandmothers brother, and I haven`t looked into him much, but I remember my Gran talking about Uncle Stout a lot, probably more than any other relative, so I thought I would see if I could trace where he went.  I don`t know where the name Stout came from, and maybe he did change his name or migrate, it would explain why I can`t find him. There was a rumour that Stout and Amy went to Mumbles in Wales, but others say they aren`t sure they did.

I want to find him as he was such a favourite to my beloved Gran. Even if it drives me mad, and it probably will.  I was up till 4am this morning, trying everything I could think of !!! ::)
Simpson - Hyde, Cheshire
Robertson - Dundee

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 July 09 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hi...on www.freebmd.org.uk  the birth and marriage of Stout Simpson are registered Ashton U Lyme...I have gone to births for Simpson MMN Beeley....No Matches...Death for Stout Simpson...No Matches.....death for Amy Simpson...No Matches....so it would appear very likely they emigrated....as did many people (newly weds) right after WW1...they were hard times here in England...USA was a better life.....just a thought....allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline JDGen

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 July 09 12:32 BST (UK) »
Hi,

If you check the image on the GRO index it clearly says Stout - so it's a mistranscription.

Tameside Local Studies have put many of their burial records online and Stout is there - he died in May 1956 and is buried at Hyde Cemetery - Amy is also buried there, she died in December 1987 (click on the grave reference).

http://public.tameside.gov.uk/candc/regenq2.asp?RecNo=127874

Amy Simpson born 25 Sep 1893, age at death 94, registered Stockport Dec 1987 Vol 39 Page 1347.

So it looks as if they never left the area....

Hope this helps,

Jean
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

CHS: Barber(Tabley) Barlow(Antrobus) Blackshaw(Lymm, Mobberley) Blease/Done/Moore(G Bud) Owen(Netherton, Tabley) Spragg/Witter(Goostrey) Youd(Frodsham) Pennell Bankes Birchall Beckett
DBY: Higginbottom(Mellor)
HRT: Gurney
HRT/BED/ESS: Verney (Markyate St)
LAN: Davenport(Bolton) Schofield/Gurney(Oldham) Lord(Heap) Quinn(Manchester) Sutcliffe(Rossendale)
NTH: Tubb/Johnson(Hellidon)Brown(Kettering)
YKS: Scott(Clapham)

Offline Dougalgeorge

• RootsChat Senior
  • Marjorie Aspinall
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 July 09 18:13 BST (UK) »
 ;D Yes Jean, this is brilliant news. I`ll now look to see what else I can find out about them.

Thank you very, very much to Jean, Allan and Pam. 

Kindest regards
Tracey
Simpson - Hyde, Cheshire
Robertson - Dundee

Offline Dougalgeorge

• RootsChat Senior
  • Marjorie Aspinall
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 July 09 19:01 BST (UK) »
Hello again.

Have you any idea if there are any websites that may have records of grave inscriptions for Hyde cemetery?  Or anything like that? 

::) What a pest !!!

TTFN
Tracey
Simpson - Hyde, Cheshire
Robertson - Dundee

Offline JDGen

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 22 August 09 10:16 BST (UK) »
Sorry Tracey, I'd missed this post.  As far as I know there aren't any for the cemetery.  Cheshire Family History Society do have MI transcriptions and list what is available here:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/06xx/

The cemetery may be able to confirm if there is a stone, or you could post a separate request with the information for the plot and see if anyone is going to Hyde and could have a look for the grave for you assuming you are unable to visit yourself.

Hope this helps,

Jean

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

CHS: Barber(Tabley) Barlow(Antrobus) Blackshaw(Lymm, Mobberley) Blease/Done/Moore(G Bud) Owen(Netherton, Tabley) Spragg/Witter(Goostrey) Youd(Frodsham) Pennell Bankes Birchall Beckett
DBY: Higginbottom(Mellor)
HRT: Gurney
HRT/BED/ESS: Verney (Markyate St)
LAN: Davenport(Bolton) Schofield/Gurney(Oldham) Lord(Heap) Quinn(Manchester) Sutcliffe(Rossendale)
NTH: Tubb/Johnson(Hellidon)Brown(Kettering)
YKS: Scott(Clapham)

Offline Dougalgeorge

• RootsChat Senior
  • Marjorie Aspinall
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 22 August 09 10:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you Jean,  :)

Funnily enough, I have just gone back to this part of the family to see if they had any children. My Granny always mentioned Stout and Amy, so I feel a connection to them and would love to know if they had any children. No luck so far though.

I`m in Cyprus so a visit to the grave is unlikely, unfortunately.

Thanks for the ideas for the cemetery.

Regards
Tracey

Simpson - Hyde, Cheshire
Robertson - Dundee