Author Topic: Help required with 1861 Wales/England census please  (Read 4840 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help required with 1861 Wales/England census please
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 July 09 09:19 BST (UK) »
If you can say what part of Denbighshire it was, I'll have a detailed look - it's my 'home' county.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline scriv2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 22 July 09 09:55 BST (UK) »
I think I have Samuel 49 and Catherine Davies 60 in the 1891 census, still in Bilston
ref:-
 RG12; Piece: 2242; Folio 40; Page 1; GSU roll: 6097352

And two possible marriages where Catherine/Catharine Edwards is on same page as John Evans

Catharine Edwards .... Mar 1851 Dolgelly 27 211

Catherine Edwards .... Jun 1858 Corwen (Denbighshire,Merionethshire).. Ref 11b 674

Hope you have success..

Names :Scriven, Parlour, Vaughan, Pember,Price, Thompson, Rennie/Roney, Hannon,Taylor,Pitt,Brice

Places: Alveley, Bewdley, Rock, Dukinfield, Manchester,Limerick, Bishopstone/Dilwyn, Swarraton,Alverstoke, Middlesex

Offline scriv2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 22 July 09 11:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Sam

Some success to report...

I have Catherine and Samuel Davis in the 1871 census in Bilston...

John 11 and David 8 are entered as Davis,not Evans ....and Catherine is there aged 2.

RG10; Piece: 2950; Folio: 82; Page: 29; GSU roll: 836422.

Samuel's place of birth is entered as Wrexham... Catherine's as Worthen...John as Bilston ...and David and Catherine jnr as Wrexham.
 :) :)

Names :Scriven, Parlour, Vaughan, Pember,Price, Thompson, Rennie/Roney, Hannon,Taylor,Pitt,Brice

Places: Alveley, Bewdley, Rock, Dukinfield, Manchester,Limerick, Bishopstone/Dilwyn, Swarraton,Alverstoke, Middlesex

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 22 July 09 12:05 BST (UK) »
The Corwen Registration district covered a wide area of Denbighshire and Merionethshire. Wrexham and Oswestry were neighbouring districts.

The best place to search would be the North Wales BMD:

http://www.northwalesbmd.org.uk/

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline scriv2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 22 July 09 12:28 BST (UK) »
Wow, Gadget, that is a brilliant site, isn't it?!

And as well as the two possibilities for her marriage to John Evans, there is also this one to have a look at, Sam!!

DAVIES Samuel EDWARDS Catherine 1867 Wrexham, St Giles Wrexham County Borough (Wrexham) North Wales C45/07/38 

Hmm....

Offline scriv2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 22 July 09 12:46 BST (UK) »
This would appear to be Catherine with John Evans and son John aged 1 in the 1861 census in Bilston....

Place of birth for John aged 1 is again given as Bilston, so should make it a bit easier to trace.

Class: RG9; Piece: 2005; Folio: 108; Page: 17; GSU roll: 542901.

Offline MissBea

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 22 July 09 12:51 BST (UK) »

Hi
Yes, I had got that one, but I was having trouble with the marriage, I will look for the death of John also, which looks like it will be in Wales as the second son was born their, I guess with John snr being a coal miner that the death rate was quite high
Many thanks, Sam
C. Antrim/Ireland - McKillen, Kane, O'Kane, O'Neil, Coyle, Mallin, Donnelly, McMullen,
Scotland - Barnes, McKillen, Kean, Ross, Steel
England - Beards, Edwards, Clarke, Chinn, Chatham, McKillen, Bruton, Insull, Morgan, Tipple, Jarvis, Burgess, Hall, Walker, Swain, Morris, Kean, Kingett, Davies, Ryder.

Offline MissBea

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 22 July 09 12:53 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for all of your help and suggestions, I will look into them over the next few days!! I had been looking for Catherine for quite some time and it feels great to have the pieces slotting into place!
Many thanks again, Sam
C. Antrim/Ireland - McKillen, Kane, O'Kane, O'Neil, Coyle, Mallin, Donnelly, McMullen,
Scotland - Barnes, McKillen, Kean, Ross, Steel
England - Beards, Edwards, Clarke, Chinn, Chatham, McKillen, Bruton, Insull, Morgan, Tipple, Jarvis, Burgess, Hall, Walker, Swain, Morris, Kean, Kingett, Davies, Ryder.

Offline scriv2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 22 July 09 13:12 BST (UK) »
Me again....

I think I have John Evans in the 1891 census with wife Eliza....
Ref:  RG12; Piece: 2242; Folio 48; Page 17; GSU roll: 6097352.
They are living in Bilston (where else??) with daughter Catherine aged 1

Might be worthwhile investigating his possible marriage to Eliza Walker in Dec 1889 in Wolverhampton...I haven't tried to confirm that yet.

You must be tired today,Sam, after staying up into the early hours doing this...it is very compulsive!

Good luck,
Barbara