Author Topic: Isabella Spence McTavish/Elliott?  (Read 10534 times)

Offline JMO

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Isabella Spence McTavish/Elliott?
« on: Monday 20 July 09 13:40 BST (UK) »
Does anybody have information on Peter McGregor McTAVISH and Ellen Mary FALLS. I'm looking for their dates, children (Isabella Spence McTavish being one). the family seems to have come from Blenheim, Kent County, Ontario or Bolton, Ontario. I attach 3 (conflicting, if McTAVISH and ELLIOTT are meant to be the same person) government docs.

006046-94 (Kent Co) Thomas BURGESS, 28, lumber merchant, Bruce Co., Bala Simcoe Co., s/o Thomas BURGESS & Margaret McTAGART (McTaggart?), married Isabella Spence McTAVISH, 25, Bolton Ont., Toronto, d/o Peter McG. McTAVISH & Mary Ellen FALLS, witn: Hattie E. McTAVISH, Ella KETTYLS, both of Blenheim, 9 March 1894 at Blenheim

#013529-89 (York Co.) Thomas BURGESS, 23, b. Bruce Co, of Muskoka District, Lumberman, s/o Thomas & Margaret BURGESS, married Bella ELLIOTT, 20, b. Bolton, of City of Toronto, d/o Peter & Mary ELLIOTT, witnesses: John S. DICKSON of Newmarket & Margaret AMOS of Aurora, on 13 July 1889 at Aurora

025168-99 (Muskoka Dist) BURGESS, Helen Mary, f, b 1 Jul.1899 father -Thomas BURGESS, lumberman, mother - Isabella Spence McTAVISH, infm: ? A.M. Burgess, Bala (ed - bride was nee Elliot)

Thanks, JMO 

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Isabella Spence McTavish/Elliott?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 July 09 17:40 BST (UK) »
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/census-1881/001049-119.02-e.php?id=ON_3667347&PHPSESSID=1ifv3sgmh6mlbl4ts5jhu310i7
1881 census shows Mary Ellen McTavish (52), widow, occupation board & housekeeping living in Collingwood, Simcoe North with children
Hector William(24) Student, Catherine Elizabeth(20), Schoolteacher, Ellen Mary(19) Schoolteacher,
Thomas Gary(16) Druggist.  Hector William's death certificate lists Peter McTavish and Mary Ellen Falls as his parents.
Also listed is Spence(r?), Isabella(12) and then 5 students (aged 20 to 25) and an engine driver.
The census definitely uses Spence or Spencer as a last name for Isabella.

1891 census in Shelburne, Grey East is
Hector Mctavish(35), clergyman with wife Hattie(29) and children Hubert(4) and Elida(3).  Harriet Elida Ward married Hector William McTavish Dec 25, 1885
Also listed is Mary McTavish(62) widow, mother of Hector.

1891 census in Medora & Wood, Simcoe East is Thomas Burgess with his father and siblings but no wife-- if I have the correct record.  I haven't found Isabella McTavish in the 1891 census but did find an Isabella Spence lodging with Isaac and Martha Smale and working as a schoolteacher
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/census-1891/001081-119.02-e.php?person_id_nbr=2860411&page_sequence_nbr=1&interval=20&PHPSESSID=0c39s6fe8e6f4mst7qupoj61u2

Debbie

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 July 09 18:08 BST (UK) »
Hector Williams first wife, Harriet(Hattie) Eleda(Elida) Ward, died Dec 18, 1921, aged 60, at Caradoc Indian Reserve Middlesex, Ontario.  Place of burial Mt. Pleasant, Toronto.  Cause of death delated heart.   She was born August 24, 1861 at Ingersoll, Ontario.

Hector's second wife was Theresa Alberta Ingersoll, age at marriage 66.  Date of marriage was March 7, 1923 at Newtonbrooke, York County.  Hector's son, H. W. McTavish, was a witness.  Hector was 68 at his remarriage.

