Author Topic: 1851 Auglisnafin. My Gt Grandmother Eliza McDowell.  (Read 3398 times)

Offline Mabes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1851 Auglisnafin. My Gt Grandmother Eliza McDowell.
« on: Monday 20 July 09 16:57 BST (UK) »
Trying to trace the background of her family, she was born 1851 Auglisnafin area, near Castlewellan, I think she may have had a brother James Henry, her father was also James.  She appears on the 1911 Census unfortunately died the year after.  Would love to know more of the McDowell side of the family.  I would appreciate any info on her family. Kind Regards.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1835 Auglisnafin. My Gt Grandmother Eliza McDowell.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 July 09 17:55 BST (UK) »
There's a Will Extract on PRONI website for a James McDowell of Aughlisnafin with probate granted to James Henry McDowell.
With a bit of searching in index to civil registrations you should be able to find James' age-
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails;t=searchable;c=1408347
See also this fantastic Co. Down website-
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/Afrontpage.htm
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Mabes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Auglisnafin. My Gt Grandmother Eliza McDowell.
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 July 09 19:38 BST (UK) »
Aghadowey, thanks for your reply, that familysearch website is great, although I still cant get her parents name. Who was Eliza or Elizabeths mother. I have been on that great website of Ros Davies, its a wonderful site, with some great info.  Will email her sometime soon. A big thank you for your help, it is much appreciated. Mabes   :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 July 09 20:53 BST (UK) »
The only place you are likely to get the name of Elizabeth's mother is from a church baptismal record or possibly the parents' marriage certificate (if married in a non-Catholic ceremony after 1845 it will appear in civil registration index posted earlier).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Mabes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 July 09 22:03 BST (UK) »
Yes Aughadowey, her marriage to William Dornan in Feb 1869 appears in civil reg list you gave me the website for earlier.  I matched both of them individually both with same Fnos, Page ref and DGS Nos.  However I emailed the church about two weeks ago and the Rev emailed back this evening to say he will check the records for me to see if they still  have them recorded at the church.  All being well I will get good news from him.  I am new to the boards as I am sure you have guessed, and appreciate all the help I can get.  Many thanks Mabes.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 July 09 22:46 BST (UK) »
Mabes,
          From Emerald Ancestors

5 Feb 1869 In Clough 1st Presbyterian Church, Downpatrick, William Dornan married Elizabeth Mc Dowell.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Mabes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 July 09 19:46 BST (UK) »
Kingskerswell, many thanks for your reply, about to check those details on Emerald Anc.  :)