Author Topic: FARRELLS from Tipperary -help  (Read 8050 times)

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: FARRELLS from Tipperary -help
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 23 July 09 20:58 BST (UK) »
There was just one RC church in Borrisokane
The original parish records as held in local custody probably the local Parish Priest BORRISOKANE
Fr. Tom O'Halloran P.P., Borrisokane, Co. Tipperary. Tel. 067-27105 Fax. 067-27821
Fr. J. J. Rodgers C.C., Borrisokane, Co Tipperary.
067-27140

The North Tipperary Genealogy and Heritage Service has copies and these are available online view to search but to view costs 5euros per record site  http://online.brsgenealogy.com/
The National Library Dublin has a microfilm of the original registers Ref Microfilm P 2483.
They don't offer a research service so you either have to call in person or get someone to search for you. But if you already have the baptismal records it is doubtful if you will get anymore relevant information from any of these sources.  You may be able to track some of the male children by getting their  marriages and then their children which may bring you to the 1901 census but it doesn't always work.
annclare

Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline clarence

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 24 July 09 12:53 BST (UK) »
Hello annclare

Thanks for the information. Good to know I am dealing with only one parish. It gets a little confusing with civil parishes and religious parishes.

The baptism certificate I have, tells me who the parents are and the sponsors so that is something I am working from. I have bought a couple of marriage certificates from the The North Tipperary Genealogy and Heritage Service . I thought I would try with the girls first as the names are a little different.

Two marriages I now have are  Honora Farrell who married a William Salmon on 14 Jan 1863 in the Parish /District LORRHA.  Sarah Farrell (Sally) married William Moor 16 Aug 1858 in COURNAGANEEN (Bourney) No parents recorded on either certificates. Are these parish/districts still part of Borrisokane?

As I am in Australia, the National Library in Ireland is a little out of my reach  - only in my dreams!  Does the film contain births, marriages and deaths?

Kind Regards

Clarence

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 24 July 09 13:02 BST (UK) »
....the National Library in Ireland is a little out of my reach  - only in my dreams!  Does the film contain births, marriages and deaths?

Kind Regards

Clarence

Microfilm P 2483 contains baptisms and marriages from about 1821 to 1880.  There is a note on the NLI index document that many pages of Marriage register are illegible. (I think that applies to the very early section 1821-1835)

see : www.nli.ie/en/parish-register.aspx

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline clarence

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 24 July 09 13:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,

Regarding the film number, would I be looking at Tipperary in the Diocese of Cashel & Emly? Film No P 2495- P 2496?

Clarence

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 24 July 09 13:47 BST (UK) »
sorry I wasn't really following the thread - but anneclare mentioned that film...

P 2483 / parish of Borrisokane & Uskean /Diocese of KILLALOE

it seems to the RC parish which applies to Borrisokane - see the Irish Times Tipperary (North Riding) map : http://www.rootschat.com/links/06rg/

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 24 July 09 17:55 BST (UK) »
Clarence

The parishes for the marriages you have are two distinct parishes in the diocese of Killaloe - The Honora Farell marriage was in Lorrha RC parish National Library m-film ref p2480.Sarah'd marriage was in Bourney RC parish NLI ref m-film P2478. This is somewhat surprising because generally a marriage took place in the home parish of the bride which would make one   wonder if these are the marriages of two sisters. Of course the family could have moved from one parish to the other.  The records held by the North Tipperary Heritage Society should be the same as those on the microfilms in the National Library or the original registers that are in local custody. Though one should  allow for transcript errors.

Do you have a copy of the marriage registration  for  Martin Farrell in 1874 - This should give father's name and residence for both bride and groom and usually (but not always) residence for the bride and groom if different .
Residence  could be a starting point for searching the 1901 Census for other family members. For BMD's after 1864 (For RC's) you can search the Irish civil registration Index at http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=0 and can order the cert at www.groireland.ie
There is one showing for a Martin Farrell Borrisokane registration district in 1874 Volume 8 page 805 which might be apossibility but there is no certainty until you order the cert.
Hope this is of help
annclare

Offline clarence

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 26 July 09 06:58 BST (UK) »
Hello annclaire,

I have what you would call an 'extract' for Martin's marriage. It has date 30/5/1874  then  Martin's name, Margaret  Murphy's name then the  name of the 2 witnesses. It also has Church of Ireland/Roman Catholic Parish - Borrisokane. The one you mentioned for Martin in 1874 could possibly be the correct one.

I did notice in the  'gro' link you sent me,  they do keep copies of  children born at sea if parents are Irish. Could this may be another way of finding out where they  lived. Martin and Margaret had a son Denis on the ship on the way to Australia. I do have a copy of the birth certificate from here in Australia but it only has parish of Borriskane as a place.

Regarding the marriage certificates I did purchase from IFHF, they were just a guesses. Whenever I put in Borrisokane parish, I didn't get any result for Honora.  Assuming they married when they were between about 18 and 20. On the birth records I have for Sarah, her name is down as Sally. (I gather Sally is a another name for Sarah.)

I have been to the my local family history library to see if I can unravel some of the mysteries of the parishes but I think I am more confused than when I started  ???

Regards

Clarence

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 26 July 09 16:22 BST (UK) »
Clarence

Re 1874 marriage cert for Martin the ref on the Family record search site  appears to be the correct one as Margaret Murphy's marriage registration 1874 Borrisokane dist gives the same ref vol 8 p 305. By getting a copy you will possibly get bride and groom's residence at the time and both fathers' name and occupation - sometimes you will get father's residence but not always. It may be worthwhile.
Am not familiar with births at sea so I can't make any suggestion but I suspect there would nothing more than you already have in the birth cert for Denis. But I could be completely wrong.

One other possible lead there is a death registration for a Hugh Farrell in 1905 Borrisokane district giving age at death as 58 which does not tie in with your baptism date for Hugh but could be worth following up. The brsgenealogy site is also showing it and a 1901 census record. Again there is no certainty that this is the correct Hugh but it is the only one showing in both sites under Borrisokane.

Good Luck
annclare

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 27 July 09 16:21 BST (UK) »
Origns Network gives Ellen, Michael, James Farrell as having lands leased in Borrisokane in Killen, Goatstown, Sheesheraghmore and Tombrickane to various values of £1-12-0 to £3-5-0