Author Topic: Simon Thomson Brock died Candlemakers Row 1920  (Read 9106 times)

Offline ED2005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Simon Thomson Brock died Candlemakers Row 1920
« on: Friday 17 July 09 14:22 BST (UK) »
Looking for any information on Simon Thomson Brock or his wife, Mary Hendry, and family. He was born in Thurso, Caithness on August 20 1862 and died at 37 Candlemakers Row, Edinburgh in 1920, aged 57, witnessed by his son William. I last have him in the 1881 Census working in Aberdeen, but can't seem to find him in any of the Census returns after that. His final occupation was given as a Dock Labourer, so maybe he had been a Seaman before that and this is why I can't find him... Any ideas welcome.
Edwards, Grieve, Talbert in Angus and Kincardineshire; Allan, Dundas, Hacket, Milne, Reid in Aberdeen and Orkney; Brock in Thurso and Aberdeen; Rennie in Aberdeenshire to name but a few...

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Simon Thomson Brock died Candlemakers Row 1920
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 July 09 14:55 BST (UK) »
Hi

1891: 11 Sea Mount Place, Aberdeen St Nicholas
Parish 168/1, ED 59, pg 21, HS 125
Head: William M BROCK 54, Stone Polisher, b Thurso, Caithnesshire
Wife: Janet T BROCK 50, b Thurso, Caithnesshire 
Son: Simon BROCK 28, Stone Polisher, b Thurso, Caithnesshire
Son: James BROCK 25, Mason, b Thurso, Caithnesshire
Son: Andrew BROCK 20, Mason, b Thurso, Caithnesshire
Son: Thomas BROCK 18, Mason, b Thurso, Caithnesshire
Son: Robert BROCK 15, Stone Polisher, bThurso, Caithnesshire
Son: John BROCK 12, b Aberdeen
Dau: Janet BROCK 10, Scholar,  b Aberdeen
Son: Malcolm BROCK 7, Scholar, b Aberdeen
Son: George BROCK 1, b Aberdeen

William snr  & Janet sure had the recipe for boys! I'd have to question the maternity of son George age 1, however, considering Janet snr is 50?

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline ED2005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 July 09 15:03 BST (UK) »
Yes, that's my guy... do you know if he's in the 1901 Census?? I couldn't find him.
Edwards, Grieve, Talbert in Angus and Kincardineshire; Allan, Dundas, Hacket, Milne, Reid in Aberdeen and Orkney; Brock in Thurso and Aberdeen; Rennie in Aberdeenshire to name but a few...

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 July 09 15:07 BST (UK) »
Yep... ;D    I bet this is him:

1901: 88 Candlemaker Row, Edinburgh New Greyfriars, St Giles,  Midlothian
Parish 685/4, ED 23, pg 6
H/Lodger: Simon T BROOKES 38, Painter, b India
W/Lodger: Mary BROOKES 38, Laundress, b Woodside, Aberdeen

They are a couple among approx 83 lodgers, in a lodging house run by a James John SMITH & family.
Most of the lodgers are married couples and families, and hae been listed in "family" order.
Perhaps the "India" bit is Mr Smith making a mistake! Or a transcription error somewhere along the way (then or now)

Cheers
AMBLY

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 July 09 15:21 BST (UK) »

Offline ED2005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 July 09 15:24 BST (UK) »
Interesting!! In the 1881 Census Simon's occupation is indeed a House Painter. It would make sense I suppose if the couple married relatively late (as he was 28 and apparently single) in the 1891 census, that they could have recently moved to the Edinburgh area and were in lodgings. Also, his father was a veteran of the Indian Mutiny... The name change would certainly explain why I could never find them. Thank you.

Offline ED2005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 April 11 19:16 BST (UK) »
More help required.... I've looked for the elusive Simon Thomson Brock in the 1911 Census and can't find any trace there either. I had believed I would find him in either Aberdeen or Edinburgh. I know he died in 1920, aged 57, at 37 Candlemakers Row, Edinburgh and the informant was his son William. I am sure his wife is either called Mary Hendry or Mary Smith. If the previous Census was correct and that was indeed him (Simon Brookes) I wonder if he could have changed his name again or was at sea/abroad perhaps. Any ideas welcome!

Offline Pambeat

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 August 12 21:58 BST (UK) »
My Grandmother Charlotte Hendry born in Dundee in 1892 was the illegimate child of Mary Hendry.  Charlotte was in contact with her brothers (half brothers?) Thomas and William Brock when she stayed in Aberdeen from the 1920s onwards. I assume they were the children of Simon Brock and Mary Hendry.

Offline ED2005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 30 August 12 11:04 BST (UK) »
This is great news... I had given up hearing any more about this particular family. I have a lot more information for you regarding Simon's family so I will hopefully be touch... Perhaps I can contact you with a personal message. In the meantime you could have a look at www.granitecityroots.com which is a website containing some information and photographs of this Brock family. I am fairly sure that Simon and Mary had a child called William, I didn't know of a child Thomas... although that is the name of one of Simon's brothers.