Hector William McTavish died Nov 30, 1931 at the age of 78 at the Queen Victoria Memorial Hospital, North Bay, Ontario.  His occupation was minister and date of birth Nov 16, 1853 Brampton.  cause of death - stomach carcinoma.  Iinformant was daughter May McTavish of 225 Gladstone Ave. Toronto.

Debbie

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 July 09 18:25 BST (UK) »
Hector William's children
Herbert Winfred and then changed to Hubert Winfred b. Sep 26, 1886 York county - parents residence 441 St. Clarens Ave. Toronto
Elida May b. Jan 13, 1888 York County - parents residence The Parsonage, Eglington
Gladys Isabella b. July 2, 1889 York County  d. Sept 14, 1889 @3 months Eglinton York County
Harold Russell b. Oct 11, 1892 Shelburne, Dufferin County
Douglas Ashbourne b. Sept 12, 1897 Kent County
Doris b. Mar 14, 1906 Village of Grauton?, Middlesex County

Debbie

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 July 09 19:34 BST (UK) »

Search ResultsFull text of "The Canadian Nurse and Hospital Review Volume 17"
BTRGESS On Monday, January, 1921, at Bale, Muskoka, Out., Isabella McTavish, beloved wife of Thomas Burgess. Mrs. Burgess was a member of Class 1892, ...
www.archive.org/.../thecanadiannurse17cnanuoft_djvu.txt

I didn't have the patience to scroll through the document to find the obituary notice.  If Isabella was a member of the class of 1892 it would tend to support a marriage in 1894.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 July 09 20:37 BST (UK) »
Helen Mary Burgess b. July 1, 1899 Muskoka parents Thomas Burgess and Isabella Spence McTavish
I'm not sure why there was an edited note to indicate her mother's maiden name was Elliott as her birth record doesn't indicate that.
Katherine Isabel Burgess b. Nov 2, 1905 parents Thomas burgess and Isabell McTavish
Edith Muriel b. May 3, 1895 Medora & Wood, Muskoka parents Thoomas Burgers Jr. Isabell McTavish

It might be logical to assume that Thomas was married to Bella Elliott in 1889, she died and he moved back in with his parents until his marriage in 1894 to Isabella McTavish.  The record of this marriage does indicate bachelor rather than widower.  I haven't been able to pull up a record of death for Bella Burgess in the early 1890s and I haven't yet looked for her in previous census.

Debbie

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 July 09 23:10 BST (UK) »
http://boards.ancestry.ca/surnames.jewitt/16.2.1/mb.ashx
Link with information on dates for Edith Burgess and her children with Thomas Jewitt.

Debbie

Offline JMO

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 July 09 23:20 BST (UK) »
Wow. You're really good. It's funny because while the dates fit, the SPENCE seems to have been taken for her last name rather than second name.
I'm still curious about the ELLIOTT name. Do you think that this was just an error as was the 1889 marriage record for Thomas Burgess of Bala, Ont. and Bella Elliott?
The doc says that her parents were both born in Scotland. Do you know how I can find out where they came from in Sclotland?
She's a bit  of a mystery woman. Her date of birth is 10 Feb., 1869 or 1870 and she was, as one doc says, a school teacher and later she became a nurse to Dr. Alexander McTaggart Burgess, her brother-in-law, of Bala, Ont.
Thanks a lot, Debbie. Your efforts have really helped my research come along.

JMO

Offline JMO

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 July 09 23:33 BST (UK) »
Katherine Isabel Burgess White, 2 Nov. 1905 - 1 Mar. 1935, is my grandmother.
I wonder, and I'll just throw this out there, if Bella Elliot was the woman that Thomas Burgess Sr., 23 Sept. 1823 - 27 Apr. 1901, married after the death of his first wife, Margaret McTaggart Burgess, 1841- 19 Dec. 1877. Apparently Thomas Sr. married again but his new wife was far from agreeable so his older children sent her packing.  :o

JMO