Author Topic: help matching certificates  (Read 1361 times)

Offline Sarahx1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
help matching certificates
« on: Wednesday 15 July 09 00:20 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have been researching my family tree for a while now and thought i was on the right track.
But now i am a little confused.
It seems that on 1 Birth certificate it has the parents marriage in 1889,  but I always thought it was in 1899. i tried searching for the 1889 marriage on ScotlandsPeople but I could only find 1 match throughout Scotland and that was the 1899 Marriage i have.

I have a John McDonald and Jeannie white, so i searched for there Marriage.
and it gave me their parents names
Jeannie White's Parents were James white and Martha McKenzie.
It said John was John Reid Known as McDonald.
John's parents were Charles McDonald and Elizabeth Reid. I noticed that it said Elizabeth Reid, Subsequently Married to Charles McDonald. So i thought that meant they weren't Legally Married and that would explain John's name.

I found the Marriage for Charles McDonald and Elizabeth Reid and it was in 1899. There was only 1 match  throughout Scotland on SP, Names and occupations all match so i thought that has to be it.

I then found a census for Charles McDonald and family and the dates, occupations, age's and names all matched. It also told me that Charles and Elizabeth Had another child, Catherine McDonald.
I then Found Catherine's Birth Certificate and it showed she was born in 1899 illegitimate.
the census also told me where each of them were born.

This was all fine i was on track until i searched for John (Reid) McDonald's Birth. there was a match on SP of where the census said he was born.. I opened it and it had the correct names of parents and their occupations. However it said Charles McDonald and Elizabeth Reid was married in 1889 Perth
different from what i had.. This is 10 years Earlier. This would mean that the illegitimate statement on Catherine McDonald's birth was wrong, and why would John be called john Reid known as McDonald if his parents were married before he was born in 1893-+1. ?

The only explanation i have is Could Charles McDonald and Elizabeth Reid have lied about being married?

??? ??? ???

Sarah :)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: help matching certificates
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 July 09 08:54 BST (UK) »
hi sarah  :)

i would suspect the marriage on the birth certificate
apparently there was no legal requirement to povide proof of marriage when
registering a birth
what the couple said had to be accepted
however something else to keep in mind is an irregular marriage possibly followed by the "official" marriage in 1899
here is a link for this subject

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,348725.0.html

another can of worms  :-\

ev

Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline lynne kathrine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 February 13 23:37 GMT (UK) »
hi there

your John Reid known as McDonald, would have been possibly written as that because Charles acknowledged him as his son (possibley present at time of registering), without showing a marriage cert at the time when John was registered the info would have been taken from the parents present when registering ;D
Mcdonald-Munro-Mcintosh-Ross-McArter-Urquhart- Cruickshank-Hosack. Croll-Brown-Leckie-Medley. Melville-Hamilton-Bell
Paterson-Ewing-North-Munro-Kemp-Jack

Areas: (Highlands) Cromary and Ross-Sutherland-Dundee.Fife-Kirkintilloch-Lenoxtown. Belfast-Australia-New Zealand

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 March 13 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Sounds like the 1889 was an error, not the 1899 - it happens

I had a similar situation

you could go to the GROs and apply for a change - it costs and you have to supply evidence in respect of the error. - not really worth it.