Author Topic: Help required with 1861 Wales/England census please  (Read 4869 times)

Offline MissBea

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Help required with 1861 Wales/England census please
« on: Tuesday 21 July 09 00:42 BST (UK) »
Hi

I would be grateful of any help in finding the following Thomas Edwards and his family (including Catherine and her family if possible). As you can see below, I have Thomas in 1851, 1871 and 1881, but for some reason I can not find him in 1861, I have looked in both England and Wales census, but can not find Hope, Worthen in either. I would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.
Many thanks, Sam

1851 Wales census - Hope, Montgomeryshire, Wales
Thomas Edwards 21
Catherine Edwards (sister) 20

1871 Wales census - Worthen, Hope, Montgomeryshire, Wales
Household Members:     
Name                   Age
Thomas Edwards    41
Margaret Edwards    39
William Edwards    15
Samuel Edwards    14
Thomas Edwards    12
Mary J Edwards    10
David Edwards    6
Josiah Edwards    4
Margaret Edwards    11 months

1881 England Census Worthen Shropshire, England

Household Members:     
Name    Age
Thomas Edwards    51
Samuel Edwards    23
David Edwards    16
Josiah Edwards    14
Margaret Edwards    10
James Edwards    8

C. Antrim/Ireland - McKillen, Kane, O'Kane, O'Neil, Coyle, Mallin, Donnelly, McMullen,
Scotland - Barnes, McKillen, Kean, Ross, Steel
England - Beards, Edwards, Clarke, Chinn, Chatham, McKillen, Bruton, Insull, Morgan, Tipple, Jarvis, Burgess, Hall, Walker, Swain, Morris, Kean, Kingett, Davies, Ryder.

Offline scriv2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Help required with 1861 Wales/England census please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 July 09 11:52 BST (UK) »
Hi..

I have been working on this for you.. I think the problem lies in the birth of Mary Jane ( Mar Q 1861 Montgomery? ) at around the time of the census...

Maybe she does not appear yet on the records..... or maybe the family have  split up whilst baby Mary J is being cared for?...... Maybe Margaret is staying with family members with the baby?...

Do you know Margaret's maiden name? I  found Thomas aged 11 in the 1841 census ...have you found that? ...:-

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece 909; Book: 21; Civil Parish: Worthen; County: Shropshire; Enumeration District: 8; Folio: 8; Page: 10; Line: 24; GSU roll: 474584.

Chirbury, Montgomery... with siblings Margaret 7, Katherine 9 and David 3 and mother Katherine aged 35

Our job is also that bit harder as you will no doubt have seen another Thomas and Margaret born Worthen around 1830 as well....!!!

Names :Scriven, Parlour, Vaughan, Pember,Price, Thompson, Rennie/Roney, Hannon,Taylor,Pitt,Brice

Places: Alveley, Bewdley, Rock, Dukinfield, Manchester,Limerick, Bishopstone/Dilwyn, Swarraton,Alverstoke, Middlesex

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 July 09 13:57 BST (UK) »
Hi

A considerable number of pieces from the 1861 are missing. I've just done a search on the Nat Archives site and it looks as if Worthen is one of the missing ones.

Regards

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline MissBea

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 July 09 21:53 BST (UK) »
Hi..

I have been working on this for you.. I think the problem lies in the birth of Mary Jane ( Mar Q 1861 Montgomery? ) at around the time of the census...

Maybe she does not appear yet on the records..... or maybe the family have  split up whilst baby Mary J is being cared for?...... Maybe Margaret is staying with family members with the baby?...

Do you know Margaret's maiden name? I  found Thomas aged 11 in the 1841 census ...have you found that? ...:-

Hi, Yes, Thomas is the brother of my ggrandfather, David. Margaret's maiden name was Rowson and they were married in Dec 1850 in Montgomeryshire.

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece 909; Book: 21; Civil Parish: Worthen; County: Shropshire; Enumeration District: 8; Folio: 8; Page: 10; Line: 24; GSU roll: 474584.

Chirbury, Montgomery... with siblings Margaret 7, Katherine 9 and David 3 and mother Katherine aged 35

Our job is also that bit harder as you will no doubt have seen another Thomas and Margaret born Worthen around 1830 as well....!!!

Margaret was born in Snailbeach, the reason for my search is to try and find a living male Edwards with clear paternity to David Edwards snr for dna testing if possible, but it is bloody hard work!!!!

Many thanks for your help though!
C. Antrim/Ireland - McKillen, Kane, O'Kane, O'Neil, Coyle, Mallin, Donnelly, McMullen,
England - Beards, Edwards, Clarke, Chinn, Chatham, McKillen, Bruton, Insull, Morgan, Tipple, Jarvis, Burgess, Hall, Walker, Swain, Morris, Kean, Kingett, Davies, Ryder.

Offline MissBea

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 July 09 21:55 BST (UK) »
Hi

A considerable number of pieces from the 1861 are missing. I've just done a search on the Nat Archives site and it looks as if Worthen is one of the missing ones.

Regards

Gadget

Hi Gadget,

many thanks for confirming what I was starting to suspect, luckily that family stayed where it was and I have then in the census before and after.

I don't suppose you could help me with Catherine, Thomas's sister?

many thanks, Sam :-)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 July 09 22:15 BST (UK) »
I'll try but Catherine Edwards in our area is not the easiest. Do you have anything at all for her after the 1851?

Possible marriages, etc.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 July 09 22:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Sam

The nearest that I can get is a  Catherine  m. Joseph Evans  living and b. in Worthen:

1891: RG12/4596/91/1

1901:  RG13/5200/80/1

but there's also this one, so a bit confused:

1881:RG11/5492/30/9

so far can't see them in the 1871

I haven't checked for marriages or births of any children- it might be worth you following that up.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 July 09 23:34 BST (UK) »
Hi again Sam

There are no other Catherine's b.Worthen or Hope circa 1830 that are showing Eng or Wales so, unless she died or emigrated, it's a good chance that that is her.

Gadget

Offline MissBea

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 July 09 03:27 BST (UK) »
I have done some more checking and it does look like she married a John Evans from Wales and had two sons, John b1860 and David b1863, she then got married again to a Samuel Davis(Davies?) and had another child Catherine Davis b1869, most of this seems to have taken place in Denbighshire, but I can not find much record of it other than in the 1881 census when the family returns to Bilston (which is where some of the other Edwards ended up being coal miners).
I am going to give up for the night now though, but thank you very much for your help and leads :-)