Author Topic: Argentine tracing her Irish ancestors  (Read 5371 times)

Offline Merkelly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Argentine tracing her Irish ancestors
« on: Monday 13 July 09 01:36 BST (UK) »
Hi!
I'm Mercedes Kelly and I'm trying to find something about  my Irish ancestors. This is the information I have:
My great-great grand father: Michael Kelly Spallan. Born: 1841. His parents were Matthew Kelly and Mary (or Margaret?) Spallan.
Great-great grand mother: Anne Beyrne (Byrne?) Meeks. she was born in 1853. Her parents were John Byrne (born in Westmeath, 1824) and Mary Meeks (Mullingar, 1828). My great-great grand mother had been previously married to James Clohesey Nylon (born in 1848)

My great-great grand mother's family came to Argentina around 1869. They settled down in Zarate.
My great-great grand father's family settled down in the North west of the Buenos Aires Province (Lincoln city).

I do not know why they decided to move here. I do not know if part of the family is still living in Ireland. If in doubt, do not hesitate to write. I'd highly appreciate any detail or information.
Regards,
Mercedes Kelly

Offline Merkelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Argentine tracing her Irish ancestors
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 July 09 02:50 BST (UK) »
George Kelly,
got your message. Very useful information. I'd have liked to send you a message instead of writing here, but I do not know how :P .Hope you see this message. If so, could you please write to me again and send me you e-mail address??? I still have many questions and I think that you could be of great help!
Thanks,
Mercedes

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 July 09 09:02 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, Mercedes. You aren't allowed to post personal details such as email address, phone numbers, etc. online here but after you've made 3 posts you will be able to use PM (Personal Message) system to contact other Rootchatters privately.
www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Merkelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 July 09 16:01 BST (UK) »
I'm sorry. Finally, I was told that if i posted something else i would be able to send personal messages. Therefore, there was no need to leave e-mail addresses or any kind of personal details.

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 May 10 12:45 BST (UK) »
Hi mercedes,

have a look at irishargentine.org. there is lots of info there to help you. i am aware that i have kelly ancestors that went from westmeath to argentina. visited argentina in 2004 and met up with walsh cousins who are descendents of the walsh faimly of ballinea, mullingar. you could try writing a letter to the westmeath examiner, dominick st. mullingar by email - they havve a website - giving the info you gave here. none of the other surnames ring a bell. if your family came from westmeath, they are likely to feature on passenger lists or in coughlans settlement lists. you could also check out the southern crosss newspaper in buenos aires, they were very helpful to me and also have a website.
cheers,

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 May 10 14:34 BST (UK) »

From irlandes.org;
Spallan Margaret  MARRIED Elliff  BORN Ballynacarrigy, co. Westmeath 1841  DIED Aargentina    1910

Meeks Mary  MARRIED Beyrne Mullingar WEM BORN 1828     DIED ARGENTINA 1906   

it also lists
Beyrne John   SPOUSE Meeks   WEM BORN 1824 1855   1880 34   

Beyrne Anne       
Beyrne James  SPOUSE Murray     
Beyrne Peter SPOUSE Kelly     
Beyrne John Patrick SPOUSE Dalton     
Beyrne Thomas       

hope this helps.

Offline Merkelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 May 10 01:54 BST (UK) »
 Thanks a lot! IŽll check out this information. Just a question, are you sure that you found this at "irlandes.org"? I could only find things related to the "Irish language" but no immigrant records. :) 
Regards,
Mercedes

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 May 10 16:23 BST (UK) »
Irish Settlers in Argentina by MKA O'Connor
Meeks, Mary, Beyrne, Mullingar, WEM, 1828, 1906, 34. www.irlandeses.org/set16.htm is where i found it. But it is all available on the other site I mentioned.